Supernova Halo 180 -- (Fenix CL20 alternative)

jtice

Flashaholic
Just got one of these the other day and just had to post about it, one of the better lights I have got in a while for the price.
Supernova Halo 180
Really cant find much info on it, I think its a fairly new light though. There is also the Halo 130, which runs on 2AAs.

The Halo 180 has a 1800mAh li-ion cell built into it, it is not replaceable. It charges via micro-USB.
180 Lumens on high (hence the name Halo 180) (the Halo 130 is 130 lumens)
5 Modes: High, Medium, Low, Slow Flash, Fast Flash
Magnetic Base
Fold out spring hook

The first press of the switch (which is fairly recessed, should be fine in a pack) turns on a dim indicator led, green= charged, red= needs charged.
I am still doing some testing, but last night I ran the light on high for over 3 hours and the indicator still showed green.
I think I read somewhere that you can expect about 4 hours on high.

The tint is great, its a slightly warm/neutral tint. Very pleasing to the eyes and it has a perfect flood with no artifacts.
The light barely gets warm even after hours of continuous use on high.
Magnetic Base is pretty strong, I had no issues getting it to stick to lots of metal surfaces. Though it will slide just a bit at times since the surface of the light is just smooth plastic.
I had it stuck to one of the metal rails on my homes drop ceiling. Worked great, lit up the room with a very even flood of light.
Hook seems a bit on the flimsy side, but still very functional as well.

Overall I really like this light. I think its a great value for the money. It can be closely compared to the new Fenix CL20, which cost about $40, the Halo 180 is $25.

I will get some photos of the light in the next few days.

D6859

Enlightened
I'm subscribing this thread to hear more about this light. It looks like it would be a great light in my tent (there's a little hook in the roof for that) for the price. I wonder if the runtime is in any way comparable, or should I just keep using a floody headlamp attached to the roof?

jtice

Flashaholic
I ran it for alittle over 3 hours on high last night, running it more now to see the aprox runtime and how it drops out of regulation.
It is PLENTY bright enough for in a tent, actually if you were night adapted, low mode would even be plenty.
It would hang perfectly in a tent with its hook.
This is one if the main reasons I got it, for camping. I use a headlamp also, but I like some soft flood of light just to sit somewhere, and in the tent.

Here are a few quick photos of the light.
20150402_225338-M.jpg

20150402_225437-M.jpg

20150402_225502-M.jpg

20150402_225519-M.jpg

20150402_225539-M.jpg

20150402_225600-M.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic
Ran the light about another hour tonight on high.
I would say it was at least a total of 4 hours on high, probably a bit more.
Then the light drops out of regulation and you still get 30+ minutes of light before it goes completely out.

Sorry the runtime wasnt measured of scientific, but I am very happy with the lights performance.
I think the light could easily last a 2 or 3 night camping trip if you run it on medium for a few hours a night.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I worry about lights that don't get warm at all. Makes me wonder if the LED has a proper heat sinking. Also dislike built in power supplies so the AA model would be of more interest to me. That said I really like neutral tinted LEDs. :)

jtice

Flashaholic
You have a point about the heat, it has to go somewhere, and if its not reaching the outside of the light, its trapped inside.
But the light being all plastic on the outside this is pretty common for the outside not to heat up much.
The LEDs arent being driven very hard I dont think though. If you take the 1800mAh battery and divide it by 4 hours thats only 450mA. (not accounting for efficiency)
So the LEDs (there are 5 of them) should be ok.

The tint is very nice, Id say alittle on the warm side of neutral, but very nice.

The 2AA version would certainly be nice also, you just loose 50 lumens. Not sure what the runtime on it would be either, really not any info out there on these lights.