Cool White LED Light Bulb for Fully Enclosed Porch Light

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I'm having trouble finding a Cool White LED light bulb for a fully-enclosed porch light fixture. The light fixture is mounted under the eves of the home, so is partially protected from exposure to the elements. If possible, I'd like to find a light bulb that is: * High quality * Reliable * A19 * 40w equivalent (first choice) or 60w equivalent (second choice) * Wet-rated outdoor * Suitable for fully enclosed porch light fixture * Cool White (5000K or higher) Any ideas?

warpdrive

Enlightened
Hi - I'm having trouble finding a Cool White LED light bulb for a fully-enclosed porch light fixture. The light fixture is mounted under the eves of the home, so is partially protected from exposure to the elements. If possible, I'd like to find a light bulb that is: * High quality * Reliable * A19 * 40w equivalent (first choice) or 60w equivalent (second choice) * Wet-rated outdoor * Suitable for fully enclosed porch light fixture * Cool White (5000K or higher) Any ideas?

I use these
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-40W...ght-Bulb-BA19-04550OMF-12DE26-2U100/204698819

suitable for enclosed fixtures, and rated for "damp use"

1DaveN

Enlightened
+1 on the Cree from Home Depot. I prefer the warm ones - outdoor cool white look a little institutional in my opinion, but there's no getting around the fact that they appear brighter. We have them in a couple of places where our primary concern is security.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the outside of the home, I'm using 60W daylight by Cree. A bit blue but they seem brighter than warm white bulbs.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
I was going to suggest those or the GE bright stik bulbs. I have both in various places around the house, incl bathroom, garage and outdoors. All are working well for me so far.

FRITZHID -

I was under the impression that the GE Bright Stik LED light bulbs are only for indoor use. Is that not the case?

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Cree from Home Depot. I prefer the warm ones - outdoor cool white look a little institutional in my opinion, but there's no getting around the fact that they appear brighter. We have them in a couple of places where our primary concern is security.

1DaveN -

Although I did not mention it in my original post, my primary concern in this case is security, not aesthetics. I am hoping the cool white color temperature of the LED light bulb will act as a deterrent to mean-spirited neighbors and the various wildlife pests/vermin that they are trying to attract to my home. (Thanks for the "heads up", however, regarding the light bulb potentially causing a bit of an institutional look.)

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
On the outside of the home, I'm using 60W daylight by Cree. A bit blue but they seem brighter than warm white bulbs.

Parrot Quack -

I was thinking of using a Cree 40W Equivalent Daylight LED light bulb to start with, then switching to a 60W Equivalent version if it didn't appear to be having enough of a deterrent effect (from a security perspective). Do you think it would be better to start out with the 60W Equivalent version instead?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
FRITZHID -

I was under the impression that the GE Bright Stik LED light bulbs are only for indoor use. Is that not the case?

Well, I have 3 outdoors, 2 in fairly inclosed fixtures and one on the back porch that's completely exposed but not drenched upon, maybe misted in high wind rains....in FL, USA. The other 3 are in an open bathroom fixture. All have been in use for almost a full season and get regular/heavy use and all are functioning, unlike the cfl bulbs they replaced which were getting 3-6 months.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
1DaveN -

Although I did not mention it in my original post, my primary concern in this case is security, not aesthetics. I am hoping the cool white color temperature of the LED light bulb will act as a deterrent to mean-spirited neighbors and the various wildlife pests/vermin that they are trying to attract to my home. (Thanks for the "heads up", however, regarding the light bulb potentially causing a bit of an institutional look.)

Whats the story there?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 3 of the CW HD Cree bulbs. Had them in almost a year now and they still burn bright as ever 2 for my front porch lights and one for an outside door. I use a mix of warm and cool Cree HD bulbs all throughout my house one of the best investments Ive ever made

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have a couple of the Cree 60w warm-white bulbs in outdoor enclosed fixtures. These are the original Crees, not the newer flow-through lamps. They've been running fine for at least a year.

FlashlightFun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much to all of you who took the time and effort to reply to my post. This is a great forum! I'm thinking of possibly replacing the porch light in question. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any (relatively) high quality porch light brands with reliable built-in dusk-to-dawn sensors?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are any of these bulbs the same size or smaller than a 60w incandescent?

I have enclosed fixtures in the house that won't accept any bulb longer than a 60w incandescent.

GE Light Sticks are too long and the package says their output can diminish in a fully enclosed fixture like mine.