Why do aaa lights even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancow

Newly Enlightened
Let alone are popular? A aa light is better in every way and almost the same size.

Borad

Enlightened
I need the space in my key case. And I may be adding one of these pill cases for a spare battery.

25fhamc.jpg

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let alone are popular? A aa light is better in every way and almost the same size.

My first thought was...

Why do AA lights exist? Let alone are popular? A CR123 light is better in every way and almost the same size.

scout24

Flashaholic
You meant 18650 lights, right seery? :nana: I'm hoping this leads to some constructive discussion re: the positive attributes of AAA lights and not a "Mine's better than Yours" fest...

fnsooner

Enlightened
AAA light = key chain light
2xAAA light = shirt pocket pen light

Their AA counterparts would be too big for these purposes IMO.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You meant 18650 lights, right seery? :nana:

Hahaha. True that!

I actually really like AAA lights and find they are just enough smaller than AA to make them easily disappear in an EDC kit. :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
I find there to be a lot of really nice AAA offerings, it's been one of my favorite categories of lights since landing here. Everything from humble battery vampires that will survive just about anything (E01) to functional art offerings like the Sapphire, Enrique's and Photonfanatic's lights. If I'm not mistaken, the Arc AAA was a sign of the educated Flashaholic not too long ago... :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline AAA's are not a good choice compared to alkaline AA's, cost wise.

But If you look at a ZebraLight SC62 variant compared to a switched AA flashlight, well, check out how much energy comes out of an 18650 battery compared to a Li-ion 14500.

So, for some of us, 10440 Li-ion flashlights are virtually unnoticeable in our pockets or key sets, then a small 18650 light. AA's are odd-man-out.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really, especially in diameter. You could make this same argument with any sized cell.

Obviously there's more to AAA lights than you realize, otherwise they wouldn't be that popular.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
AAA lights are cool!!!

Micro stream, stylus pro, multi ops 3aaa, bushnell 22149, all the coast hp7 series, led lensers, mini-mini mags and solitaires, and all those multi led lights at check out counters....heck yeah...aaa's are cool.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with OP in every way - AA is more common, has 3 times the capacity. I obsoleted all AAA devices years ago, as not to complicated the logistics. What bothers me is why they put AAA in devices like remote controls where space is not an issue. All these lites with 3xAAA tend to be junky.

The other one, while we are at it, is the CR2 cell. The 123 is better in every way and about the same size.

If you want to use the AAA - go ahead. For me, there is no reason to ever use it.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA is great for keychain lights like Maratac which give around 100 lumens in something small enough for a keychain. I wouldn't want anything bigger and an AA light would be too large for my purposes. That alone is one great reason for AAA lights. Not to mention they are much smaller in diameter and quite a bit smaller/lighter also.

Status
Not open for further replies.