Will there ever be a 100 watt spotlight shootout?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was re-reading kenshiro's website about the superlight shootout and was thinking it would be great if he or someone else could do a shootout among the best H3's

I would like to see these lights among others fight it out for the 100 watt crown.

Vector Sport
Vector 2 mcp
Thor 3.5 mcp
Thor 10 mcp
Husky
Blitz
Nelco
Brinkmann
Colemann 3 mcp

What do you think?

Alex

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Re: Will there ever be a 100 watt spotlight shooto

I don't see Koehler-Bright Star mentioned much, even under the old LSI name? And they do at least talk about their methodology even if they don't give the full specs. Sorry, I know their bulb (HH455) is not extactly a H3 (extra wire).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I forgot about the LSI, thats another bright light that should go in the shootout, Lots of lights! I guess not a single CPF'er has all of them.

larryk

Enlightened

Don't forget the Collins Dynamics CD-12 Magnum. It uses a 100 watt H1 bulb. Larry.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

larryk,

I see you have the CD-12 that is very nice light. I started to get one but got side tracked by the Blitz and another project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif how does it throw compared to the X990.

Later
Sway

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

AlexGT,

The Blitz uses a Bi-Pin bulb and the NELCO a H1 not that it makes a whole lot of difference, both filaments are axial. The lights you have mentioned except for the Blitz and the CD-12 that larryk pointed out are available for $50.00 or less and the NELCO looks to be a close out light not readily available to many of us plus these three require a separate power source.

In the under $50.00 range there are just to many lights to try out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Later
Sway

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Sway, I know that the lamps are different on some of the lights, What I am thinking of is a shootout among the percieved best of the bunch.

BTW I have been looking for the Nelco in several BLots stores in the Houston area with no luck, what I am thinking of doing is extracting the reflector and put a good Par 56 with a 1000(or more!)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Watt Very Narrow Spot(5 Degree) theatre light and hook it to a regular wall socket, that should be the real bird cooker and my look in the backyard light. All for less than 60 bucks!!! But I guess this would be another thread.

Alex

larryk

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sway said:
larryk,

I see you have the CD-12 that is very nice light. I started to get one but got side tracked by the Blitz and another project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif how does it throw compared to the X990.

Later
Sway

[/ QUOTE ]The Collins throws farther, it has a much tighter beam. Larry.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Collins throws farther, it has a much tighter beam. Larry.

Larry that is very interesting and only tempting me more to get the CD-12, I know the x990 must be more convent 1 piece unit, longer run time and smaller package but for my use right now a 2 piece incandescent is more economical.

Man this place is gona make me go busted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Later
Sway

larryk

Enlightened

It would be intereseing how the 240 Blitz and CD-12 Magnum compare.
Larry.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

9' vs 12' reflector, one has a 1 hour run time on a 100 watt bulb, the other one has it's own seperate battery pack. This should comparism should be interesting indeed.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry
Yes it would they are very similar and yet very different, from what little I know they are the big honkers in the handheld incan spotlight world. To bad we can't get the kids together to play so to say.

Nerd
If I'm not wrong the CD-12 has an 8 ½ "reflector somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. The question of throw only Incan vs. 35W HID has been a suspicion of mine for some time now and Larry has shed some light on the subject, speaking of off the shelf unmodified lights only.

Later
Sway

larryk

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sway said:
Larry
Yes it would they are very similar and yet very different, from what little I know they are the big honkers in the handheld incan spotlight world. To bad we can't get the
kids together to play so to say.

Nerd
If I'm not wrong the CD-12 has an 8 ½ "reflector somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. The question of throw only Incan vs. 35W HID has been a suspicion of mine for some time now and Larry has shed some light on the subject, speaking of off the shelf unmodified lights only.

Later
Sway

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for calcification the, CD-12 has a 7 inch reflector versus 8.5 for the CD-12 Magnum. My CD-12 Magnum is no longer is stock form, it has a 35 watt H1 HID set up now. Other than the Maxabeam it is the best light thrower.
Larry.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry,

You slipped one buy me on the CD-12 HID mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I have thought of doing that to the Blitz as they run a 35W HID in their Off Road light but it is a fixed focus unit. It should be simple to pull off on the hand held spot light I must contact them to see if they would advise going to 50W ballast.

Later
Sway

Latest posts