Low voltage dropin for 1xCR123A, 1x16350 or 1x18650

mattw

Newly Enlightened
I am having troubles finding a dropin that will allow me to use a single CR123A in a pinch and still use either a 16350 or 18650 for normal use. I would assume that I would want a range of about 2.2v to 3.7v.

My wife spotted my new Solarforce L2M in it's shorty configuration and really liked it. Now she wants one and I am looking for this combo because I can see her letting the lithium's die and needing to get by on a 123 until they are charged.

Maybe I am asking for to much here, let me know if I am.

Thanks Matt

scout24

Flashaholic
Anything Malkoff M61 should fit the bill... and be bombproof. Alternately, see Nailbender's sales thread :)

Ladd

Enlightened
Those are high-end alternatives. More than the original cost of the L2M (a nice light!)

Many SolarForce drop-ins are rated 2.7-9V and 0.8-4.2V. Just check the specs carefully on the sales listing.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Many SolarForce drop-ins are rated 2.7-9V and 0.8-4.2V. Just check the specs carefully on the sales listing.
I've used both the 1-mode and 3-mode low voltage (0.8-4.2V) Solarforce drop ins in my L2M shorty and have been pleased with them. Either should work well for your needs.

I also have 2 low voltage drop ins from Customlites (Nailbender) and really like them. Unfortunately, they are only rated 0.8-3V (1xCR123, 1xAA, 2xAA).

mattw

Newly Enlightened
I do wish I could have gotten one of the Solarforce AA bodies, they are not anywhere to be found now. I am going to get one of Nailbenders Nichia 219B units, I like more natural colors at night when I am outside.

I have a Solarforce dropin that is rated for 2.7v to 9v and a single CR123A will light it in all 3 modes. I am a little surprised. The quality of the dropin seems to be pretty good.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CUXM/CUXP drop in from Mountain Electronics I have been recommending is designed for a single rechargeable cell. As such, I can see no reason why it would not work with a single primary cell as well. If in doubt, contact them and ask, but since 3.0v is within the operating envelope of a LiIon cell, it should work just fine. I would recommend that you get the 500 lumen Nichia 219B option, as I don't really know how long a single primary can drive an XM-L. And at $20 shipped and your choice of mode structure, it is a bargain.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I do wish I could have gotten one of the Solarforce AA bodies, they are not anywhere to be found now.
Me too. Although, you can still run 2xAA. You just have to add another extender to the L2 battery tube. I have 2 Solarforces set up for 2AA. I have an Overready battery sleeve in one and a sleeve made of thick paper in the other to eliminate battery rattle. I'm running a Nailbender low voltage XP-G2 (4000K) in one...sweet light.

mattw

Newly Enlightened
Any idea how I would need to convert the l2m? Which tube?

twin63

Newly Enlightened
Any idea how I would need to convert the l2m? Which tube?
Your L2M should have come with an extender so you can run the light full size (18650 or 2xCR123). Just add one more extender and the light will be the proper length for 2AA cells. The Solarforce model number for the extender is L2-ECR. Some vendors will refer to it as a 16340/CR123 extender. They cost around $5.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the SolarForce AA's are nice (I have 2), the FiveMega 1AA, 2AA, and 3AA's are much better built (I have a few of each). If you ever have a chance to pick one up, I suggest it.