New Sub Thread For UV Lights Exclusively!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Dear Moderators, and arbitrator's,

Please...Consider:

Can we move this discussion out of the McGizmo Forum to one more like alternative lighting, or something. Maybe start an exclusive UV sub forum for people to go their directly, seeking information on UV lights and the installation of Tritium Vials.

It has gone past simple UV questions on Mr. McLeish's UVs, as well as, his sales forum. Mr McLeish, is far from the only one who makes UV Lights, and I think we could get a better discussion as some may be afraid to say something important feeling they may offend Don, after all, he is the real master of this craft.

As as far as UV Discussion, it has well exceeded it being debated in Mr. McLeish's sales sub forum.

This is something that needs to be discussed but, let's get it out of someone's sales area. The lack of straight answers is frustrating, mostly from The Norland Company, the subject belongs elsewhere, and something that bothers me to no end is no straight answers, no matter the subject, and I don't want all the pressure to, be on Mr. McLeish, the world's most prolific builder and designer of flashlights the world has ever seen!

There are many, many more people here who know this subject of UV safety on a level
far beyond what the average person knows, and so far "More_ Vampires" is the only one who is a scientist, that has had the courage to speak up. Thanks MV! That means a lot to me as I am just trying to save people from eyesight trouble down the road, years from now.

So, I ask it be moved out of this forum to another for further important discussion, and if this is all the information we get from this community, well that is Really sad indeed, as we know there are people on this forum who could offer advice, but don't, and maybe should not be doing on a sales form such as Don's where so many have had their ability of buying one of his amazing lights. I am soon going to be a customer of a UV for some special projects.

And, Because we all know some people are doing damage to their eyesight for the WOW! factor of some silly Trit vials. I feel it important the forum community have an area where people can read up on what they are doing before they know what these lights are.

Yes, Trit. Vials, they are great fun, cool and all, that I also, have them on some of my lights, however, they have been installed with industrial silicone glue.

I will try contacting Norland asking again for some information: meaning a response to my very simple questions, on eye protection, otherwise it may be time to abandon them for this purpose, as they have no interest in the consumer market. Really, that is a big thing if they don't, and just want to stick to the DOD, and corporate mega money. Certainly something to think about no matter how cool it is to have Norland.

And, of course I know the feedback coming my way, and please understand I am far, far from The PC crowd but this is truly dangerous to, our flashlight colleagues here on CPF.

Lasers have their own sub-forum in "Beyond Flashlights," should UV be in that area, I'm not certain, I will leave that to, the Moderators, I do think the time has come for UV to have a section of it's own for safety, this subject can be in the sales forums as an addition to, the product line, and it's capabilities but, just general and safety discussion of eye damaging light, in a forum as well respected as CPF on the discussion of the physics behind the technology behind it, would be a great addition to CPF's educational aspects.

I do feel the the time has come to move this out of the McGizmo forum, and into a forum dedicated to UV issues and the proper knowledge and handling for dealing with these unique and hazardous lights as they can be bought in any hardware store these days.

Thank You, Moderators, I feel this is an important safety issue for all users experienced, or not to have it a place where people can seek information.

A good place for this may be in Spotlights and HID Lights. Maybe? Or just a UV forum on it's own?

However, an exclusive about a section of UV flashlights would be an excellent idea, and very responsible on the part of the CPF Forum. With the the regard to care, use and handling of UV flashlights would really be perfect.

Again in thank you.

Also, sorry Don if this got too big for your forum, you know me as a customer and would nor want to do anything to cause you any trouble. Which is why is should be talked a our elsewhere.

With all best wishes,

RL

NOTE--I had started this in The McGizmo Thread, recently asking about UV lights, and I felt it out grew itself, quickly, and then thought we need a UV thread for all types of UV discussion - especially the Safe use of these Dangerous lights, and where we can also, talk about eye wear for UV - very important. Not to mention Trit. vials, Norland, other adhesive methods and all things UV.

I did not want to turn, Don Mc Leish's, "The flashlight maker of maker's," of all people's Sub Forums, into some kind of defacto UV light thread.

Due to the serious nature of all UV flashlights, I feel this could be useful not only for people who have been on the CPF Forums for years, also, to someone who just needs a little bit of information about the safe handling of these specialized lights.

And, with more ID Checkers, and other people using UV lights these days, it would certainly add to the forum as we have many members here to contribute.

A dedicated forum would make it easy to find and use, without looking through pages of regular flashlight information.

it would turn into a go to learning thread for all things UV, which can be very complex.

Thank you,

Best wishes,

REDLED

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a good idea. Didn't know there was a uv section in the McGizmo sub forum. Know we had some issues due to lack of knowledge with my wife's uv light she uses for rocks. Sometimes what you don't know can hurt you.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Probably a good idea. Didn't know there was a uv section in the McGizmo sub forum. Know we had some issues due to lack of knowledge with my wife's uv light she uses for rocks. Sometimes what you don't know can hurt you.

Well, there was no UV section in the McGizmo forum, I started to discuss UV light and it's pitfalls and thought we should move it to it's own dedicated forum only because of the dangers, and they could be discussed in that new arena.

I did did not think it belonged in a sales forum.

Hope that clears that up for you?

Thanks for your reply!

With all best wishes,

NR

Last edited:

delus

Newly Enlightened
I concur. A separate UV section is a great idea.
People use UV lights for a lot of very different things. Information is scattered all over the place. Putting it all in one place would be awesome.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only UV light I have had so far was a cheapy I got at HD. It is fairly powerful though it was marketed as a "scorpion hunter" cannot remember the brand. It lights up leaks in the basement like nobodies business never tried checking my folding money with it. It has I believe 9 tiny UV emitters I am sure something like the Nitecore Chameleon UV/XML2 light is much better though. Really never thought about it but having a really powerful UV light may come in pretty handy sometime. I know there are drop ins for SF hosts that are very powerful UV. Thinking about it a Solarforce host and a high output UV drop in wouldnt be that much hmmm.....

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a logical idea to me. just received a bunch of trits and have been " bobbing and weaving" all over CPF and the internet looking for info on Norland and UV lights. would be nice to have a "go too" thread.