D36 LED....anything new?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
First let me say wow this place has grown and I am attempting to ease back into my light hobby after some time away. I have a renewed interest again and was sorting through some older lights tonight and found two of my old favorite duty lights. Both are the M90 Wolf-Eyes with the D36 head. I have at least 15 of the old lumens factory hot rod incan drop ins for these however nothing in LED.

I know they once made a few 36mm P7 drop ins however searching online has gave me nothing. Everything is either discontinued or while I found some in the 36mm size they would not fit the M90 due to contact issues. I am not up to date with all the newer advances and wanted to ask if anyone knows of a 36mm currently made drop in that may work. One of my M90s is a beat up duty light however the other is in mint condition and it is way too pretty to let it sit. I have mostly moved away from incans long ago due to those pesky blown bulbs in the field.

Thank you for any suggestions and I have some reading to do. I am excited to see so many advances and had almost forgotten how much this place simply kills my cash flow.....I already have way too many lights.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back Robocop. I'm not super familiar with the d36 configuration but I know Nailbender offers several drop ins in that size. You can check out his website custom lites.

I believe Oveready may also have a D36 size light engine.

Robocop

Thank you geo and nailbenders stuff was found when I first started searching and I was told his modules do not fit the M90 version. I will look over the oveready options and thanks again.

Johan

Newly Enlightened
I have a wolf eyes M90, with the extension tube for three 18650 batteries. It is showing its age vs new LED's but is still a useful light. It would be great to drop an XML or XHP into this guy. If we can't buy a drop-in replacement D36, is there a way we can mod the M90? Is there a D36 that is a close fit that we can somehow mod it to fit?

Lumens Factory made a 250 and 300 lumen D36 drop in for the M90. Won't gain any lumens but maybe a good amount of runtime.
http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...Lumen-Lamp-for-Pila-and-Wolf-Eyes_p_2621.html

Robocop

johan I have tried to find a way to make several drops in work that I have laying around and this m90 bezel simply will not take any. I looked at some of those lumens factory ones and was very disappointed to see such weak output. I will continue looking around and thank you all again

Robocop

I believe I may have found a possible drop in. I know I checked Lumens Factory in the past as I have many of their incan drop ins. These XML drop ins were not on their site then or maybe I just missed them however this looks to be what I am looking for. The problem is that it does not say what it is compatible with. It looks close in general shape to my other incan d36 drop ins that do work and I may buy one just to try.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=311&cid=3&sid=8&page=1

Johan

Newly Enlightened
I believe I may have found a possible drop in. I know I checked Lumens Factory in the past as I have many of their incan drop ins. These XML drop ins were not on their site then or maybe I just missed them however this looks to be what I am looking for. The problem is that it does not say what it is compatible with. It looks close in general shape to my other incan d36 drop ins that do work and I may buy one just to try.

http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=311&cid=3&sid=8&page=1

I sent lumens factory an e-mail about their XM-L D36 lamps, and this is what they sent me.

To: Johan
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: D36 LED lamp modules

Hi,

No, it doesn't.
Only the D36-LED first generation modules fit the M90.
It is this one:
http://www.lumensfactory.com/online_shop_product.php?id=69&cid=3&sid=8&page=1

Thank you.

Gabriel

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:41 AM
Subject: D36 LED lamp modules

Is the lamp below compatible with a wolf-eyes M90 flashlight? Does it work with 2x or 3x 18650 configuration? Thank you.

D36 XM-L2 Reflector Module (Tactical Single Mode)

Johan

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the lumensfactory drop-ins that *do* fit, would it be possible to replace the older emitter with an XM-L and get it to work?

We know the lamp assembly should fit, it has a wide voltage range, would replacing the emitter cause any problems?

Robocop

Thanks for the effort johan and I knew it sounded too good to be true on that XML drop in. It seems like the old M90 style just got left behind as nothing I find fits it. As far as making something to fit I have tried to figure a way to use a spare incan module that does fit and adapt a driver and XML to it. It did not work for several reasons. If I use the incan reflector host the led would have to use a pedestal mount set up and a driver of about 12mm diameter. Heat would most likely be an issue....especially with my limited modding skills and tools....ha.

I have tried to figure a way to adapt several m60 drop ins with no luck and even considered a direct drive set up again with no luck. I may actually go ahead and purchase the one I linked above and try to mod it to fit the M90. If it does not go well at least I would have a spare driver and emitter for other mods.

Robocop

The weird thing is that the LF XML drop in that they say will not fit looks physically the same as my incan modules that do fit. I am not sure if there is a minor height difference or something else to prevent contact. Thanks again Johan for the research

Johan

Newly Enlightened
Robocop,

Please let me know if you find a workable solution, as I will probably go the same route if it works.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the effort johan and I knew it sounded too good to be true on that XML drop in. It seems like the old M90 style just got left behind as nothing I find fits it. As far as making something to fit I have tried to figure a way to use a spare incan module that does fit and adapt a driver and XML to it. It did not work for several reasons. If I use the incan reflector host the led would have to use a pedestal mount set up and a driver of about 12mm diameter. Heat would most likely be an issue....especially with my limited modding skills and tools....ha.

I have tried to figure a way to adapt several m60 drop ins with no luck and even considered a direct drive set up again with no luck. I may actually go ahead and purchase the one I linked above and try to mod it to fit the M90. If it does not go well at least I would have a spare driver and emitter for other mods.

Theres no type of adapter that's opposite of the existing for bezels is there, to go larger to smaller?

Are you sure it's a D36? My friend has an M90 and it was a variant that needed a bigger reflector. I ended up getting a "V8" dropin from DX and grinding down the lip around the edge.

If it's a D36 and you need an older LF dropin I've got one listed that might work.

Last edited:

Robocop

Leon I don't know of any adapter available and I have hundreds of other similar sized lights that I have attempted to adapt to the M90 with no luck at all.

Electro the old website I once used was from PTS who was a well known wolf-eyes dealer and yes it was a 36mm according to the website specs. They actually had two versions in the M90 Rattlesnake and another 36mm called the Raider 9D. Both used a 36mm incan drop in. The Raider bezel will fit the m90 body and as such I assume if I could find a 36mm for either one I would be happy. You may have a good idea there as I never thought about finding some cheaper DX items to experiment with. If I could find a drop in that actually fit I could always swap the driver and emitter to whatever I wanted.

The Raider body is this one.... http://www.wolf-eyes.com/images/9D/9DAX.jpg

And the M90 that I have two of is here... http://www.wolf-eyes.com/images/M90/M90AX.jpg

Robocop

Phaser the M90 was a very good duty light for me years back and it is funny to see my very old posts about this light. I bought many higher power incan drop ins for this light and ran several different battery set up with extensions. I would go on and on about how I would never switch to an LED for a main duty light.....yeah whatever. Today I run nothing but LED as I became very tired of switching out blown bulbs in the field and technology caught up very quick making better tinted LEDs for duty use.....funny how some die hard people can change.

I still very much enjoy my incans and have many ROP Mag mods as well as my 700 lumen M90 incan drop ins. I was so gung ho about this M90 I bought a new spare and have never used it. The M90 is perfect in size for my duty belt and I like the feel of it in general. If I can get it to about 1000 lumens with a good XM-L drop in I would make good use of this old classic just sitting on my shelf wasting away.

Because I did not follow the LED craze back then I passed up on the old P7 D36 version. It looked kind of clunky to me and I believe it was rated at 630 lumens for 95 minutes.... http://www.wolf-eyes.com/images/P7/P7-M90F.jpg I do seem to remember an actual D36 drop in from Lumens factory that was branded for the M90 however can not find any old threads nor other info on it. If nothing else if I could simply find a heat sink that fit with reflector I could find a way to mod a circuit and bare XM-L to that. I have several 16mm, 14mm, and full size star XM-Ls that I am sure would work somehow.

I was away for a while here and after trying to catch up I have been messing around with all of my old lights. Looks like I have been bitten again. I am looking at some cheap drop ins from DX and may take a shot in the dark and order a few. if I find a solution I will keep you posted.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens Factory still has an LED drop in that will fit the M90. It utilizes a Cree XR-E R2 for 320 lumens. Their XM-L drop in is explicitly stated to not fit the M90. All of their D36 incandescent drop ins will fit the M90 as well.