Noctigon Meteor M43 with Panasonic NCR18650Bs?

wackyvegan

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys,
i tried to use said batteries in my Meteor M43 and they work. Haven´t tried turbo mode though. Will the cells work fine if i only use the other modes? How about continuous use in high-mode with 4 Amp? Will the cells be able to handle the drain?

p.s. I have high drain 25Rs and 30Qs cells for my M43, just wanted to know if i can go for more runtime if i don´t use turbo.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they should be fine in Turbo. There shouldn't be any real safety risk. The main thing is that the light just won't be as bright. I recommend sticking with 30Qs.

wackyvegan

Newly Enlightened
Hmm i looked at the datasheet again. Doesn´t it drain 7,5A on turbo? Thats certainly above the 6,4A max discharge

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an excerpt from the datasheet for the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650B battery. As you can see, it is rated for a maximum continuous discharge current of 4.875 amps.

Panasonic_NCR18650_B_Battery_Specifications_excer.jpg

Panasonic_NCR18650_B_Battery_Specifications_excer.jpg

plata0190

Enlightened
I highly raccomend those who own M43 as me, to use Yifang (Efan) 3500mAh 15A continuos green label.
Compared with basen 3100 40A, LG HJ3 and Samsung 25R. M43 won't blink the button to indicate poor power and the output in turbo was the same as other cells (measure with a ceiling bounce test).

ven

Flashaholic
I am sure the panasonic B's will get tired over time being asked for their max A rating. Not the best cell/s for the light imho..........

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure the panasonic B's will get tired over time being asked for their max A rating. Not the best cell/s for the light imho..........

This.

Also my understanding is that at their max drain rating they won't deliver 3400 mAh. You might actually get more runtime out of 30Qs.

wackyvegan

Newly Enlightened
I just did a performance test in turbomode with the 25Rs, 30Qs and the 18650Bs. Weird thing is, they all have the same result in the ceiling bounce test. I just measured for 10 secs or so but the results were identical. Why are some batteries recommended for highest output than? Will the performance go down after a longer time because of the higher internal resistance?

ven

Flashaholic
Both cells can provide the amps needed at that time interval, maybe the 25R would pip after say the voltage is bellow 4v(don't know). One is 20a and the other 15a so not a huge difference. Also depending on what equipment being used will also give more accurate results.

On a higher drain light, I would expect the 25R to be a little ahead.........although to the eye, you probably would not be able to tell.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
May i revive an old thread for a quick question...

My meteors are run on 30q's but the turbo mode starts blinking at me within a minute or two. Shouldnt the cells beable to support turbo for a fairly decent duration? After runnning the light 10 mins or so alternating turbo and high having the occasional blink, i check the cell voltage and they all said 4.04v (from 4.17) so surely theres plenty of juice left?

All the meteors seems to do the same. Can any one advise if this is normal behaviour.

Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
Is it a heat warning? not the actual cell voltage...........just a thought.

The 30Q should handle the light fine.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I thought the light had thermal management so surely that should handle itself? I might try a different UI and see if that changes things.
I assume you haven't experienced that with yours Ven?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hmmm tried all UI options and it still does it. It blinks once after about 60 seconds them stays steady on turbo but the button flashes blue/red or green/red. Thereafter if I ramp it down then back up again the beam will blink once on the higher outputs. I guess i can live with it, i just haven't noticed anybody else ever mention it.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Lol, I should have known that really shouldnt I.

I think ive gathered from the instructions that it's a brief warning of weak cells before the light reduces output. I'm suprised how quickly it starts warning you though. Guess thats just part of having a high drain light and i'm not used to that.

ven

Flashaholic
I wonder if you have a bad cell out of the 4. Try using another 4 cells from a different light and see if anything changes. Samsung's are definitely up to the job. I can use 10a 3500 mah LG's fine on the m43vn.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Unfortunately these are the only cells i have for use in the m43. They all discharge/charge perfectly equally so no sign of a duffun (i assume). One day ill get another set of cells, i quite fancy the vtc6 button tops, and ill see if theres any difference.
Cheers for your advice Ven, always appreciated. And as a side note, it seems the vnx2 is a better driver in this light for UI and effeciency