Has anyone retrofitted a baby stroller?

TomaCzar

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

My first was born a few months ago and I bought the baby stroller my wife recommended. I went on a night walk with my wife and daughter for the first time a week ago and I was appalled how barely visible they both were.

So now, I'm in the research phase of making some changes to the stroller. Mostly it will be reflective tape, however something on the order of headlights seems appropriate. Everything I've seen on youtube has been gaudy and over-the top, I'm looking more for functional and safe than viewable from space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Use reflective tape for visibility. For being able to see, I would recommend either looking at bike lights for mounting to the stroller, and/or a headlamp for you and your wife.

Another option could be a flashlight with a weapon mount, if you cannot find what you want in the bike light world.

Eagle

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have me thinking. How about mounting a Fenix bike mount, with a Solarforce light on the bar with a weapon pressure switch. So when you squeeze the grip it lights up.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have me thinking. How about mounting a Fenix bike mount, with a Solarforce light on the bar with a weapon pressure switch. So when you squeeze the grip it lights up.

You might have to use a few cable ties to make sure that the weapon pressure switch doesn't get caught on anything and make sure the stroller can open and close, my kid is in a Peg Perego Pliko and there aren't that many places to mount it where it will be able to shine the light where its needed. I found that a light on the stroller and a strobe in hand for use at crossings is best for my needs.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to wait for the wife to leave before I start snooping around. As soon as she sees flashlights & zip ties and mounts, then the stroller I will be toast, I am gonna get the 3rd degree. lol

She knows hows that will play out. :duck:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
For nightly dog walking, I use a flashlight with a momentary Max from ON function. I leave the light in a lower mode comfortable for walking, and when a car approaches from a distance, I fire a couple one-millisecond max output flashes toward them to warn them that pedestrians are ahead - works exactly like car high beam flashers.

Also a fan of the Twofish Lockblocks, but if stroller mounted, I'd also get a red blinky bicycle tail light mounted - I like CatEye's versions.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red light will have to be clipped onto the rear of the person pushing the stroller right?

I was thinking clipping to the left side of the stroller, perhaps at knee level where the OP will be thinner so as to not block its view. But I think your idea may be better - something clipped to the stroller might be annoyingly in your peripheral view.

I'd personally just handhold a flashlight cigar style between pinkie and ring finger, leaving the 3 primary fingers to steer the stroller, or just use a headband - then momentary point light toward approaching traffic for conspicuity.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking clipping to the left side of the stroller, perhaps at knee level where the OP will be thinner so as to not block its view. But I think your idea may be better - something clipped to the stroller might be annoyingly in your peripheral view.

I'd personally just handhold a flashlight cigar style between pinkie and ring finger, leaving the 3 primary fingers to steer the stroller, or just use a headband - then momentary point light toward approaching traffic for conspicuity.

That may work for you but with the Peg Perego the design of the stroller means I need 2 hands free to use it so I would rather have the light clipped on and Singapore is reasonably bright such that if I wore a head light I would be getting weird looks unless I was bringing a stroller to the forested areas where it was dark :) then again why would I be bringing a 2 year old there hahaah

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That may work for you but with the Peg Perego the design of the stroller means I need 2 hands free to use it so I would rather have the light clipped on and Singapore is reasonably bright such that if I wore a head light I would be getting weird looks unless I was bringing a stroller to the forested areas where it was dark :) then again why would I be bringing a 2 year old there hahaah

Yeah, that is my grip when I need 2 hands, and I do live in a dark forest area with no sidewalks, and lots of animals, so I do want my light unmounted to check that rustle in the woods. The smell of a baby is sure bring the coyotes out :).

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I'm not the only one who has considered up fitting their kids stiller with lights lol. The stroller we have has a plastic tray in the front of it that I could mount a small picatinny rail to the bottom of, out my son's reach, and use a rail mount to hold the light. I thought about a bicycle mount on the handle but the canopy would block most the light. Maybe I should just get it out of the truck and study it lol.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I'm not the only one who has considered up fitting their kids stiller with lights lol. The stroller we have has a plastic tray in the front of it that I could mount a small picatinny rail to the bottom of, out my son's reach, and use a rail mount to hold the light. I thought about a bicycle mount on the handle but the canopy would block most the light. Maybe I should just get it out of the truck and study it lol.

it's just begging to be outfitted with glo tape for visiblity purposes, lights, don't forget a horn to alert people in front, maybe add a flywheel dynamo thing to keep it charged up :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking of mounting a battery pack some where and getting a couple of cheap led day time running lights from Walmart and minting in the front and a couple of red led tail lights for the back, maybe some amber on the sides, oh and turn signals and brake lights, don't want to get a ticket for improper illumination lol

xzel87

Enlightened
For mine I'll just hang my light equipped with traffic cone/wand diffuser with the lanyard off the stroller and use strobe or other blinky modes, if it hangs low enough it won't bother your vision,it seems to work very well. For front illumination I'll just use lights with clips and clip it one of the fairly stiff silicone step/strip thinghy (the place for the kid to rest his legs).

For the parents, reflective clothing would be ideal but not everyone walks around with a reflective vest. So I would suggest another flashlight with diffuser wand hung off the belt or waist on a blinky mode.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
No mention of "laser tail lights?" A pimping baby stroller needs these. :)

Also: ground effects lighting. :)

d88

Newly Enlightened
look guys if your going to pimp a ride, no half measures. Stick a foursevens maelstrom XM18 up front on this and you're good to go.