AA to Li-ion

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D mag that uses two battery holders, both 3AA to D size in series.
I rarely use it anymore and would like to switch to two D cell lithium batteries.
At this point I don't see any need for rechargeable.
Any reason why it can't be done?
Any brands to avoid?

xzel87

Enlightened
Perhaps I'm not well versed in the topic but is there even a D sized Lithium Primary cell?, I know there are AA sized, AAA sized and 9V sized but I have never heard of a D sized Lithium Primary cell.

Perhaps an LED drop in upgrade from Malkoff Devices or other brand and 2x26650 Li-Ion Cell with battery sleeve?...but that's another whole can of colourful exciting worms:D

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
D cell sizes exist but rechargeable ones don't seem to. Thanks for the idea but this is a custom light and I don't have the option to drop something in.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2D mag that uses two battery holders, both 3AA to D size in series.
I rarely use it anymore and would like to switch to two D cell lithium batteries.
At this point I don't see any need for rechargeable.
Any reason why it can't be done?
Any brands to avoid?

Your holders are each probably wired in parallel, for capacity and then they're both placed in series to equal the voltage of two D alkalines in series--3v.

If each holder was wired in series, you'd have 4.5v+4.5v for a total of 9v, which is probably not the case with a stock 3v light.

There are 32650 lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, but they're off the charger voltage will be ~4.2v, so 8.4v in series. You can get plenty of mods. I don't think that there are any D size Energizer Lithium Advanced, or Ultimates for use to buy.

Chris

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
I didn't think of that, thanks. I will look into it.
I also vaguely remember that two 18650's will fit with a bit of mod to the spring. I'll look it up.

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPVA6OalTJv5Gfazz3Xd1-jDM0bgu-avbYk0oJD

The high trek knob on the pot is a sink washer. A bit more than half a turn from full on to "dim". It's about as bright as a 3 cell incan mag light but with much more spill.
I would show it to people (other volunteer fire fighters) in this setting and get a polite "that's nice "
Flick it to high and their lights are useless.
The reflective tape is there for two reasons. I wanted to be seen by traffic and finding it again in a dark grassy field is a bit easier.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
Where does the information that 5000 is fake come from?
The value is in line with the ratio of a 10650 (2200). to an 18650 (3500)

mpainter

Newly Enlightened
I gave the capacity, volume ratio would be much higher.
In any event you claim the ratings are fake. Where is the evidence?