Help, I want to build an HID...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys I am convincing myself to start experimenting with HID lights and want to check if I can mod the Thor to use a HID bulb, (there is lots of room for mods in this light!)

Where can I find affordable Ballasts and bulbs for my experiment? Is there some literature or threads I could read to help me with modding the light?

Or do you think it would be cheaper to just buy a 990 or KK?

I would appreciate your help.

Thnx!
Alex

phyhsuts

Enlightened
You may have some problem with a direct HID lamp swap. The LCL (light centre length) of the H3 and D2s lamps are different. Some mods will have to be carried out to the lamp mounting to place the arc where the filament was in the reflector. Other than that I cannot see any problems. The HID bulb actually consume LESS power than the 100 or so Watt that the H3 consumes. So run times improves and there is less heat generated. You do have to find ways to mount the ballast and ignitor though. the major hurdle is cost.
Conversion kits are available from many automotive part retailers. KenRad has a dual power ballast for sale too. Good luck!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be much cheaper to get the 990 or KK, especially when you put a price on you time. But, if you just order the light, then the "journey" or search is over and it's not as much fun.

cheese

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, as for finding the parts, ever think about having a look around junk yards, surely there'll be the occasional car in there that's been damaged in a crash where the headlamps are intact, that'd have to be cheaper than getting the parts new I'd guess.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zelandeth,
Off to the junkyards for me! I assume most yards realize the value of the lights and will have taken them out and marked them up "appropriately", but still should be cheaper than new.

AlexGT,
Does the Thor take an H4 bulb? There seems to be a little confusion on this point on "the Thor" thread.

cheese

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
AGT,

I thought this site had a pretty good review, HIDs, still a lot for me to learn, before I go here. Interesting that at the end they put down Bohmen. Still, I can't tell if that alone makes it worth messing around with making an HID. Who needs more than 600 hours?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

cheese

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
D1S has the ignitor in the bulb socket while D2S has an external ignitor. D(1/2)R are shielded for retrofitting cars but I think the shield can be removed to make a D(1/2)S.
On the kenrad site is a Auerswald made 35/50w D2 ballast, ignitor and socket which cost $150 from them. They have a round version of these too (drool) but only for OEM sale.

Nucon in germany makes some different ballasts as well, 35 and 50 watts. The Nucon with D1S is the most compact 50watt system I know of (except the round Auerswald in some apps).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know chesse, my Thor is the 3.5 mcp not the 10 mcp It does take the H3, But I think the H4 would sit higher than the optimum focal point IMO but will check.

Alex

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 10M Thor is an H4 and the 3.5M is H3. Doesn't seem to make sense that a spotlight would have high/low beams, but that's what the thread on Thor said. Hopefully my light will arrive soon and I'll find out.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheesehead

Please take lots of pics of that Thor including beamshots, I am itching to get me one too.

Alex