Headband Instead Of Headlight

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used three headlights for XC skiing and machinery maintenance for the past 15 years. They are all old-tech incans, one is a 4D belt carry, one is dim and intermittent, and the last one broke. The large, 4D light is good quality and nice for extended run-time, but too big for comfortable skiing use. The other two were bulky when carrying in the pocket when not used, and too breakable when suffering (too numerous) skiing crashes.

Now I use a NiteIze or my homemade headband which will accept a variety of flashlights, such as: Arc AAA, Arc LS - 123 or TSP, Scorpion, MiniM*g AA & AAA, TT-1 & 2 etc. The homemade band came from the broken headlight and has a patch of velcro, 1"x2", sewen to each side, above where the ears are. A smaller and larger 2" wide elastic loop was sewn to either of, two, mating pieces of velcro. This allows the secure use of thin (AAA) or thicker (Scorpion) barreled flashlights, or one on each side. The velcro also allows adjustment for best beam spot, either right in front of you or further ahead. A split ring was sewn behind the velcro patch to attach a lanyard from the lights. This will keep the lights from falling into the snow and possibly getting lost.

This arrangement is less bulky when stored in the pocket and the flashlights are more rugged than headlights. This also allows for customizing your lights for the particular task. I suppose others have discovered this idea years ago but it's new for me. Thought I'd pass it along and ask if others have suggestions for headlamp solutions.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, charliek, I got one of those NiteIze and had a patch of velcro sewn to the side opposite of the existing elastic. My mother made two different sized elastic loops which she sewed to two mating halves of velcro. As mentioned, this gives enough vertical adjustment for close or far throw and the use of large or small lights.

I feel this has some advantages over a dedicated headlamp. Any opinions out there?

charliek

Enlightened
Oh man, I just re-read your post... sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Those mods sound like great ideas. I like the headband too... it's hard to match size-for size with a tiny light like the PT Aurora, but it does let you use your "walking light" as a worklight... I've used it with my Arc LSH with the 2AA TSP with great success- and you're right- it's easy to pack with you. Would I take it over a full size headlight like the PT Trident- absolutely!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, right off the top of my head i don't think it has any advantages over a good dual-headlamp 'cept one..

the fact that you can customize the flashlights you carry to meet the task..

with a dual-headlamp, you might have your main beam and then lower output LED's.. possibly LED's with two different levels..

indeed that would cover most all of your needs, but not as well as your sytem..

you could carry a Inova X5T and a Scorpion.. an Arc AA and a Arc LS.. a Twin Task with the Scorpion..

your system is much more customizeable.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I have tried using a Niteize headband I find I get a glare on my Glasses, and I can't get the light right where I want it.

It might be useful as a tire changing tool, but a regular LED head light works extremely well as a reading/task light.

Your band(s) with Velcro probably address the aiming problem nicely I would think.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
To what extent is it irritating to have the light coming from above your ear instead directly above your eyes? I imagine it's really irritating for very close-up work, but what about for, say, cooking tasks (or other tasks done at around arms length like looking through a closet or something)?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I mentioned my Glasses Joe. Light on the inside of them doesn't help me see in the least!

For the tasks you mention a headband is probably just peachy keen! I'll take my LED headlight!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that when light is needed for an extended period or for frequent and precise work, a GOOD headlight is superior. Some day I'll upgrade to a modern, LED/xenon, type with variable output. For now, while I'm on a short budget and short duration outings, I found the headband route a pleasant surprise. It looks like some really super headlights are available now, compared to 15 years ago.

Mattman

Enlightened
I use the Niteize headband as well. It's far from a perfect solution, but it is super cheap and very flexible. The dual elastic loops are also pretty clever because it allows you to even a small light like your Arc AAA in there if you want to. Aiming up too high is an issue, but you can adjust it enough on your head so that you may just have to look up a little and tilt your head down a little bit. It's a nice addition to carry along with you in case you need some hands-free light. Many times I just keep a light in there and throw it on just to look for something in the basement and it really works well for that.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
I have exclusivly used this set up since I discovored it. I use the band that EMS (I think Jac-Strap)carries. It is strech material, with vecro adjustable. There are two elastic loops for a light at different angles. I find the side mounted flashlight better than the front/hat mounting. The small lower powered led headlamps are not too bad, but in order to get alot of light the units get big, plus in the past it would have to have been incandescent. Right now my favorite is using my modded SL3AA-R2L lux. That is a high power long runtime headlamp! But I can also use any AA or 123 light!

I can see the potential problem though in wearing glasses....

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because nothing is perfect and I don't have the extensive experience with headlamps that some of you do, I thought I'd probe for some insight. A headlight will give easy aiming and no reflections when wearing glasses. Being made of plastic, having a hinge, and sticking up high can make the more powerful lights vulnerable to breaking, as mine did. A metal bodied flashlight, headband mounted, on the side, or top (a la JackStrap) of the head, give it greater protection.

Any recommendations on a rugged headlight that might survive a skiing spill? Thanks.

fleegs

Enlightened
To answer the question about a rugged headlight:

I own blackdiamond's lunar, moonlight, gemini, and zenix headlamps, as well as, a princeton tec aurora headlamp. All are pretty rugged. Banged them, threw them, hiked with them, sat on them, and no damage. Excluding the zenix headlamp. I just got it and have not had a chance to really use it. I will be hiking with it this weekend. It seems promising. It has two 5mm LEDs and a 1W LED in the middle. Their website is blackdiamondequipment.com. The gemini is a nice headlamp. The latest version has two 5mm LEDS and an incadescent lamp (black diamond sells many different incandescent lamps for their headlamps (in terms of brightness)). The moonlight has 4 5mm LEDs and the latest version now has different brightness levels. I do not own any but have heard Petzl headlamps are good. Flashlightreviews.com has reviews of headlamps. The Petzl Myo 5 (regulated LEDs) got 4.5 stars. Ooo, black diamond has a headlamp called the supernova and it has regulated LEDs and a regulated incandescent bulb. It also got 4.5 stars. I was going to get the supernova but decided to stay on the LED wagon and bought the zenix headlamp. The zenix 1W bulb seems a little less bright than an Arc LHS-S. It definately does not have the sidespill of the Arc LHS-S flashlight. Good Luck.

fleegs