Eagletac P200LC2 vs 2015 Nitecore P12

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, this will be my first 1x18650 light. What would you choose and why?

My choices are the P200LC2 in XM-L2 T6 NW or the 2015 P12 in XM-L2(1000lumen version) CW. The Nitecore has a larger feature set and is $20 cheaper but, the Eagletac is smaller, lighter, has a better warranty, and is in NW tint which I prefer. I own an Eagletac D25A XM-L2 T6 NW and really like it. I have never owned or seen a Nitecore in person. Thanks for the advice guys:thumbsup:

UnderPar

Enlightened
I will go for the ET P200LC2 mainly because of better built quality and warranty. Its features may be less than the P12 but for me those are the three most usable modes that I need for a flashlight. The other features of P12 are of course uncomparable to the P200LC2 since it doesnt have the battery voltage indicator, strobe, SOS and beacon modes. IMHO

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore P12. It can tail stand (very useful when lighting a room up), strobe memory (could be useful if you walk in sketchy areas at night), a low battery/voltage indicator (very useful so you know when to change your battery without taking it out of the light), and a moonlight mode (probably the most useful feature on this light. The lowest mode on the EagleTac is 28 lumens and I wish the best of luck to you if you try to use that mode at night to preserve your night vision). Also, the size difference isn't as much as you think. Same diameter so it wouldn't make a difference in your pocket unless the light touches the bottom of your pocket. Mode switching also seems to be easier on the P12. If it helps, my P12 went through the washing machine unscathed.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
P100LC2 is a brand new model, noone got it yet so there can't be any problems with it.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repost of my response from the other thread:

I looked at the P12 also, which was doubly interesting to me because I have a friend whose business sells Nitecores and I could get it for his cost. I went with the Eagletac because:

1. For generally same performance, the Eagletac is more than a centimeter shorter. And, I didn't care about this, but it's also 22gm lighter w/o battery.
2. I like the interface better on the Eagletac. Twisting the head lets me choose my startup mode in advance, which is huge to me. Plus, the movement is more major muscle than finding a button at the head end like on the P12. Don't care about the extra modes on the P12.
3. The many Nitecore quality threads scare me a bit. Maybe not be as bad as Zebralight, but it's a little worrisome.

As a postscript, after some playing around, I'm not worried about the head loosening on its own and going into the next mode

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Im with you guys on Nitecore. I don't think they are the brand for me. I have been reading about far too many issues with them and almost none with Eagletac. I think Eagletac is definitely the more reliable and higher quality brand between the two and they have a much better warranty to boot.

Well, I am not really completely liking all the features, exc. on either so, I guess I will wait for the next wave of models and hold off on my first 1x18650 light for now. I am not really looking to collect so, I will wait for my ideal model.

On a side note, I absolutely love my new Eagletac D25A. I got the XM-L2 T6 NW version and it is great, really nice light and UI. Between it and my PD22UE I think I am good for EDC for a while anyway. Maybe I will just jump straight to a 3 or 4x18650 light:devil:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
P100LC2 is a brand new model, noone got it yet so there can't be any problems with it.

Yeah, I figured that but got a little lazy. That said I'd still go with the P100LC2 and in 6 months time we'll see that it's a more reliable light.

EDIT: After seeing Eagletac photocopy Fenix on another light, I recant my vote. That and the copy pasta of Apples website which I never cared for.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Im with you guys on Nitecore. I don't think they are the brand for me. I have been reading about far too many issues with them and almost none with Eagletac. I think Eagletac is definitely the more reliable and higher quality brand between the two and they have a much better warranty to boot.

Well, I am not really completely liking all the features, exc. on either so, I guess I will wait for the next wave of models and hold off on my first 1x18650 light for now. I am not really looking to collect so, I will wait for my ideal model.

On a side note, I absolutely love my new Eagletac D25A. I got the XM-L2 T6 NW version and it is great, really nice light and UI. Between it and my PD22UE I think I am good for EDC for a while anyway. Maybe I will just jump straight to a 3 or 4x18650 light:devil:

Just grab a P3X use primaries and call it a day. No guess work there.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
I don't think Eagletac's warranty is all that special. Most everything that can go wrong is only under a 12 month warranty.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think Eagletac's warranty is all that special. Most everything that can go wrong is only under a 12 month warranty.

I either missed something or maybe not.... never mentioned warranty. That said, I agree. Foursevens would be the best import light warranty @ 10 years. Decent lights as well.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Im with you guys on Nitecore. I don't think they are the brand for me. I have been reading about far too many issues with them and almost none with Eagletac.

So you're implying that just because there are few people who post issues with EagleTac products, that means there are only that few? 'Cause I don't believe that at all. Who knows, there could be thousands of people who have defective EagleTac lights who just don't say anything about them. Like I said in my original post, my P12 went through the washing machine and survived, still working completely fine. Also, the TM26 I received from doc went through some testing as well before he sent it over to me and it's working normally.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you're implying that just because there are few people who post issues with EagleTac products, that means there are only that few? 'Cause I don't believe that at all. Who knows, there could be thousands of people who have defective EagleTac lights who just don't say anything about them. Like I said in my original post, my P12 went through the washing machine and survived, still working completely fine. Also, the TM26 I received from doc went through some testing as well before he sent it over to me and it's working normally.

Hey Ryp,

First and last on this topic. Nitecore makes flaky lights. Period. This goes back 8+ years and a simple search will back that up. Your light works and can be laundered, this is good, everyone likes a clean light. However it doesn't make up for the YEARS of threads that are plagued with QC issues with this particular brand. Sometimes I just feel obliged to caution new members as I don't want their first light to be a lemon. On a side note remember Im commenting on the light, Im sure your a stand up guy, so don't take it personally.:)

OP: You want a reliable, well priced light with a real warranty? 4sevens is the way to go. If not Fenix.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you serious? P3X is everything but what OP wants. Big and expensive to buy and run.

He only mentioned warranty and $20 cheaper.

I have no idea whats worth what tradeoff in regards to the OP. Sometimes you start at X price and wind up at XX price.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
These two aren't exactly perfect rivals.
If you run the Eagletac P200LC2 on cr123, and use high mode; I have a feeling the PTC of the first cell will trip somewhere after 20 minutes of sustained usage. It is still going to get hot with 18650s though.
The Surefire P3X is not a 1,000 lumen light. It is a well regulated 500 lumen light. (and I don't remember if you can run 2x 17500 instead [18500 would be even better]; if you can't it will be pricey to operate)
The belt clip of the P12 looks flimsy. There is a full mode step down after three minutes, while the p200LC2 slightly drops by 15% (and gets hot)
The P12 looks more geeky; in feature set interface (and flashing light sideswitch), and not that geeky is bad. But lack of neutral-white would be an immediate disqualification.

Daveh1

Newly Enlightened
To the OP: you said in your first post that you have an Eagletac that you have had for some some, and that you love it. You may have answered your own question. I was in the same boat. I was very happy with my D25lc2 for the last 3 years. So happy, I fact, that for the last 3+ years, nothing has really grabbed my attention. Until I came across this P200lc2. Now, as far as I know, it comes with a XM-L2 U2. I am not familiar with any P200lc2 with a XM-L2 T6. But, the new Nitecore P12 also got my attention. I would recommend the Nitecore P12 or the Eagletac P200Lc2 to anyone. They are both fantastic EDC lights.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
These two aren't exactly perfect rivals.
If you run the Eagletac P200LC2 on cr123, and use high mode; I have a feeling the PTC of the first cell will trip somewhere after 20 minutes of sustained usage. It is still going to get hot with 18650s though.
The Surefire P3X is not a 1,000 lumen light. It is a well regulated 500 lumen light. (and I don't remember if you can run 2x 17500 instead [18500 would be even better]; if you can't it will be pricey to operate)
The belt clip of the P12 looks flimsy. There is a full mode step down after three minutes, while the p200LC2 slightly drops by 15% (and gets hot)
The P12 looks more geeky; in feature set interface (and flashing light sideswitch), and not that geeky is bad. But lack of neutral-white would be an immediate disqualification.

Good point. Although, I believe it to be right @ 600 Lumens for 2 hours. I really would like to know how long the Fury actually stays @ 1,000. From the graphs I've seen it looks to be 3-5 minutes IMO. The P2X is also a 600 lumen high @ start. This is unmentioned in the specs.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the cousins of the P200LC2? The P25LC2 & D25LC2 tactical?
I like that low 4th level, but it isn't clear if that level is memorized, or you have to the 3-2-3 sequence every time