Simple Kroll Mod for the Legend AA Series

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hello All,

My apologies if this has already been covered, but in light of Lambda's release of the new Illuminator HD PRO, and considering the number of Mr. Bulk's LGI/SLGI units out there - I thought I'd pass this along to those who might benefit.

f9cf24a1.jpg

Many months ago, I dropped my 2-year-old Lambda Illuminator (my EDC) switch-down on the carpet - and the tail cap broke and came off. I've also repeatedly had many problems with the Legend switches becoming intermittent, no matter how much I tweaked the four-fingered contact or cleaned and treated them. I also don't trust them to be water-resistant enough for an occasional unintentional dunking while backpacking. Then I thought of the Kroll...

I noticed that the un-modified Kroll seemed to thread into the Legend body easily - then tightens-up and stops short. I didn't want to force anything, and wanted it to withstand frequent removal for use with NiMH, so here's the solution I found:

I took exactly two full threads off of the Kroll's plastic body (from the battery end, of course), as counted from the side opposite the contact spring. I did mine with a Dremel and carbide straight burr, with the Kroll body chucked into my drill press. A lathe would make this a 2 or 3 minute task, but sadly, I don't have one. Alternately, the threads could be easily dressed down by hand using a file.

Since converting to the Kroll about 5-6 months ago, I've had no problems so far, and I like the fact that it makes the light a bit shorter in length, thus allowing a better fit using the MM flap-over sheath. It has also easily survived more than one drop (switch down), and I feel better about it being more immune to water ingress.

Though I know there are many who don't like the Kroll, it has suited this application well thus far...

I hope someone else might find this information useful.

Have a Good One -

John

PS - FWIW, the "O"-ring grips are holding up well also, and the grip is very much improved over the stock rubber.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Very good...I ordered a red Brinkman 2 aa for my wide open Lux III sammich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I gonna order another kroll right now, thanks for the idea.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA

why haven't i thought of that?

thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for the info. Mine also broken, not because it was dropped, but i think the inner plastic melts during some short /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thanks again, it WORKS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif