Modified light discussions.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ready to step up to a modified light and I don't see a thread for buying a modified light from Vinh or others. The purpose of the thread is for everybody to discuss their experiences with custom/modified lights, answer questions for the ignorant like me and we'll see where the thread goes.

Due to Ven's efforts, I'm currently looking to have a Nitecore TM16 modified by Vinh so I get extra lumens, throw and don't have the heat problems of currently modified TK75vnQ lights when on Turbo. We're in the wait and see frame of life as Vinh awaits the arrival of the TM16 to see what he can do.

Just saying, the thread has no context other than everybody posting and discussing their experiences with modified light purchases. Myself? I have no experience with modified lighting so this is all new to me.

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the world of Modified Lights and/or Custom lights is very hard on the wallet, but well worth it whether you are getting into "more lumens the better", or machining works of art, or a combination of both!

most makers who have their own forum will have sale threads in their forums, or just in the general Custom/Modified For Sale forum.

There's a lot to choose from depending on what your light preferences are.

For my use, more lumens is not my preference, but a good looking beam with good color does better for me.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah the world of modified lights.

I have lots of modded lights, most of which I modded myself. If you have a soldering iron it's a fun hobby to get into. A light feels so much more satisfying after you've customized it from the ground up and built it yourself. Especially, if you've made something unique nobody else has.

I prefer small EDC "pocket rockets", so virtually all of my mods are on small 1x18650 lights or smaller. A few of my more recent mods:

Aleto N8 zoomie - Small, tube-shaped zoomable flashlight. 92mm long, but boasting a very wide flood and impressive 38K lux throw.
  • Replaced emitter with XPL HI
  • Driver swap to 17mm FET driver with moppydrv e-switch firmware
  • Removed tailcap switch. Added electronic side switch and switch housing with rubber button.
  • shortened some internal components including the pill
  • replaced stock 18mm aspheric lens with 20mm aspheric lens.
  • Added knurling to head
  • Added rubber grip on body tube
  • Refinished exterior with Duracoat tactical black.

Aleto N8 zoomie with fresnel lens
- similar to the above, but with a fresnel lens instead of an aspheric. 87 mm long. World's smallest 18650 zoomie. 26K lux throw.

• Replaced emitter with XPL HI
  • Driver swap to 17mm FET driver with moppydrv e-switch firmware
  • Removed tailcap switch. Added electronic side switch and switch housing with metal button.
  • shortened some internal components including the pill, head and body
  • replaced stock 18mm aspheric lens with 20mm fresnel lens.
  • Added knurling to head
  • Hand-carved knurling added to body tube
  • Refinished exterior with Duracoat tactical dark grey.

Convoy S2+ mini - converted this short 18350 tube-light into something resembling a Zebralight SC52, but with 4x the output. (2000+ lumens) 73 mm long

• Replaced single emitter with triple 5000K XPL with widened 10507 optic.
  • Added FET driver with lumodrv ramping firmware
  • Sawed off back of tail and tailcap switch. Added external e-switch and switch housing at head of the light.
  • Added ribbed external heatsink at head of the light.
  • Shortened pill and removed battery compartment springs to allow room for an IMR 18500 cell.

DQG 18650 Tiny III clicky - converted to a ridiculously bright pocket rocket. 87mm (3000 lumens)
  • Replaced single emitter with triple XPL HI 5000K 3D
  • Added internal copper heatsink platform for triple star
  • Demolished stock driver and mounted 17mm FET driver with moppydrv e-switch firmware in its place
  • Added ribbed heatsink around head
  • Added raised ring around button to prevent accidental activation
  • Coated exposed portions of metal button and ring with thin layer of super-glue to help protect hand from heat.

It's a lot of fun to plan a unique mod, then painstakingly assemble it and watch it come together.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thread idea, I have to say alot of modded lights are outa my price but as with fireclaw I have started to mod lights I buy so they meet my needs or wants almost perfectly.
I have just put a triple neutral xp g2 in my sunwayman v25c . And it is now like my fav do everything light.
Sometimes I take a light apart and do body mods , like sanding down the switch protection to make switch access more tactical ? Easyer for gloves and stuff.
It is fun !

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, modified lights means current boost, which yields more lumens. This will result in more heat and less runtime. However, if the modified light yields what you want, then there is the raison d'etre.

Also. modified light can include better heat management, such as direct copper bonding and additional thermal stuff, such as additional thermal paste.

Modification can entail dedoming, remove and replace emitters with different emitters, reflector/emitter positional tuning, remove and replace driver, etc.

I absolutely love my Vinh lights; they provide what I want: Moar lumens.

ven

Flashaholic
Great decision to get the standard tm16gt modified!

Modified to me means several things, improving over standard, be it heat sinking and output, LED choices, tint, de-dome/shaved dome, better components/drivers/internals and finishes. Be them a specific metal to heat treating........

Being able to program a driver is a huge benefit, to suit what mode groups work for you. Then choices of LED's which is an extra good thing with brands like Fenix!

So its an option to get a near perfect light for a customer, be them wanting a far throwing light in their tint or an out and out flood monster(and everything in between).

The biggest obstacle is heat dissipation, over 4000lm seems to take its toll quite quick which right now is hard to get around other than mass(maybe the only way until LED tec develops further . I dont think we have it bad today, pretty much spoilt for choice :)

Right now, i have a thing for triples and quads............ok i always have :laughing:

Personal arsenal, dedicated thrower/s and flooder/s, then anything in between them really. I do like throwy lights, just my uses are a little limited other than fun! Flood type suits my needs better generally , so i have more lights in that category(dont mean mules so still can reach out a bit). However a nice balance in between is also very much liked!