decent 9" HID under $200?

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an HID spotlight hopefully less that $200. I have seen some 100W noname 9" lights on ebay shipping from China but am hoping for something at least semi-name brand and shipping from USA. A group us will use several of such lights for night time flying of RC helicopters. Max distance is probably only about 100 yards but we definitely want spot lights with minimal spill. I would welcome any suggestions.

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
Only 100 yards? Why not go with LED? HID is great but LED has its advantages over HID, espc in such a short distance.

Well I want to go LED. I have a similar thread in the LED section. I have been looking at the TK75 vs the TM16. Here is a video of the heli spotlight flying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDZIZzBph0

Most of it is pretty close in but some of the better pilots will go up high or out a ways but even the 700-size helis are pretty small out part 100 yards.

We also do flood light flying with rented tower construction lights. But for this, we want tight narrow focused beams for the effect even though it can be hard to keep them aimed well.

So like I said, I'd like to go LED but the guys that have been doing this have these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191685330662?item=191685330662&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

and run them off power supplies. We always have Honda generators anyway so AC power is never a problem. So those guys are saying "flashlights" are not good enough and we need "real" spot lights. Being an engineer, I have been trying to compare lights by specifications and finding its not that easy. I already have one of the Stanely 1000 lumen Fatmax lights and its pretty good. I have to think something like a TK75 will do the job but I am also open to getting an HID type. I just don't want to buy noname ebay stuff. On the other hand, we can't be spending $4000 as we need about five lights. So if there is a reasonable budget priced HID, I'd like to consider it.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... There's allot to consider.....

Size/style
Output.
Focus. (Fixed/variable, spot/flood)
Power source (hand held/portable, corded, mounted. A.c./D.C.)
Runtime.

You say your buddies said a "flashlight won't cut it) but I'd be willing to bet there's plenty of them that would.

I really do suggest LED, and there's tons of them out there.
HID has limitations...., high power consumption, bulky, warm-up time-cool down time, and the good throwers tend to have large bodies making them cumbersome.