Modding Surefire X-series !!!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might end up being a boring read... it's just that for the past month or two I've been crazed with the idea of modded Surefire X-series (Z2X, 6PX, G2X, G2ZX)...

Why ???

Well, when you look at it, they are relatively low cost hosts, GREAT for modding them (IF you manage to open them) and give that solid Surefire aluminum alloy/black HA anodization (from e-series, for example) in mid-size package...

Some may argue that high brand Chinese manufacturers are even better, from terms of price, modability and such but - me being me, I'm loyal to Surefire name... can't help it...

It may not be the case that those same Chinese brands might be much more affordable than going the route of getting widely spread X-series host of any kind then packing it with some punch, good LEDs and different type drivers... the difference might be rather close... but in the end, the side of this host says "Surefire"... call me weird but I love that detail on my lights... :)

So... all praise to mighty Surefire C2... but I've always was a fan of Z2... clip really not the need for mid-size EDC and Z2 gave a little more rounded look compared to C2... few minor details I didn't like about Z2-BK... glossy black anodization... really not a big fan... other detail I better not mention, it's really minor thing... anyway... Oveready jumped the gun and "fixed" both of these...

They bought bunch of 6P's and Tom did his magic - he turned them on a lathe and made Z2 out of them - round body, no flats and in the end - a beautiful black HA... in the end, we could buy limited quantity of these beautiful bodies with no grip rings for around $90-100... add Surefire black HA bezel and tailcap and you have mighty good looking Surefire black HA P60 host... that brings it to $150-200 area for host alone... I was super-close to get one, install P60 TripLED with some cool driver and call it my new favorite mid-size EDC... but... I didn't...

Enter Z2X...

From the point I saw 6PX and felt it in my hand, never was a big fan... sure, aluminum alloy of highest quality, awesome black HA but - slippery as a horny eel... then I saw Z2X... and immediately fell in love... once I had it in my hand, it impressed just as much... LOVED the feeling... perfect host for modding... EXCEPT for one fact... opening them is the issue (this includes ALL x-series metioned above - they all share the same bezel) - either unscrewing the bezel from the body or bezel ring/lens to get access to reflector/LED... they are TOUGH... if one thing gives up, the other wouldn't... so far I've drilled thru two lenses to get to internals and right now have one Z2X that I just can't unscrew the bezel from the body... it's WELDED with Red Loctite...

But... if both give up and everything is cleaned off nice and neat, then it becomes REALLY nice thing to mod - and ending result (imho) is just - awesome... so far I've modded two of my own bezels (both have stock reflector) and two for two CPF members... but basically two setups:

1st one was XPG2 driven by 3 Amp linear driver - fully user programmable... beautiful combo - I believe it overthrows stock Fury easy (can't test, no Fury around) plus - the output with proper cell is around 600 OTF with fresh cell... rather bright with good punch/throw and beautiful beam... it does require modern high-drain cell to operate at full potential - like Sony VTC5 or Samsung 25R... AW IMR 18650 cells kind of struggle to keep up... :)

2nd could be considered more "hot-rod" as it's XPL highest bin driven by special driver - allowing high to be in direct drive (so output depends on the cell used)... with Sony VTC5 or Samsung 25R cell high is between 4 and 5 Amps on high - that's over 1200 OTF lumens with fresh cell... it's noticeably brighter than XPG2 @ 3 Amps - even with twice the bigger hotspot... LOTS of lumens... :) Why is this "special" compared to real direct drive setup ??? The driver allows lowest possible resistance for high mode but thanks to extra components the driver still provides low voltage protection for the cells and lower modes controlled with super-fast PWM (silent and invisible)...

It is also possible to run these on protected cells (like AW 18650 3400mAh or similar Panasonic based cells) which will make high be less bright (hardly noticeable at those outputs) but would provide more runtime because of higher capacity and lower amperage due to higher internal resistance...

The reason for this super-long post ??? I guess just the spread of love for this highly ignored Surefire series... everybody who are interested in modding Surefire are more oriented to classic ones from the past that are harder and harder to find... but these are available and for great prices - Z2X brand new costs $80... that's with two extra primary cells and lanyard/lanyard ring... :) Love it...

Second reason is - I do mod Surefires... but I'm still not 100% sure if I'm able to offer modding x-series on regular basis like e-series mods and such... the thing that complicates this - opening them... so I will work on them, I just can't guarantee that I can open every one of them... some might get scratched in the process but - I'm trying to build a spare stock of different parts to provide more confidence that I can deliver proper mod as above... so for now, this is just a non-direct reply to few PMs that I got about modding few x-series... I'll try and give my best... :)

Two more Z2X's I plan to build next:

3rd would be an all rounder, Nichia 219B neutral white Hi-CRI at reasonable 1.5 Amps and programmable driver...

4th would be insane... Quad XPG2 driven with the same DD-Special driver as XPL version above - which would yield 7-8 amps with proper cell and provide a solid 2200 LED lumens (over 1600 OTF lumens)... plus provide a nice hand-warmer for winter times... output directly comparable with other quad XPG2 high-current setups in offer in different setups (like P60 quads)...

Thanks to everybody who had enough courage and time to read from start to end... :)

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup Tana. Always good to have options like yours for different Surefire lights. Since the bezel ring can be replaced with the stainless bezelrings (had one on my 9/11 6PX) I suppose destroying it in the process is always an option (well, if the head get´s off of the body first of course) ;)

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
only a question of time!:twothumbs

second post, third pic: the spring after a hot job! hehe...really nice:rock:

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup Tana. Always good to have options like yours for different Surefire lights. Since the bezel ring can be replaced with the stainless bezelrings (had one on my 9/11 6PX) I suppose destroying it in the process is always an option (well, if the head get´s off of the body first of course) ;)

I did the same to my old 6PX 9/11... Solarforce lens plus stock o-ring and fitment was perfect... also, it's easy to make the whole setup 100% water-tight - use a thin layer of any epoxy around where the reflector seats in the bezel... tested and proven - a great upgrade to these X-series bezels w/o losing any toughness to it... lens is still easily swappable with another any time as bezel ring is just screwed on tight...

One thing is - Xeno (or any other Z44 bezel ring) does not have the same threading as X-series bezel... but... it does bite for almost the whole turn so in the end does the job - protects the edge, stays installed as it should and it's TIGHT - no way it will detach even when dropped... of course, using threadlock would improve this tightness even more but honestly, I HATE threadlock now; after all the hell it gives me trying to open these hosts... :)

EDIT: 100% watertightness solution added to the mix of modding these bezels...

Last edited:

Mr.Freeze

Enlightened
damn, that it's not possible to use gasket/lens from c2 or 6p flashlights. for me i would prefer the watertighness version with the stock lens!
i don't like to put them into my washing machine (only folding knives) but for outdoor use it's the safer solution.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn, that it's not possible to use gasket/lens from c2 or 6p flashlights. for me i would prefer the watertighness version with the stock lens!
i don't like to put them into my washing machine (only folding knives) but for outdoor use it's the safer solution.

Not saying it's NOT water-tight... just that it MIGHT NOT BE water-tight... :) Unless I source a proper size o-rings (would need two, thin and thinner one); 1st smaller one to secure the reflector vs the lens and 2nd bigger but thinner one to provide 100% water-tightness...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes! Now were talkin! lol That is a great post Tana.

"Thanks to everybody who had enough courage and time to read from start to end... :)"

I first read: "Thanks to everybody who had enough CARNAGE". LOL

I like the idea of this fully programmable Nichia. Something like one I could program a super moon (sub 1 lumen?) and then a nice 200 lumen high. Ultra efficient with a long runtime would be really slick.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fixable... by gluing reflector around the edge - thin layer of AA does the job... then using stock o-ring over it with glass lens and Xeno bezel... tested and tried, works like a charm... :)

For the Quad XPG2, today I made a custom aluminum ring that fits the same edge where the reflector was and does the same job - provide tight fit with stock o-ring and 2mm UCL or Borofloat lens and provides 100% water-tightness...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's cooler than Z2X Quad direct drive ??? TWO OF THEM, of course... :)

XPL direct drive bezel on the left is there just as a poser but not too shy in output... keyword: direct drive - so 5 Amp for XPL but over 8 Amp for Quad's...

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean work indeed.

I use the FET Direct Drive Driver from mtnelectronics. It has 5 modes and all the benefits for DD, but with lower modes when my lights get too hot to handle.

5A on a single XPL sounds insane....love it!

best,
bigC

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Z2X Quad parts breakdown:

1. Xeno stainless steel bezel ring
2. 2mm UCL lens
3. Stock lens o-ring
4. Custom metal part #1: Aluminum ring, ensures proper lens fitment and water-tightness
5. Quad copper PCB with quad optics, patiently awaiting chosen LEDs with matched Vf
6. Custom metal part #2: Big chunk of snug fit aluminum, to be tightened to bezel with two screws with some help of Arctic Silver 5
7. Errrrrr... bezel
8. Custom metal part #3: Slightly more mass for whole temp-management but more importantly, driver's snug place

Also, there is enough room around PCB for some glow stuff like GITD epoxy/tape (in variable shapes), maybe even tritiums...

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean work, nice!

Clean work indeed.

I use the FET Direct Drive Driver from mtnelectronics. It has 5 modes and all the benefits for DD, but with lower modes when my lights get too hot to handle.

5A on a single XPL sounds insane....love it!

best,
bigC

Thanks, guys...

As for the driver, I'm pretty much going to use the same thing... FET based, MCU controlled but single sided - back side leaves room for fat custom made beryllium silver plated spring... Modes setup can range from one simple group of 3/4/5 or so modes, ascending or descending per choice over more complex firmwares from Dr.Jones ("guppydrv" with lot of user-selectable pre-set groups of modes to his "lucidrv" fully programmable driver with two mode groups and choice to pick any setup we want)...

Last edited:

tjhabak

Enlightened
Wow! I love the E series, but this mod is enough to pull me away from the little buggers, and pick up a 6PX. A direct drive quad WITH lower modes too! The best of both worlds, and insanely BRIGHT!!!😎 All assembled by one of the most meticulous modders that ever walked the earth! SIGN ME UP!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updates on Z2X Quad DD-S (Direct Drive Special)...

After a LONG wait I finally got some Judco switches but also awesome Tofty's +10A switch he custom makes... and Tofty's switch just poped inside Surefire tailcap with no problems - diameter is almost as threads inside the tailcap so it's nicely fixed... I will not use retaining ring with it - so upon unscrewing the tailcap it's easy to just pull the switch out - but when screwed down on body it's tight and proper just like stock tailcap is; watertight as well (body presses on switch which presses onto boot, no water passes there)... I plan to swap cells by unscrewing bezel anyway - and that's how I'll lock-out the flashlight as well against accidental activation... the only thing that differs it from stock Z2X is that body/tailcap gap is 1.4mm bigger than when McClicky with brass adapter is installed - something easy to fix with two blue o-rings (thanks Andy) - the main thing is - Z2X keeps the stock form... :twothumbs

So, all planned parts (hand made like heatsink, alu-centering adapter, driver brass insert or few I had on order like optics, copper PCB, switch) are finally here so just need some time of my own to assemble it... well... Need programmable MCU for this DD-S driver, that should be in within 6-7 days... also have few high-amp small springs on order and waiting to arrive any day that I plan to use on bezel side so there is at least 3-4mm movement for cell inside the body - Tofty switch will have proper height brass bar, no springies there...

Blue GITD tape around optics will fulfill the overall black/blue look of it... :thumbsup:

Last edited: