Maglite LED 3rd Gen is out - Improvements

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So, I was browsing lights in the local supply place, and, I noticed Mag has come out with a "3rd Gen" LED version.

It takes 3 D cells, and, has a high of 625 Lumens, plus a new low (130 L) and eco mode (58 L), with strobe and momentary options.

They dropped the throw to 41,200 cd (Its a large LED), and, its still "focusable".

Its actually programmable, in that it has a General, Outdoor, police and tactical mode group (4 mode groups)....

....and you do tail cap twists and on/off clicks to choose what mode you want (general or civilian is the default it comes with in the package).

The civilian/general mode includes hi, low, and eco, with quick clicks to pick which.

Outdoors uses hi, low strobe.

Police/LE uses momentary, hi and eco

Tactical/military uses momentary, hi, and strobe

The new low setting is 130 lumens, which is ~ what the MAX output on the prior LED maglite was, which is amusing...and, a giant leap in performance. (Still pretty small out put for its size, but, for a mag, its a big leap at least)

I've done nothing with it but throw some NIMH D's into it and click a few times, but, do plan on checking it out in the dark, etc, later in the week.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Frankly I have no use for a light of that size, given the relatively low output, but I am glad to see they are making some kind of improvement.

I use my lights on the job, but I have no need to run it for hours and hours at one time...I get multiple days out of a single 18650 already. And for the size and weight, I could carry a LOT of spare 18650s, so even for runtime junkies, I think there are better options. Still, for those who do want insane continuous runtime, or those who don't want to use lithium-ion, it might have some appeal.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too just wanted to come into this thread to let everyone know I'm not interested in the product this thread is about.

(Redacted, apologies!)

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too just wanted to come into this thread to let everyone know I'm not interested in the product this thread is about.

I am interested in Maglites, but that doesn't mean I'll buy one right now. I grew up using them, and I'd like to see them get to a competitive level again (or for the first time, I only got heavily into lights a little over a couple years ago, so it is entirely possible there were better alternatives then, too).

This is a forum, and expressing opinions is part of the deal. If you disagree with a point I make, I'm happy to entertain a debate.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I picked up the 2 and 3 cell maglite ml 300 LX models. Both are more then adequate brightness for my needs. I really like the feel of the new pineapple grip. The mat black finish looks cool too.

bdogps

Enlightened
They have been out for a while now, but they do not seem to be mainstream. The 3d cell costs about 70AUD. They have an appeal in the US, but here in Australia D cells can cost a lot of money. It would have been nice if it had forward and tactical switch.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I like to keep a couple of lights around of varying battery types. I, like most, grew up knowing Maglites, and believing they were the best you could buy. However, as the technology progressed it seems like they didn't move with it. Still, I'd bet they sell more lights than any of the companies we follow in these forums. That said, I'm sure they feel the competition and need to make some advancements. I'm happy to see they are doing something. This will be a good sweet-spot in performance for the average person, and possibly more than many need.

I will probably buy one in keeping with the variety I like to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am interested in Maglites, but that doesn't mean I'll buy one right now. I grew up using them, and I'd like to see them get to a competitive level again (or for the first time, I only got heavily into lights a little over a couple years ago, so it is entirely possible there were better alternatives then, too).

This is a forum, and expressing opinions is part of the deal. If you disagree with a point I make, I'm happy to entertain a debate.

No problem. Triggering intensified at "I have no use for a light this size" in a thread about a light this size, but I too have no use for a lot of lights' features & runtimes/outputs even if I don't announce it in all those lights' threads, so I do understand where you're coming from.

Berneck1

Enlightened
No problem. Triggering intensified at "I have no use for a light this size" in a thread about a light this size, but I too have no use for a lot of lights' features & runtimes/outputs even if I don't announce it in all those lights' threads, so I do understand where you're coming from.

I admit, I was a little put off by that statement also. The problem is, sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted as to the poster's intent. It could be just an innocent comment to spur a good conversation. Unfortunately, we all know too well that there are a lot of trolls out there whose only objective is to belittle people and to provoke anger. It just makes everybody more sensitive to anything written.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've been waiting for about a year now for them to show up in my local store. there was so much hype about it and the launching of a new ad campaign model. when are they planning on stocking the shelves? maybe it's where i live. the only mags there are incandescent grey ones and some black or blue last gen led's.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do note that the quote was incomplete, also. I said "I have no use for a light of this size, given the relatively low output" (emphasis added). I have lights of similar and even larger size that I do use (TM36vn, K40vn in some dimensions), but I expect them to dramatically outperform smaller lights.

I realize I may not be Maglite's target market, but I would like to see them offer some really modern lights that do offer more (brightness and features). If they did, I think a lot of us would be more than happy to give Mags another chance.

maglite mike

Enlightened
You can change the configurations. There is a tactical configuration including momentary on, high and strobe
They have been out for a while now, but they do not seem to be mainstream. The 3d cell costs about 70AUD. They have an appeal in the US, but here in Australia D cells can cost a lot of money. It would have been nice if it had forward and tactical switch.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do note that the quote was incomplete, also. I said "I have no use for a light of this size, given the relatively low output" (emphasis added). I have lights of similar and even larger size that I do use (TM36vn, K40vn in some dimensions), but I expect them to dramatically outperform smaller lights.

I realize I may not be Maglite's target market, but I would like to see them offer some really modern lights that do offer more (brightness and features). If they did, I think a lot of us would be more than happy to give Mags another chance.
You are kind of missing the point though. A 2D Mag only has the same voltage as a 2AA light does, but more capacity.

There is no way an alkaline D cell is ever going to compete with 6x 18650 or 3 x 26650 Li-ion. Moaning about the size in this fashion is at best fool hardy. And shows a complete ignorance to the technologies being used.

Your analogy is similar to someone moaning a 2.0 diesel estate car (station wagon....) is too big for it's relative power as you can buy 2 seat petrol cars with double the HP.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are kind of missing the point though. A 2D Mag only has the same voltage as a 2AA light does, but more capacity.

There is no way an alkaline D cell is ever going to compete with 6x 18650 or 3 x 26650 Li-ion. Moaning about the size in this fashion is at best fool hardy. And shows a complete ignorance to the technologies being used.

Alkalines are not the only possible route. NiMH D cells can deliver plenty of current, and stacking three (which is the size that TEEJ originally was talking about) gives you roughly equivalent voltage to a single-18650 light. That is enough to keep it bright and well regulated for a LONG time, especially with NiMH D's relatively flat discharge curve and large capacity. (It could still run on alkalines, too, at reduced brightness).

I'm certainly not totally ignorant of the technology (thanks for the condescension!), as I said, I grew up using Maglites...but I want to see the company enter the modern era.