Do you have a flashlight grab-and-go box/bag?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am working on trying to set me up a case or bag that is basically just a flashlight grab-and-go case. I just finished a two week project rewiring a semi truck and was constantly using my lights. I wore my headlamp the whole time I was working and was having to switch batteries out every other day. While I keep spare batteries in my EDC bag along with an extra light (I carry two on my person all the time as well), I still think it would be nice to have a dedicated flashlight case. This way I have spare batteries, charger, extra lights, and a few extra accessories all in one convenient place. I can grab the case when I'm going on a trip, out hunting, on the boat, or to work and I know I have everything I need for my lights while leaving the spare batteries and light in my EDC bag alone. I know that may not make since but I like to have the items in my EDC bag as emergency or last ditch options that way I know I have them vs using them through the day and then not having them.

Anyway, do any of you guys or gals have something similar? I'm going to start with a simple bag I have and then move up to a pelican case once I determine what exactly I want in it.

Right now the contents will be:
●Nitecore D4 charger
●Fenix TK45
●Eneloops
●Tube of thread grease
●String

Eventually I would like to switch the items to the following:
●Convoy L6
●Convoy BD06
●Convoy S2+ with both 18350 and 18650 tube
●Xtar charger
●Fenix CL25R lantern
●Fenix HL60R
●3x26650 spare batteries
●3x18650 spare batteries
●3x18350 spare batteries for my edc
●2xAA spare batteries for my edc
●String
●Thread grease

MX421

Enlightened
Not a bad idea, i have a couple small bags that have a headlamp, a spare battery, clips, and a headband or two. If i start going out in the boat more often, i will put a set of lights that i plan on boating with. When i have a job that will require extensive light, i try to get all the bases covered with light types i think i'll need with spare batteries and stick them in a bag, but it isn't a dedicated one.

Around the house, I've been actually doing the opposite as you by spreading my lights out over the house to make sure i have a quick light to grab to augment my EDC (which, when home is more than one to begin with).

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yes I am about to use it now for a 12 mile night run. Will post a pic later as moble. Just a Fenix HL50, 4/7 mini NW 1XAA and extra LSD NiMH in a small Lowepro hard case.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea, i have a couple small bags that have a headlamp, a spare battery, clips, and a headband or two. If i start going out in the boat more often, i will put a set of lights that i plan on boating with. When i have a job that will require extensive light, i try to get all the bases covered with light types i think i'll need with spare batteries and stick them in a bag, but it isn't a dedicated one.

Around the house, I've been actually doing the opposite as you by spreading my lights out over the house to make sure i have a quick light to grab to augment my EDC (which, when home is more than one to begin with).
Oh I have lights around the house too, to set up this case like I want will involve buying all the lights listed in the second section lol. I usually try to have the lights I will need for the job but for the most part my flashlight collection is small and not well versed or what I do. My intentions with this case are to have lights that will fill my most common needs along with supporting accessories in a common place so I can grab it and go.

Yes I am about to use it now for a 12 mile night run. Will post a pic later as moble. Just a Fenix HL50, 4/7 mini NW 1XAA and extra LSD NiMH in a small Lowepro hard case.
Sounds like a nice little set up.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a grab and go bag of tent pegs, with a small hammer, a utility knife, folding saw, and various lengths of para-cord, and cotton lines for setting tarp shelters. But no, I don't have one for flashlights, nor do I plan to put one together.

I do however have a grab and go freshwater tackle box, and a grab and go salt water tackle box.

I have a grab and almost go plumbing box, it isn't complete enough to get me through ANY situation, but depending upon the job, I might have to add some additional tools.

I don't have a grab and go carpentry bag. Depending upon the job, the tools needed could vary too much. Therefore, I do have a 5 gallon spackle bucket to setup with tools that I might anticipate being needed, beyond those that would hang on my tool belt.

I have an auto emergency repair kit/tools in the trunk of my car.

A first aid kit in my car that includes blood-clot, and multiple standard and Mylar emergency blankets, and triangular bandages for slings/splints/etc. It also has a couple of flashlights, including one 2D cell with a road traffic control RED diffuser.

I don't need lights for work, so if I need to grab a light or two or three, for any particular purpose, I'd select them and go.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Sounds like a nice little set up.

Thanks. It worked well. Just got in. Did a total of 13.16 miles of night backpack running. For the first time ever I changed a battery on the run.... I mean literally when running at night using the small kit. One pro to single battery lights and headlamps. I am beat from the run so will post some pics of the little kit ASAP. One pro of having a throw in the bag flashlight kit is the knowledge that there will be a backup battery etc available. It was an active night on the trails. Seen bats, flying squirrel, possum and Does. Oh and a fox as well.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It worked well. Just got in. Did a total of 13.16 miles of night backpack running. For the first time ever I changed a battery on the run.... I mean literally when running at night using the small kit. One pro to single battery lights and headlamps. I am beat from the run so will post some pics of the little kit ASAP. One pro of having a throw in the bag flashlight kit is the knowledge that there will be a backup battery etc available. It was an active night on the trails. Seen bats, flying squirrel, possum and Does. Oh and a fox as well.
Glad it worked for ya! This is exactly why I want a dedicated light case. I always seem to end up without what I need when I need it. I either don't have my charger, burn through the spare batteries in my edc bag, need additional lights for the task at hand, etc. Having a grab-and-go case will assure I have what I need when I need it.

pblanch

Enlightened
I just have a go back that has 3 days supply's worth of gear.

The US department FEMA and my own Govt (Aust) recommend in the home 3 days worth of water and food so.

I have 3 18650's so am confident I will have at least 3 nights worth of lights. That's no including my multiple cr123s (which I use for other things as well) and AA/AAA's. If I think I need more power I would bring extra's.

Anything more required I would have my car so would be free to carry a lot more.

There is a great thread with some enviable setups http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mens-How-many-batteries-(for-lights-and-more) may be worth checking out for you.

scout24

Flashaholic
I don't have a dedicated case just for lights, but do travel with a Maxpedition Remora with some essentials inside. Some spare primary 123's and a redundant edc light are included. If I know I'm going to be out well after dark, and anticipate needing a flamethrower, I'll add an 18650 Hound Dog or a Nailbender'ed SF C2 and a couple 18650 cells.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have my edc backpack which includes 4 lights, plenty of extra batteries, and a Leatherman surge with bit kit. It also includes my laptop and a granola bar or two. You can tell it's not really for extended disasters but will make it easy to grab some favorite lights and my computer in a rush, and things can be added in a hurry if I need to grab more food or something.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just have my edc backpack which includes 4 lights, plenty of extra batteries, and a Leatherman surge with bit kit. It also includes my laptop and a granola bar or two. You can tell it's not really for extended disasters but will make it easy to grab some favorite lights and my computer in a rush, and things can be added in a hurry if I need to grab more food or something.

I try to have a backpack like this, but the situations I use it for vary so much that I'm always packing/unpacking. In that process, I'm often left with missing gear I forgot to replace. I'm trying to get it organized, but failing to do so. To complicate things further, sitting in a car all day in the summer isn't good for some items (food, water, rechargeable batteries, etc). Not sure what the solution is. Maybe a dedicated flashlight/battery case?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Plastic grocery bag with items inside bubble wrap bags works for me during warm weather.
The total package conforms to limited spaces as necessary in my crowded 'office on wheels' work truck complete with printer/scanner, file boxes, a library of manuals, plan rack, tools for work like 4' levels, measuring wheel(s), 300' tape measure, survey gear, spare cloths, rain gear and a plethora of other items all inside the cab. So my grab bag sits in a small groove between stuff on the passenger seat and center console to grab at an instant.

My job requires that I stay pretty self sufficient, ready for action at a moments notice in any kind of weather. Sometimes it involves visiting multiple projects an hour or two apart on the same day. Sometimes things go wrong and it leads to night work too.

Ahhh, the joys of being a consultant.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like for the most part we all have the same general setup right now, an EDC bag with our daily essentials which include extra lights and a few batteries and maybe a larger light if we know we will need it. This has been working for me but recently I have been finding to not have the light I need or plans change and I'm out later than expected, etc etc. Hopefully I can work on getting my bag/case set up this weekend.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have various lights scattered in crevices and pockets throughout my truck. Cells removed for longevity. Specific purpose lights that remain in the vehicle 99.99% of the time like mega throwers, intrinsictly (sp?) safe, and a mini mag LED in all 4 corners of the cab.

Messy, but I scotch tape the batteries to the light for quick retrieval when need be.

I have some rechargeable cells in their as well but for the typical emergency/ all else failed scenario prefer having primaries of less than a year old for use.
Typically around July 4th is when batteries get rotated since it's usually June or later when night work occurs.
I swap cells in survey equipment, digital levels, and other gadgets too.
And there is a 2 outlet 400 watt invertor plugged to a 12 volt port and a 4 outlet 1000 watt one tapped into the battery leads.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to have a backpack like this, but the situations I use it for vary so much that I'm always packing/unpacking. In that process, I'm often left with missing gear I forgot to replace. I'm trying to get it organized, but failing to do so. To complicate things further, sitting in a car all day in the summer isn't good for some items (food, water, rechargeable batteries, etc). Not sure what the solution is. Maybe a dedicated flashlight/battery case?

Yeah that's tough. Luckily I just carry the bag with me into the lab during the day so it's climate controlled. Maybe you can have a couple lights that just use lithium primaries so they can handle the temperature extremes better?

PartyPete

Enlightened
Yeah I have a bag in my car for emergencies, next to the tools of course.

Lots of stuff inside but as far as a light, a have a Fenix E25 inside loaded with 2 Energizer lithiums as well as a spare set.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep everything in this bag... It fit 4-5 big flashlights... It keep the battery cool in the summer...

ven

Flashaholic
I dont really have anything practical, if I am going camping or taking some lights out for walking/fun then i pack this

Not left full of lights though, i tend to have some placed for use anyway so if i rush out i have some on my car for example.

Callum is more organised than me! he has a smaller bag(camera bag) full of smaller lights to take.

ZippoThisKnifeThat

Newly Enlightened
I like this idea!

I make it a habit to have a light accessible at home, in the car, and of course on my person, but it would be a step up to have a charger + extra batteries at the ready.

Between guns, knives, flashlights, watches, packs, etc. etc. what's another prep project? lol