full RGB LED light

D

**DONOTDELETE**

A little more research reveals that Edmund Scientific stocks such an item, called the "Color Maker" (under main page->scientifics->unique lighting->unique lighting). It has an RGB LED as well as a white LED, and combines and filters their output. There are four knobs on the device to control the intensity of each component. It's not quite what I had in mind, being a bit bulky and costing (gak!) $90, but there it is.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by bezzzz on 01-11-2001 at 05:03 PM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think it would be cool if some company produced a small 1-led light with an RGB LED and 3 little dials or sliders on it to select which of the LED's 16.7 million colors to use (well okay, it would probably only be a few hundred thousand because it would be too difficult to regulate the voltage so finely with such small controls). It would be a fun toy, and some people might find an important use for it. There could also be a model with a single control to select a wavelength of light to emit, carefully calibrated in nm. This would be a pretty neat lab instrument, and could be extremely useful depending on how accurately the different frequencies can be reproduced.
I have seen larger devices using the RGB LEDs (like the one reviewed on Craig's website), which are very expensive because they use so many LEDs and are computer controlled. It seems like the cost could be very reasonable with only one LED, although there would be manufacturing and circuitry issues. I would expect maybe $40-$50 or so.
I know I would buy one!