Titan AAA tear down

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I just received this guy in the mail and my first reaction is "this needs an emitter swap". The head opened with no heat, just a pair of tweezers. I'm not sure how the LED board is held down but it looks like a wire to board solution. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove it with out damaging it.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... The head opened with no heat...

Thanks for sharing.... just out of curiosity when you do need heat (to loosen the Loctite/glue?) what do find to be the best method? I need to break open the head on another light.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually put them in a plastic bag and drop it in boiling water. This way it will never be more than 100 celsius. The leds are usually rated for max ~ 120 - 150 C. Safest way i know of to apply heat for long enough time for the gule to get loose, but still not overheat something :)

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing.... just out of curiosity when you do need heat (to loosen the Loctite/glue?) what do find to be the best method? I need to break open the head on another light.

I haven't tried the hot water and bag method but I think that's a safe way of warming the device. I had to use heat to open the e-series heads and I usually used a torch (flame) with okay results. I just tried with no heat and the Titan head opened right up. Still trying to figure how to get the LED board off with out damaging the unit. As soon as I do this will get an XP-L swap.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks jorn and foxtrot, appreciate the advice. Looking forward to hearing how the XPL performs in this light - sounds like it'll be a real flooder.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats actually quite polished / high quality looking than I remember.

Good work.