A substitute for the Turtle

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just purchased a Dorcy incandescant flashlight from WalMart. Super bright Krypton bulb. The light was around $5 and appears VERY water resistant.

Then...I see a picture of the Turtle LED light and get this idea. Why not swap the Krypton out of this 4 AA cell Dorcy light and put an LED in there???

It looks like a standard bulb. Then, buy 4 Lithiums and this light will last FOREVER!!!!

All for about:
case: $5 (Walmart)
bulb: $13 (LEDcorp)
Lithiums $6 (Walmart)
--------------------------
Total: $24.00

Any thoughts????

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did that and it works just fine. Be sure to tell them you need a 6 volt bulb (led) if you decide to follow thru.

Brock

Flashaholic
I was going to say the same thing, that is to make sure you get the 4 cell version of the LED replacement. It will make a great light. Then you can get a 4 C cell mag and play more with the LED, or you can put it in one of those "tap" lights, they use 4 AA's and you push the top to turn it on and off.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brock,
I can't believe you said that about the tap lights. I have a couple sitting in the garage still in the package. That's a great idea.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have a nephew (3 year old) that carries one of those tap lights around with him wherever he goes. My brother said he kept breaking the lamps and running the batteries dead, so it thought, hmmmm, this is a job for a LED. I just got it for him for x-mas, so far so good. Still on the same set of batteries, my brother said he would change the batteries about twice a week bofore.

Brock

Doug

Enlightened
I was just at Walmart today... all they had where the cheap frosted Dorcy lights... not the BOSS line ... unfortunatly... Did you get the BOSS 4AA, or the Frost 4AA?

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djharryg:
I just purchased a Dorcy incandescant flashlight from WalMart. Super bright Krypton bulb. The light was around $5 and appears VERY water resistant.

Then...I see a picture of the Turtle LED light and get this idea. Why not swap the Krypton out of this 4 AA cell Dorcy light and put an LED in there???

It looks like a standard bulb. Then, buy 4 Lithiums and this light will last FOREVER!!!!

All for about:
case: $5 (Walmart)
bulb: $13 (LEDcorp)
Lithiums $6 (Walmart)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug

Enlightened
What the heck is a tap light?

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I was going to say the same thing, that is to make sure you get the 4 cell version of the LED replacement. It will make a great light. Then you can get a 4 C cell mag and play more with the LED, or you can put it in one of those "tap" lights, they use 4 AA's and you push the top to turn it on and off.

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got the 4 aa boss. The smallest one.
http://www.dorcy.com/theboss.htm

It is really the most duarble and inexpensive incandescant I have ever seen. For around $5.00 you'd think it was pretty junky. But, I wish Craig would test it (maybe I'll send him one). It would definitely stand up in the punishment zone.

HOWEVER....I am NOT a fan of incandescant flashlights (anymore). My goal is to put a 4 cell LED into this baby, and since it has a place to stor the original bulb, I can't go wrong.

My only concern is that I just received a 3 cell LED and put it in a 3 C cell flashlight and it was terribly dim. Also, non existent light.

Maybe I should post a separate subject about that.

Anyway....Yes, it was a Dorcy Boss 4 aa rubber light. Sorry for the long story.

Doug

Enlightened
What?! It has a place for a spare bulb? DOH! I have thought, that this would be purfect... keep a Xenon bulb in the flash light, if you need the battery time, or the bulb gets damaged, swap it with the spare, that would be an LED! So, what kind of switch is on the BOSS? Pushbutton like the Tutrlelite, or slider like the Dorcy Frostbite? Thanks!

Doug

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Doug on 01-13-2001 at 12:40 AM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It's a push button. I swear it's almost identical to the turtle. It's got a real good click feel to it. I went back there and they are all gone. Hopefully they'll get more. I'm sure they're available elsewhere.

Note: I don't have a turtle. SO, ultimately I have NOT compared the two. Just an observation from a flashaholic.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone been down to the tool section of their local Sears? They have quite a selection of flashlights that would fit the conversion bill too. And at a resonable price too I might add.

Just putting my 2 cents in, and we all know what 2 cents is worth.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 2. Both made by Greatland and sold thru Target. One with a smooth reflector and one with a faceted reflector. I returned the smooth one. The faceted (spelled wrong?) puts out a wider more usable beam in my opinion, with no dark bands. The smooth one projected farther of course but was just to narrow for most of the things I do and I already have a led in my Mag light for distance. Oh, I agree, Sears has many potential converts
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-13-2001 at 10:40 AM</font>