1200 lumen Led flashlight

rokowski

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys and girls!
I am new on the forum and since i can hardly navigate myself through sections i created this new topic.
So I am looking forward to buy a 1200 lumen flashlight, and do not really know about what each manufacturer has to offer, so i am asking here. What would be the best flashlight to buy in europe for 50-60€?
Thanks in advance

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
So many options... I think you have to ask yourself first what size overall you are looking for, do you want a very floody beam or throwy beam or somewhere in the middle, and what battery types you are willing to use. I'm personally a big Fenix fan so I'd suggest checking out all their lights.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Like martinaee said, there are a lot of other variables.

To make it simple, here are two questions to start with.

1: what is the size you are looking for?
2: Do you want to see something 1,000 yards away, or do you want to be able to see everything around you (floody beam)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
and do not really know about what each manufacturer has to offer, so i am asking here. What would be the best flashlight to buy in europe for 50-60€?
Thanks in advance
I would suggest checking out Fenix and Nitecore. I personally prefer Nitecore, I feel they have the most useful selection of flashlights that have great size for every day carry, as well as perfect modes and mode spacing. They are also waterproof and durable lights. I have posted several reviews of Nitecore flashlights.

MX421

Enlightened
Hello guys and girls!
i can hardly navigate myself through sections

Taking the advice from above, figure what you want to use the flashlight for, then navigate to the review section of this forum and look at flashlights that fit your need. To start off with, I'd go with a Fenix PD35 (mix of mostly flood with some throw) or a Olight S30 (some stores have the aluminum model on sale for around $40 USD. Those have around 1000 lumens though, so not as high as you like. However, these are fairly portable lights that have a good balanced beam profile.

...and so it begins..."

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
For OP though, I'll add to that that unless you specifically need an actual 1200 lumens you can not see a huge difference between most lights ranging from say 800 lumens to 1200 lumens. The BIG differences are in intensity due to throw and tint color. I think if you are new to lights and want something "high" end I'd go with something like a PD35 or any of the newer lights from the past year or two that can do around 1000 lumens on one 18650 battery. You'll love how compact they are. If you go up to two 18650 lights they can sustain the max brightness much longer as the drain on each battery isn't nearly as dramatic and it's also usually more efficient than high power on one 18650. For two 18650 light you can choose between a lot of lights that are either stacked 18650s for longer handles or the side by side formats. The newest Fenix TK35s are really nice for the side by side format and very high output for their size.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a real 1200 lumens, while staying within budget, is a challenge.

The BLF A6 Special Edition is one flashlight that can do that. It uses a FET+1 driver that runs the light as bright as possible in turbo mode. The technical term is "direct drive." The A6 driver feeds as much current to the emitter as the battery is capable of producing. That means that your flashlight starts out bright on a fresh battery, but then gets dimmer as the battery weakens. Due to the high heat that is generated on turbo, the A6 uses a timed step-down. After 45 seconds in turbo mode, it steps down to the next highest level.

There is nothing wrong with that. That is the way the A6 was designed. It is the only way to get the high output that the A6 does using a single 18560 battery and a single Cree XP-L emitter. Running on something like the Samsung 30Q battery, you should get around 1350-1400 lumens in turbo mode.

I bought two A6 flashlights myself.

Recently, the sole seller of the A6 flashlight, Banggood, released its own version of the A6 under a different brand. Banggood might change the design later, but for now, the Astrolux S1 is identical to the BLF A6. It's price is also the same, but with a difference. The Astrolux S1 includes a short tube that allows you to run the flashlight using an 18350 battery that is approximately half the size of a standard 18650 battery. Makes for a nice, compact flashlight.

A similar short tube is available for the BLF A6, but is an option that is sold separately. So the Astrolux S1 is probably the better deal at this writing.

Keep your eye on the prices of these two. They will vary over time. Be wary of any changes in design, as well.

Another way to get your 1200 lumens at a low-to-moderate price is to purchase one of the custom multi-emitter Convoy flashlights that are made by Mountain Electronics. I have no experience with these, but Mountain Electronics has earned a good reputation at CPF. You can send an email to the owner Richard to explain what you are looking for.

If you can afford to spend a little more, there are many options that become available. I, for instance, own the Nitecore P36. It uses two 18560 batteries to power a Cree MT-G2 emitter, and can reach 2000 lumens in turbo mode. More interesting is its 1100 lumen setting. In his review, CPF member selfbuilt found that mode actually output 1300 lumens, and stayed constant for a solid hour. During the second hour, it declined slowly, reaching 50% after two hours.

Selfbuilt used 3100mAh batteries in his tests, so runtimes should be longer on something like the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh.

Over the weekend, I saw the P36 on sale for $81 USD (but I forget where!). I paid $85 when I bought mine back in May.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
+1 on the BLF A6, i had forgotten about that one. The UI on that one is a pretty good variation of the simple step up clickie operation found in most flashlights (the A6 can also step down). That flashlight is around $30 USD

Also +1 on the convoy, although the UI is the simple step-up type, the price on this is very good. Gearbest had them on sale the other day, but I've read somewhee on here about people getting fakes on that site. The ones i got from there are pretty close to what the normal ones would be. The Convoy S2+ (and C8) can be had for a little over half the BLF light.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a real 1200 lumens, while staying within budget, is a challenge.

The BLF A6 Special Edition is one flashlight that can do that. It uses a FET+1 driver that runs the light as bright as possible in turbo mode. The technical term is "direct drive." The A6 driver feeds as much current to the emitter as the battery is capable of producing. That means that your flashlight starts out bright on a fresh battery, but then gets dimmer as the battery weakens. Due to the high heat that is generated on turbo, the A6 uses a timed step-down. After 45 seconds in turbo mode, it steps down to the next highest level.

There is nothing wrong with that. That is the way the A6 was designed. It is the only way to get the high output that the A6 does using a single 18560 battery and a single Cree XP-L emitter. Running on something like the Samsung 30Q battery, you should get around 1350-1400 lumens in turbo mode.

I bought two A6 flashlights myself.

Recently, the sole seller of the A6 flashlight, Banggood, released its own version of the A6 under a different brand. Banggood might change the design later, but for now, the Astrolux S1 is identical to the BLF A6. It's price is also the same, but with a difference. The Astrolux S1 includes a short tube that allows you to run the flashlight using an 18350 battery that is approximately half the size of a standard 18650 battery. Makes for a nice, compact flashlight.

A similar short tube is available for the BLF A6, but is an option that is sold separately. So the Astrolux S1 is probably the better deal at this writing.

Keep your eye on the prices of these two. They will vary over time. Be wary of any changes in design, as well.

Another way to get your 1200 lumens at a low-to-moderate price is to purchase one of the custom multi-emitter Convoy flashlights that are made by Mountain Electronics. I have no experience with these, but Mountain Electronics has earned a good reputation at CPF. You can send an email to the owner Richard to explain what you are looking for.

If you can afford to spend a little more, there are many options that become available. I, for instance, own the Nitecore P36. It uses two 18560 batteries to power a Cree MT-G2 emitter, and can reach 2000 lumens in turbo mode. More interesting is its 1100 lumen setting. In his review, CPF member selfbuilt found that mode actually output 1300 lumens, and stayed constant for a solid hour. During the second hour, it declined slowly, reaching 50% after two hours.

Selfbuilt used 3100mAh batteries in his tests, so runtimes should be longer on something like the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh.

Over the weekend, I saw the P36 on sale for $81 USD (but I forget where!). I paid $85 when I bought mine back in May.

Oh man.. I remember reading about that BLF A6 a while back. I might have to get one of those some day.