Welp there goes my only decent flashlight. (Thrunite T10)

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I was trying to troubleshoot the flickering on my thrunite T10 and I decided to unscrew the pill. Instead of the led coming with the driver all I got was the driver and two torn wires.
At the moment there does not seem to be anything that I can do to fix it so I guess it is now scrap. Too bad, I was rather fond of this light.

DSCN3625.JPG

as far as I can tell it was missing a solder when I got it.

DSCN3628.JPG

:shrug:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
The soldering on this thing seems shoddy at best, there is white gunk everywhere and the components are not very solidly attached.
This flashlight has the best features that I know of but they need to step up QC even if it means costing more for their flashlights.
Edit: it is no wonder that the light kept flickering on high, it seems like several components are very close to connecting with the sloppy solder, I can imagine it shorting out when there is enough current to arc. :shakehead

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
That solder job looks like it was done by students at the School for the Blind.

I have no idea as to what you paid for the light, but there may be a few people her that could possibly assist with the repair.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
At this point the host is all scratched up. I think that I will see if thrunite would be willing to replace it.
The frustrating thing it that everything besides the driver seems to be fairly high quality: The reflector is solid aluminum, The LED is perfectly centered and has a great tint, the switch is solid, the window is scratch resistant and clear, and the host is well made but the electronics are unreliable at best it seems.
I was planning on getting an Archer 2C from them but it is no longer listed on their website as of today, which really concerns me.
Anyone have any Ideas of what I could do about it? I wonder if it is possible to find replaceable drivers that are programmable.
DSCN3630.JPG

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Yeah, This one also has an XPG in it, maybe they ordered them in bulk and now they have too many so they use them in most of their lights still. It begs the question why they wouldn't just be honest and label that they are using the xpg. The amazon page lists two different LEDs: an XP-G2 and an XPL, Based on the soldering job though the people assembling them probably don't know the difference and can't even recognize the symbols.
I wan't to be the optimist here because thrunite has 99% positive ratings and I have yet to find an other light with the exact features I want but it is hard for me to trust them now. It makes me wonder if the thrunite branded 18650's are just relabeled used batteries or worse...
A LED flashlight with the kind of features that I am looking for is inherently complex and thus quality control is a must. A flashlight is the one thing that I depend on the most to be reliable, no phone? almost everyone else has one, knives are dead simple and not as easy to mess up as electronics let alone the fact that I hardly ever use one often. The flashlight is the one item that really does need to work when I need it more than any other that I currently carry. If it wan't for the issues with whoever is in charge of assembling the electronics I would very much recommend it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that one is in rough shape (inside). Outside looks good to me actually. ha.
Its not really worth the shipping to fix it. I would do it for free for you, if its just some soldering and no parts are needed. :eeksign:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
It depends on what thrunite responds with, if they wan't more than 5 bucks to ship it back then I might take you up on that offer.

bartko09

Enlightened
Wow that one is in rough shape (inside). Outside looks good to me actually. ha.
Its not really worth the shipping to fix it. I would do it for free for you, if its just some soldering and no parts are needed. :eeksign:

Hahaha! I was going to offer to fix it free for him also but thought the same thing. Probably wasn't worth the shippjng

bartko09

Enlightened
Yeah, This one also has an XPG in it, maybe they ordered them in bulk and now they have too many so they use them in most of their lights still. It begs the question why they wouldn't just be honest and label that they are using the xpg. The amazon page lists two different LEDs: an XP-G2 and an XPL, Based on the soldering job though the people assembling them probably don't know the difference and can't even recognize the symbols.
I wan't to be the optimist here because thrunite has 99% positive ratings and I have yet to find an other light with the exact features I want but it is hard for me to trust them now. It makes me wonder if the thrunite branded 18650's are just relabeled used batteries or worse...
A LED flashlight with the kind of features that I am looking for is inherently complex and thus quality control is a must. A flashlight is the one thing that I depend on the most to be reliable, no phone? almost everyone else has one, knives are dead simple and not as easy to mess up as electronics let alone the fact that I hardly ever use one often. The flashlight is the one item that really does need to work when I need it more than any other that I currently carry. If it wan't for the issues with whoever is in charge of assembling the electronics I would very much recommend it.

Well they're so highly favorable because most people don't understand anything other than mass produced lights and depending on quality measures they can be big pieces of crap. See Nitcore, Olight and anything else made in China.

I only read ur first sentence or two then realized you touched quality also haha! Anywhooo as said earlier it's probably not worth it but the offers on the table if u want me to fix it. I wouldn't charge u, I find it fun and fun doesn't cost [emoji6]

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Well thrunite replied, They apparently have a thing in north carolina so shipping is a bit faster and cheaper than china round trip.
I think that I will go for it as a last chance for thrunite, I still think that it is some of the best quality for the money as long as the electronics are done right.
If I do get another defective light; I have a very particular set of skills, I will find you and I will...
1412102007_liam-neeson-zoom.jpg

I mean I will not buy any more thrunite lights or recommend them again, too bad as I have some friends who are in need of a decent edc, I have my eyes on a nitecore or nextorch if this whole 2C thing doesn't work out.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thrunite replied, They apparently have a thing in north carolina so shipping is a bit faster and cheaper than china round trip.
I think that I will go for it as a last chance for thrunite, I still think that it is some of the best quality for the money as long as the electronics are done right..

First off, I can't believe that Thrunite will even touch your light after they discover it's in pieces.

I understand you wanted to find out what happened and if something simple, fix it yourself.

By destroying the light taking it apart, you assumed the liability for the damages.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
What went down.

That is a matter of opinion,
First off, I told them that I was going to try to fix it myself and that I had broken the wires when trying to "unscrew" it even before they replied telling me to replace it due to the missing solder.
Second, they told me to try screwing an unscrewing via the pinholes in the driver, which might have worked if thrunite still had the entire pill in one piece but apparently they don't.
They admitted that the light was defective when I got it, they know that it has been broken further, and they know that it was because of them that it was broken further.

Hi,

Thanks for the contact!

Here are the tips about T10, could you please have a try?
1. please clean the conductivity. Some times when it's dirty, it will affect the flashlight's normal work

2. use the tweezers or scissors in the hole, loose or tight it to see how the flashlight work
please check the left two pictures, there are two little holw shows in the picture.

and could you pleas tell us your order ID?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
Thrunite Service Department
Meccy

Forum: www.jajaoutdoor.com
After that I sent them the photo of the missing solder and that I would try fixing it myself at the risk of ruining it.
Later that day I sent them an email that I had broken the wires after cleaning and "tightening" did not work. I also requested to have it replaced and sent my order id.
Eight hours after I sent that email I got this response from thrunite:
Hi,

Thanks for the picture showed, that's true!

Would you please do as follows:
1. Please return the defective T10 to our service department:
Thrunite Service America
333 Erwin Rd. Chapel Hill, North Caroline 27514,
United States

and please write your Order ID and RMA ****** on the box
2. please email us the photo of shipping receipt from Post Office which you have sent the package
and this will be very important providence for us to get you a new replacement.

When we receive this, we will replace you T10 Cool white as soon as possible.

Any questions, please feel free to contact us again!
Thank you very much and have a nice day~

Best Regards
Thrunite Service Department
Meccy

Forum: www.jajaoutdoor.com

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Re: What went down.

Just as another note,
here is a picture of the components:
DSCN3636.JPG

The led sits on top of that perforated barrier and the driver behind it.
I was expecting the entire thing to come out like in this post (halfway down) http://pappp.net/?p=1243
but as far as I can tell the head is either a whole peice or it was anodized stuck in place.

ven

Flashaholic

I would expect Thrunite to send another head out FOC(or even a full light as its not an expensive one) , i had an issue with a similar priced light but a Fenix e25. Fenix sent a new head out to me FOC ,no messing about..........

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered an XPL (cool white) titanium yesterday from ebay (Hong Kong), but after reading this thread, I decided to contact the seller and was told only XPG2 (Neutral White) was available, So i suppose they would have sent me the XPG2 version.

Anyway the seller has agreed to give me a full refund (it just shows the item specification means nothing on ebay) so confirm specification before buying.

EDIT: I just received my refund to my PayPal, though it`s on hold to the 5th November.

John

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
You looked at a thread for an older version of that light. It has changed twice since that thread was posted.
And it has changed again since I bought this one, now they have a reversible snap-on pocket clip and the switch is a rubberized clicky instead of a steel clicky, at least on the aluminum model.

ven

Flashaholic
Well thats a result, looks like you will get a new light after sending the old off. Hope it all works out soon:)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounz like they have good customer service procedures.

Some companies ignore you.

Others realize it costed 22¢ to make said product they sold for $22 so they just send out new stuff hoping the customer will pay $32 for another product someday...that costed 16¢ to make.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
That solder job looks like it was done by students at the School for the Blind.

I have no idea as to what you paid for the light, but there may be a few people her that could possibly assist with the repair.

Yeah, pretty shoddy workmanship ... I like Nitecore features but see more broken down Nitecores than any other light. What you need is a microscope, some solder wick, some liquid rosin core flux and some good lead tin solder, you could probably zoom in and repair it or have someone experience with soldering fix it.

*edit*

Sounds like they back their products well, good luck.

Last edited: