Best 18650 cells for Olight SR52UT?

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an Olight SR52UT and was wondering what the best choice would be for rechargeable cells. With the usb charging port I'd like to just throw a set of batteries in and not really worry about it again.

I currently have some Olight 18650/2600 cells and some Nitecore 18650/3400's. But I think there must be an 18650 choice that would be "optimal" for this light, and hopefully provide a somehwat flat output regulation at full power.

ven

Flashaholic
For cost, any 18650 3400mah offer good value, not sure if the 3500mah 10a cells fit or not, that would be another option if so. I use efest protected with pany B inside, work fine as its not a high A light. Sure its button top only, just double check if the + recessed for polarity protection.

swan

Banned
Unfortunately regulated output on the highest output level is not possible with the sr52 as it is wired in parallel.
The ncr18650ga 3500mAH are probably your best choice of cell.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Unfortunately regulated output on the highest output level is not possible with the sr52 as it is wired in parallel.
The ncr18650ga 3500mAH are probably your best choice of cell.

Its direct drive iirc on the highest mode, so for a more regulated output or higher lumens for longer, higher drain should benefit this light even though there is not much A demand.

The tm16/gt is also direct drive on turbo mode, again for a flatter more regulated output, high drain would benefit that application too.

Back on the sr52, at 1100 or 1200lm, its not much demand, so pany B cells will be fine(well they are fine as i use them and what little difference after 20-30 mins is hard to tell by eye anyway).

If the 3500mah fit, then thats where my money would go being a newer cell and a higher A rating, it will give a higher output for longer when DD.

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. I'm guessing "pany b" refers to Panasonic 18650-B cells (???). Still new to this hobby and not familiar with all the jargon!

Anyway, I'll order another Nitecore 3400 as I only have two of those right now. I'll just try out this flashlight with some Olight 2600's to begin with since those are the only ones I have three of. If I notice a major performance difference between those cells and the NC 3400's I'll post here about it. Also if these "pany b" cells are priced reasonably perhaps I'll pick up a few of those as well. Never hurts to have more batteries!

ven

Flashaholic
Yes sorry, pany B is the panasonic 3400 cells, pany A are the 3100.

Output no difference, run time yes, maybe a 1/3 longer in run times...........

Nitceore,Olight, what ever brand you pay a premium for the manufacturers wrap, inside is still a pany B(providing they are 3400mah cells). So opt for generic or keeppower are well priced. Imho NC cells are over priced and the wraps are quite delicate..........

KeepPower/Xtar offer reasonable value for the pany B's ...........

Just make sure the 3 cells are matched(same mah,same age) and keep with the light so their charge/discharge stay the same.

Its a cracking light, enjoy!

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened

Nitceore,Olight, what ever brand you pay a premium for the manufacturers wrap, inside is still a pany B(providing they are 3400mah cells). So opt for generic or keeppower are well priced. Imho NC cells are over priced and the wraps are quite delicate..........

Just make sure the 3 cells are matched(same mah,same age) and keep with the light so their charge/discharge stay the same.

Wow. Thank you for that explanation. There's clearly a lot I don't know!

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I personally only use Olight batteries in Olights just personal pref but any good brand name cell like olight, nitecore that's protected should do the job. I always look for highest mAh. I would go with new cells so you can marry them together, using stray cells isn't a good idea

erict18650

Newly Enlightened

Is it normal practice when a company puts their wrap on that it's the only wrap? Reason I asked this is Nitecore wraps over the Panasonic wrap so there is actually two wraps on the cell.

Last edited:

erict18650

Newly Enlightened
Is it normal practice when a company puts their wrap on that it's the only wrap? Reason I asked this is Nitecore wraps over the Panasonic wrap so there is actually two wraps on the cell.

Just discovered Nitecore adds the PCB, then wraps it in their wrap.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to emphasize something Ven wrote earlier.

When a flashlight uses multiple Li-ion 18650 batteries, best practice is to buy all batteries at the same time. They should be matched for manufacturer, capacity, and, as much is possible, manufacturing lot. When you put your batteries in a flashlight, it is critical that they all have the same state of charge (SOC). Don't mix half charged and fully charged batteries.

The reason for this is so that the batteries age together, hopefully remaining matched. When they are matched, they discharge at approximately the same rate. If they are not matched, or if one battery has a lower SOC than the others, it is possible that one battery will be fully discharged in your flashlight before the others. This can be dangerous because the depleted battery will sometimes get recharged from the other batteries while you are using your flashlight. This is a process called "reverse charging."

Dangerous levels of reverse charging are much more likely to occur when batteries are connected in series than when they are connected in parallel. That's good news for you, because the batteries in the Olight SR52UT are connected in parallel. When batteries are placed in parallel, and all start with the same voltage, then the parallel arrangement tends to keep the voltage matched as the batteries are depleted. This is not so when batteries are connected in series.

If you bought your three Olight 2600mAh batteries as a group, all from the same vendor on the same date, they would have started out as a matched set. If you have used them separately, however, or recharged some of them more often than the others, then they may no longer be matched. That's because battery characteristics vary depending how often they are recharged and how deeply they are discharged or charged in use.

Storage conditions also play a role in keeping batteries matched. Batteries in a matched set should be stored together, so that they experience the same ambient temperature. They should be recharged together, so that when they are stored, they are all stored at the same voltage (i.e., SOC). In general, you want to recharge a Li-ion battery as soon as it needs it. Storing a Li-ion battery in a discharged condition will shorten its life. Storing one in a deeply discharged condition can even be dangerous when you attempt later to recharge it. For long-term storage, discharge your batteries to around 3.6 volts. Storing them fully charged or fully discharged will shorten their lives.

Some chargers, called "analyzers," have the ability to check the capacity and internal resistance of a Li-ion battery. This allows you to periodically test the batteries in a matched set to verify that they remain matched.

Best practice is to buy a new set of matched batteries to go into your new multi-cell flashlight. Protected batteries based on the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh cell are a good choice for the SR52UT. You can get them from KeepPower, Orbtronic, EVVA, Olight (?), and others. In the USA, Mountain Electronics sells the protected EVVA GA at a good price.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Just discovered Nitecore adds the PCB, then wraps it in their wrap.

yes, i think the most popular choice of PCB are seiko that manufacturers use.

I have had good results with keeppower for money/performance/life etc.
Olight
Nitecore
Fenix
Orbtronic
AW
Efest(bit of a mess right now as a brand but the 3400 are pany inside)
Xtar

Off top of my head, cant really go wrong and as KIL mentioned, make sure the 3 match, same batch/brand. If possible buy from a respectable source...........no cheap whim from banggood etc. Not saying anything wrong,some good offers but 2+week wait and you never quite know what you might get. Just stick with places like mtn electronics,going gear etc that have strong reps!

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up three new Olight 3400 cells for 31 bux. Those will simply LIVE in the SR52UT.