Lumapower Encore and the correct 18650 cell, based on cell dimension

rdailey

Newly Enlightened
I have the Encore (new version), which is a pretty alright light. The size of it, for an 18650 light, is wonderful. The size is what drew me to it. The light output is not great, but it's definitely good for a slim EDC 18650 light. I would like you to know that I am a flashlight enthusiast and I'm beginning to turn into a hobbyist with them. I absolutely love flashlights and CPF keeps me looking at more and more aspects. But I do not have as much experience with cells as many other people here.

I got the light and needed cells for it. I tried to put one of my Olight 3600mAh cells in it (which, by the model number, is likely produced by Orbtronic), and it was a snug fit. It goes in the tube but does not wiggle around, which is fine -- it isn't too tight, but no remaining space at all. But the cap will not screw on all the way because the cell is way too long for this light. I would estimate that it is about 2mm too long to fit correctly. This ORB-186C36 cell is just under 69mm height, which is pretty typical for a protected 18650, as I have seen from all of the battery talk on CPF.

I also had a cheap counterfeit clone UltraFire light which came with two cheap counterfeit clone 18650 cells. The cells are red and silver, labeled as UltraFire BRC 18650 3800mAh 3.7V "with Re/Discharging Protection Circuit." These cells are 66mm height. These fit perfectly in the Encore. I don't understand how it's possible they have a protection circuit and are so short.

The problem is that the cheap xxxxFire cells are junk with absolutely horrible runtime and I want a GOOD cell or two for my Encore. All of the good cells are protected and are 68-69mm in height and we already know that won't fit in my Encore.

Ricky advised that the Encore can run unprotected or protected cells, so I'd take either. It requires a button top because of the mechanical reverse polarity protection inside the light. I asked him for a suggestion on a brand and he recommended checking out the Soshine cells. There is a fairly thorough thread on Soshine 18650 cells, and it includes a measurement which is over 68mm. Again, that's too long for my Encore.

I'm having a very hard time finding an 18650 cell, unprotected or protected, with button top and of the appropriate length to fit in the Encore. Certainly someone else has an Encore and ran into a battery fitment problem of some sort. I'd like some input on what cells you ended up using and where you find them.

Rob