Suggestions, please, for what to do with a 2xD Incan. Maggie.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
I imagine this question gets asked a lot, so if there is a good thread about it, please post the link for me. Otherwise, if you have some ideas, please elaborate.

I have been thinking about a Malkoff mod, but considering the cost, and the price of new complete flashlights, I don't know whether to mod or keep it stock for a collectable. I'd like to keep it all "made in USA", whatever I do.

If modded, I would like a high lumen flood fueled with rechargeables that would give me a good run time at high lumen output.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have to run 2 IMR 26650 cells no matter which way you go.

You can get those LED drop-in via his website too.
http://asflashlights.com/20-maglite

If you truly want to stay incandescent you can solder in the Fivemega G6.35 bi-pin kit or get the drop-in G4 kit from Tadcustoms, but you will be limited to the 20watt bulb Tad includes with the sale.

http://tadcustoms.com/maglite-2C-2D-G4-bi-pin-drop-in-socket.htm

I tried 4~5 bulbs with TadCustoms drop-in kit but only the 20watt TAD bulb proved to be worth having and he includes it with his kit.

-bigC

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggestions, please, for what to do with a 2xD Incan. Maggie.

If modded, I would like a high lumen flood fueled with rechargeables that would give me a good run time at high lumen output.

Use a pair of Keeppower 26650 (5200mAh) and replace the bulb with 6 cell M*g bulb.
There are many brighter possible options but will cost more.
Please check
here.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
In that case, you will get better recommendation in LED subforum.
You can ask moderator to move this thread to proper section.

Yeah, well, I thought that I had put it in the proper forum to begin with, and then as you can see, it was moved here. It seems the moderators move threads where they want them, not where the OP wants them, so...who knows where this thread will end up? :rolleyes:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
...or would you be open to lower lumen (30 Lumens) unreal run times (hundreds of hours)?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going Malkoff does not have to be expensive with his lower output drop ins. His 700+ OTF lumen drop in is 90 bucks though. There are 1000 ways to mod a D Mag. From Malkoff to the Roar of the Pelican mod to the customs that Adventure Sport sells the possibilities are endless. All that being said the new 3rd Gen XML2 2 and 3 D Mags are flat out amazing. Designed to run at optimum on alkalines to boot. All I did with my 3rd gens was put glare coated optical quality glass in them. My local wally world has the 3 D for less than 50 bucks. D Mags are not exactly what most people nowadays would consider "flooders" but D Mags with their huge reflectors put out an utterly massive diameter beam profile with plenty of spill. I actually prefer the new 2 D. Only 524 lumens but it just balances in my hand better and is more than bright enough and throws well above average.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
...or would you be open to lower lumen (30 Lumens) unreal run times (hundreds of hours)?

Well, cost will enter into everything, as I'm thinking it might be cheaper just to buy something new off the shelf that would accomplish the same thing for a comparable price or less than some mods, I think. In other words, I don't want to spend a lot of money modding the light to standards that can be purchased new off the shelf for the same amount or less. If the Maggie host can save me some money getting to my goals, I'll be interested in modding it, otherwise I'd just as soon buy something new. Let me 'splain what I'm looking for and why.

I have a house on 5 Acres, and while I have a SF P3X Tactical, (1000 lumens) it won't give 1000 lumens for long, and I use SFCR123A primary batteries, which can get expensive running. So, what I'm looking for is a floody light that can give 1000 lumens or more with a long run time ( I'd say one hour minimum) with rechargeable batteries, kind of along the idea of a night watchman's patrol flashlight.
I want the ability to light up large areas of the property so I can do quick security checks. A low, medium and high light levels would be nice, but I have other lights that can do lower light levels, so a single mode would be fine.

I like the idea of that 5000 lumen conversion, but I didn't see any mention of run-time, so...IDK if it would be cost effective vs something new off the shelf--I'm not really up on all that is available, and remember, I want to stay with USA products. :confused: :help:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a $4 rayovac LED drop in from walmart and some AA to D adapters so that I have the oprtion of running Eneloops is all I did to "mod" my old 2D Mag (if you can call that a mod?). Only 30 lumens but it will run near forever and it still throws real well and even 30 lumens is a big improvement from the old 19 lumen krypton PR bulbs.

For something more like you are looking for on a budget and made in the USA, I would suggest the Maglite 3C ML50 (about $33 at home depot or walmart) or the 3D ML300 (around $40) - not 1000 lumens (more like 600) with good throw and a quickly focusable beam. These have 3 modes + strobe arranged in 4 user programmable function sets. Both outstanding lights for the money!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
high output with NiMH cells. Okay cheapest method would be 2 AA to D cell adapters from I believe Kai Domain, Duracell Ion Core AA NiMH's(they are actually very good)but the X factor here is how much output do you want? Ebay sells tons of basic drop in replacement LED's for incan D Mags they are actually pretty decent most are XPG2 there are a couple XML and XML2 drop ins that take your incan output light from 80 lumens to 200+ best of all is they are usually like 20-25 bucks. They come from a Mag specialty store in the UK I believe I have had every drop in they make for D mags. Very easy and cheap for more than doubling output.

Wal mart sells one or two LED drop ins of mysterious and suspicious origins I just know that the one with the small emitter is far brighter than the one with the big emitter. Just looked in my parts drawer still have them both lol. I have 25+ D Mags modded in one way or another from just changing the lens to good glass to ROP mods. Lots of Mini Mags as well all modded. Now that I have all 3 Malkoff drop ins set up as proper as possible and 2 Adventure Sport drop ins nothing has really come along to get my Mag lust going again.

Lets see the 325 OTF lumen XPG2 Malkoff drop in is I believe only 30 bucks now. It may be "only" 325 lumens but the beam is amazing and throws in a way only a good XPG2 can. The Malkoff drop ins are the highest quality Mag drop ins I know of. They meet or beat specs, are built like a brick house and have so much heat sinking they never get hot or even warm.

One word of advice that I have learned over the years I spent going Mag crazy. Get an orange peel reflector for the light. Just do it. It takes care of most of if not all the inherent nasty artifacts in the beam out the smooth stock reflector these can also be had at Kai Domain you are looking for 54/55mm wide aluminum reflectors with stems that can screw off as many upgrades require that. I checked out Kai Domain the other day and wow they are selling far nicer aluminum reflectors now than when I bought mine a couple years ago and they are only 20 bucks I think.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a 2D incan mag too. Nice pewter color. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to do this with the Adventure Sport dropin.

$129 for dropin
$10.94 for 2x26650 battery adapter
$25 for two 26650 cells

Practical answer, no. Answer I want to hear, yes!

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
high output with NiMH cells. Okay cheapest method would be 2 AA to D cell adapters from I believe Kai Domain, Duracell Ion Core AA NiMH's(they are actually very good)but the X factor here is how much output do you want? Ebay sells tons of basic drop in replacement LED's for incan D Mags they are actually pretty decent most are XPG2 there are a couple XML and XML2 drop ins that take your incan output light from 80 lumens to 200+ best of all is they are usually like 20-25 bucks. They come from a Mag specialty store in the UK I believe I have had every drop in they make for D mags. Very easy and cheap for more than doubling output.

Wal mart sells one or two LED drop ins of mysterious and suspicious origins I just know that the one with the small emitter is far brighter than the one with the big emitter. Just looked in my parts drawer still have them both lol. I have 25+ D Mags modded in one way or another from just changing the lens to good glass to ROP mods. Lots of Mini Mags as well all modded. Now that I have all 3 Malkoff drop ins set up as proper as possible and 2 Adventure Sport drop ins nothing has really come along to get my Mag lust going again.

Lets see the 325 OTF lumen XPG2 Malkoff drop in is I believe only 30 bucks now. It may be "only" 325 lumens but the beam is amazing and throws in a way only a good XPG2 can. The Malkoff drop ins are the highest quality Mag drop ins I know of. They meet or beat specs, are built like a brick house and have so much heat sinking they never get hot or even warm.

One word of advice that I have learned over the years I spent going Mag crazy. Get an orange peel reflector for the light. Just do it. It takes care of most of if not all the inherent nasty artifacts in the beam out the smooth stock reflector these can also be had at Kai Domain you are looking for 54/55mm wide aluminum reflectors with stems that can screw off as many upgrades require that. I checked out Kai Domain the other day and wow they are selling far nicer aluminum reflectors now than when I bought mine a couple years ago and they are only 20 bucks I think.

Where can I get the Malkoff drop in for $30?! Right now they are on sale on his web site for $39.99, plus I assume that there is shipping in addition to that. https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/maglite-drop-ins-and-accessories

ven

Flashaholic
I have a 2D incan mag too. Nice pewter color. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to do this with the Adventure Sport dropin.

$129 for dropin
$10.94 for 2x26650 battery adapter
$25 for two 26650 cells

Practical answer, no. Answer I want to hear, yes!

YES!!! Very much so, in fact I have been pondering a mag for one of the drop ins!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The $39 malkoff is a deal.
It's a gem. But it's a camless set up so you'd need to get his pre-cut reflector or cut yours.

Before/after pic.
Not hard to do with a dremel, or inexpensive pipe cutter.
Best part is you can still use what ever batteries you want and keep your stock lens if you want to.

You end up with a whopping spill and the max Mag spot beam at the same time. Twisting the head allows some tweak of the spot wider or narrower without changing the spill.

It's way more solid built than store bought drop in thingys and gives off lots of good light. At first turn on it's a bit odd when you're used to the Mag beam way. But after a few minutes in darkness you quickly understand Gene Malkoff built a really nice product.
Makes your dull 2D into a great spotlight without spending a lot of dough.

Last edited: