Good *CHEAP* LED drop ins for Surefire?

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
I've got a half dozen old Surefire incans that have been collecting dust in drawers since replacing them all with LED lights years ago. I've got 2 6Ps, 3 G2s and a 9P and I'm looking to replace the bulbs with LED drop ins. I know Malkoff makes a quality product but I don't want t spend that much when I've got several to replace. These will still be backups to my 6P LED, G2Xs, and E series LEDs so I'm looking for economical options. Any suggestions for cheaper LED drops ins?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever considered building your own? I'm not a Surefire guy, but I think most of those you listed take P60 sized drop-ins, yes? You can get all the parts you need from MtnElectronics and build your own, probably learning a bit in the process if you've never done it before.

* P60 shell ($3)
* Emitters on mcpcb - you need something on a 16mm board ($4-$7, depending on your choice)
* Drivers - I like this Qlite driver a lot. I'd order it with GuppyDrv flashed. ($5.20)

That's really all you'd need except a bit of thermal paste to put under the mcpcb and some soldering gear to put it all together. Its not hard. You could shop around and probably get some of this stuff even cheaper, but this is really good equipment.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
eBay has all sorts of cheap drop ins. Especially if you order direct from China.

Yea, I've looked at those. Just hoping to get opinions, good or bad, from Anyone here who's actually used them.

MX421

Enlightened
Agree with the build your own if you have time. Solarforce has some pretty cheap drop-ins. Battery Junction also has some pretty cheap drop-ins that I've had good luck with although YMMV...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cheap and good are like military and intellegence or oil and water...you get to pick one or the other.

Avoid those $7 ones that claim 1000 lumens.
I second the SolarForce ones.
Realistic numbers at pretty good prices.

For your 9P keep in mind a 6+/- volt drop in will not last long using 9+/- volts.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the CUXP/CUXM drop in from Mountain Electronics. It is offered with either an XM-L2 emitter at 1000 lumens or a Nichia 219B emitter at 400 lumens. You also get your choice of several different sets of modes. At $20 USD shipped, it is a great deal on a well make light. But you won't be able to use it in the 9P because it is designed for use with ONE Li-Ion cell only.

Another source at a little bit higher price ($30 USD) is Lumens Factory. They sell a D26 (generic name for P60 size) drop in with your choice of Neutral White or 90+ CRI emitters. Output is 400/350 lumens, depending on which emitter. They offer a single mode version, or a triple mode version at 5%/30%/100%. They will handle up to 13v, so would work well in your 9P.

I have both in the lamps from both companies, and really like them. One is in my Seraph 6, one in my G2, and one in my 6P. Due to heat issues, I would recommend either the Nichia or the Lumens Factory drop ins, as they run cooler than the XM-L2, and don't pose any problems for the Nitrolon heads.

Qship1996

Enlightened
cheap chinese led on a surefire? Thats like putting cheap tires on a NEW corvette!

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
cheap chinese led on a surefire? Thats like putting cheap tires on a NEW corvette!

Actually, it's more like putting cheap tires on a 15 year old Corvette that would otherwise be up on blocks in the garage.

texas cop

Enlightened
I've used several in light builds for friends. Solarforce single mode dropins are their best longest living. Their multi mode ones don't work as long. The newer XM-L2 and XP-L ones with the 2.7-9.0 volt drivers are going to be the very best cheap dropin you can get.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
eBay has all sorts of cheap drop ins. Especially if you order direct from China.

Yea, I've looked at those. Just hoping to get opinions, good or bad, from Anyone here who's actually used them.

I went on a binge a while back and bought a few Solarforce L2 bodies that were on sale for $1.99 (I had some bezels and tailcaps left over from previous builds). I picked up a set of the 5 for $25 drop ins...not sure what emitter is used, but it's a very cool white with a pretty tight hot spot. Kind of what I expected for $5 each. I can't speak for reliability since I don't use them often, but build quality seems to be a few steps below Solarforce's less-expensive options. I've had good success with the $9 XR-E and low-voltage drop ins from Solarforce. Once you get to the $17-20 range, I really like the Int'l Outdoor drop ins (I think these are similar to what Mtn Electronics offers).