Surefire EB2 Backup tear down, sphere test, and XP-L HI swap

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I just picked up this EB2 and found the tint to just be ugly, so I decided to open it up for an emitter swap. Measured about 500lm at 6000K at 70CRI way above the blackbody so it looks green. Unfortunately the stock LED is not the common 3.45mm sq package shared by all including the XP series, looks like an Osram LED to me but I'm not 100%. Will probably just swap out the mcPCB to accommodate an XP-L high output... in the mean time enjoy the guts!

j3CKFVYl.jpg

EF9yZz9l.jpg

HSydBRpl.jpg

0zjNfyEl.jpg

hUWNl3hl.jpg

r36tdpBl.jpg

Ua9YA6Gl.jpg

L3U1O82.jpg

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Re: Surefire EB2 Backup tear down, sphere test, and LED swap

Nice work! Haven't seen a teardown of a Surefire in a while. Good to see someone's doing it with the new lights. I'm not a tint snob, but I have to agree, the EB2 has a green tint that's off-putting. I've read reviews that state that the emitter is indeed an OSRAM LED. That board that the emitter is seated on looks very modular - how hard was it to remove it from the controller board?

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Thanks, I was a little nerve racking to open up because it took a lot of heat to open. The color was just so awful, see the CIE plot below.

Dt25zEPl.png

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing. Tagged for future updates to this swap.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Finished the XP-L HI swap. Caution, it's not a pretty mod so I apologize ahead of time for the ugly mcPCB. I wanted to match the height of the stock board to keep the focus as close to normal as possible so I used a star board that I cut down to size. The performance is much better, CCT is about 4800K and pretty much on the line. Measured about 520 lumens out the front. Will post better beam shots later, beam shots seen below are the SF on the left and HDS EDC with an XP-L high CRI mod running about 325 lumens OTF.

0MH2pxvm.jpg

tIjUrKbl.jpg

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice!
the beam looks good. is that a de-domed XP-L? how would you say the beam is not compared to the osram?
seems like the new optic surefire is using really isnt picky at all about which LED is used with it.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

nice!
the beam looks good. is that a de-domed XP-L? how would you say the beam is not compared to the osram?
seems like the new optic surefire is using really isnt picky at all about which LED is used with it.

It is the new XP-L domeless LED. The beam isn't quite as tight as the stock beam but the color is sooooo much better. I think I could get more throw from a smaller die but I wouldn't want to give up the lumens.

N/Apower

Enlightened

My Surefire M300C weapon light is slightly yellow/green. I much prefer it. Colors POP! with it. It is the best tint I have ever used for target discrimination. No gray-out at all, even at the far reaches of the beam.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

SF on the left and HDS EDC with an XP-L high CRI mod running about 325 lumens OTF.

tIjUrKbl.jpg

great informative posts. thanks for giving the details of which LED you are showing, what their outputs are, AND beam photos. Im very interested in the XPL 90 CRI, and am having a light modded to receive it. I love the warm high CRI tint in your photo.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

great informative posts. thanks for giving the details of which LED you are showing, what their outputs are, AND beam photos. Im very interested in the XPL 90 CRI, and am having a light modded to receive it. I love the warm high CRI tint in your photo.

Thank you! I am usually a fan of the higher CRI lights but I figured I'd trade it for more lumens on the EB2.

Dingle1911

Enlightened

Thank you for sharing your project. Impressive work.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up this EB2 and found the tint to just be ugly, so I decided to open it up for an emitter swap. Measured about 500lm at 6000K at 70CRI way above the blackbody so it looks green.

Yep, great light, too bad about the emitter... :green:

I did a teardown on an early EB1, I was amazed at the high parts count on the circuit boards for a two mode light:

I've looked inside the head of my EB1 and the electronics are indeed more complex than other small lights from the aspect of parts count and circuit board area. There is a Microchip Technology F24K22 microcontroller with 16K of flash memory as I noted on another thread here. We've literally landed on the moon with less computing power.

The SF 2012 catalog released about a year ago shows the 'programmable' icon by the EB1 but the product box doesn't. If the EB1 is indeed programmable through light shining on the emitter as some of the SF ad copy implies on page 29 of the 2012 catalog, does this mean that the light has some click sequence to put it in program mode? Or, does the light from the dongle generate enough voltage on the emitter to power the programming sequence with the EB1 switch turned off?

Or, did this dongle gadget just not work out and will it quietly disappear from the 2013 catalog?

The EB1 circuit boards have 'test points' that look like they could be used for a firmware update, but this would require disassembly of the light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-Flashlight&p=4089138&viewfull=1#post4089138

I'll have to find my EB1 and see if it has similar circuit boards to the EB2 in your great (and in focus, unlike so many posted on CPF) pictures. My EB1 has an even worse green tint than a recently purchased EB2. I tried to give the EB1 to a neighbor last year during a power outage, unfortunately he gave it back. :cool:

I can live with the green EB2 tint I suppose. With some help from the folks here at CPF I've modded a couple of SF U2's and an E1B with newer emitters. But, I think I'll keep the EB2 as it is for now.

The EB2 is a great little pocket rocket for a walk in the country after midnight. Runs fine on a 17670 and puts out a tight spot for seeing wildlife in a field couple of hundred yards away. A little slick in the hand like the other non-knurled SureFire's but a nice size for pocket concealed carry.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to find my EB1 and see if it has similar circuit boards to the EB2 in your great (and in focus, unlike so many posted on CPF) pictures.

Just took another look inside the head of my three digit serial number EB1. The circular circuit boards have the same connectors and orientation but the boards are different.

Anybody here taken a look inside the head of a late model EB1?

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, even the Fury has quite a complicated circuit board.

This thread here surprised me, never seen it before.
I may try the XPL-HI or HD on my LX2.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the pin setup for the power transfer to the LED. Seems very sturdy.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure is stout looking. Love the pins in lieu of wires and soldered joints as well. If only they could also catch up in the output/runtime department. Not looking for insane lumens, just competitive constant run times in the 400 to 800 lumen range.