Smartglass as a diffuser?

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
I used to work in residential low-voltage electronics, and one of the more interesting technologies I came across was Smartglass, which would go from frosted to transparent instantly with the addition of current. Typically these panels would find use in bathrooms and were rather expensive toys for the rich. I wonder, though... could the technology be scaled down to the size of a flashlight lens and find a more practical use as a built-in diffuser option?

markr6

Flashaholic
Me, and a few others already thought of that...not sure what we called the threads though :)That would be AWESOME though. No need to mess with and lose a separate diffuser.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pepole pay good money just to swap the lenses with ar coated ucl lenses. how mutch lightloss is it with this wisard tec glass?
I bet alot.

markr6

Flashaholic
Pepole pay good money just to swap the lenses with ar coated ucl lenses. how mutch lightloss is it with this wisard tec glass?
I bet alot.

Probably. But the point is to have an all inclusive system without a diffuser to loose. It was just an idea. And expensive one. A flip-up diffuser would be more cost-effective.

Borad

Enlightened
If instead of the frosted color it could be made reflective then you could make an adjustable reflector. Either with a block of the material or several reflectors that are normally transparent.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Great for going from close quarters action to search n rescue modes! Navy Seals kinda thing.

What would be cool is to incorparate into the circuit with ability to switch off and on...like those Streamlight you can add laser or not to the beam.
Perhaps twist the head type switch?

I'd buy one if the price wasn't say $3500...but like a couple hundred or so and it had rock solid Malkoff good innerds.

Last edited:

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
This system would be progressive in the shading, wouldn't it?
(I mean, from low to med to high diffusion).

I wonder if the diffuser could be set to shade-down (or reflect back) the spill, but leave the centre of the lens clear.
Would we need a control ring to adjust it?

Looks like it would be expensive - but cool!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not that easy. Spill is the light that dont hit the reflector. The light that hits the reflector goes in the spot. So leaving the center of the lense wont be helping mutch.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jorn,

Surely if the centre of the lens is clear, leaving the underside of the window reflective, those reflections would contain the spill and "recycle" the photons?
(Through the aperture?).