Upload High Res Pictures for Forum Sharing

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So yet another service that I was using to upload higher-res photos is closing down, and all the pictures I posted using that service will once again go away, so I'll end up with yet another string of posts from the past that have missing images. Is there a photo-sharing service remaining that will direct link sharing of high res images (up to ~15Mb each)? Photobucket doesn't do high res, DropBox doesn't do direct linking..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yeah, Amazon Cloud will show you an original that you can copy a link from as well, but the link goes away after a few days. But just to see if it works:

24579398549_1b92a68d5e_o.jpg

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
the links seem to last a long time.

I've got a ton of posts in the Bicycle Lights subforum with schematics and stuff that are links back to Flickr. I think there could be some that are 5 years old or more (I don't have the intention or desire to actually check on how old they are, but I'm amazed when people start referencing some old threads where I've posted Flickr images).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Okay, so I created a Flickr account and uploaded a picture, but I can't get to that download selection screen that you have there; from Camera Roll or Photostream it just takes me to a generic share page, not like the one you have with all the sizes listed up top and the image displayed in-window. How did you get to that screen?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flickr is pretty good, most stable part of Yahoo!. ImageShack is the worst because the links eventually die. Google's Panaramio gets high marks, but Google loves to update and change things without notice. Pinterest and Instagram are annoying, using Javascript wrappers over images if you try to load an image to save full size, won't let other users download and keep images. I like Imgur and Photobucket, and whatever else has a mobile app for easy uploads and direct linking that seem to persist, without preventing saving or downloads.
Here is a list of them all:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_photo-sharing_websites

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
let me give this a shot....

step 1: go to the page for the individual image, as shown below (using one of my recent photos as the example)....
left click on the "down arrow" in the lower right corner

24677266789_98472a3218_z_d.jpg

step 2: .....a menu pops up. click on "View all sizes" at the bottom.......

24749340140_e30d70009a_z_d.jpg

step 3: select "medium 640"

24749339850_04f113683c_z_d.jpg

step 4: this is the page with the 640 pixel image.

24418040403_245fda1af9_z_d.jpg

step 5: right click on "Download the medium 640 size of this photo", and this menu pops up. Select "Copy Link Location". This gives you the URL with "staticflickr.com" as part of the link.

24951596391_31aed8b822_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
let me give this a shot....

Ah HA, thank you sir; that was totally confounding me. Now I just need the links to last as long as yours do..

25023199236_63dcd90b03_o.jpg

I like Imgur and Photobucket, and whatever else has a mobile app for easy uploads and direct linking that seem to persist, without preventing saving or downloads.

Either of those are awesome for cell phone snaps, the problem is I'm using camera equipment that costs more than the computer, so I'd like to get my money's worth when I'm sharing; it still stuns me that 20+ years after the introduction of the graphical browser, it's still assumed any picture you will ever need to share will be under 1000 pixels/500KB - kind of defeats the purpose of digital cameras/fiber-optic internet/multi-core processors/high-ppi displays/basically every computer innovation since 1995. If we're all agreed that we no longer need "56K Warning - Pictures" notifications, then why hasn't the bar for sharing photos moved since then?

Last edited: