X200 modified for non-tactical service

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The X200 is just too cool of a package to be limited to those who need a great light on their hand gun! The optic in the stock head provides an amazing tight and bright beam; similar to the beam from the new Pelican M8 recoil but with more fill around the spot. I prefer more flood in addition to a hot and tight focused beam and I found that I could modify a PR-T head to screw onto the X200 in place of the stock head. They can be switched back and forth as I left the LED module in tact. The engineering in the X200 is just a pleasure to behold!

In addition to the PR-T head on the front end, I found that a very simple and quick mod to the rear switch PCB allowed for converting the dual "redundant" switches to serve for selection of a low level as well as the regulated high level of output. The beam and output of this modified light is now the same that I have with the L1's that I have modified to 2x123 with Low/High.

side.jpg

For more info and pics, CLICK HERE

This is going to be a fun light to make various mounting systems for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would rather sew a length of 1" webbing on the bill of the cap and clip the light to it so there is no way it would fall off. The clip is reversable though........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Don...

Really nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I`ll take one too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
That's a pretty good job you did there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In your detailed description you write that for a floodlike beam the reflector has to be taken out, is there any replacement for the reflector or is the LS itself enough to produce the floodish beam?

klaus.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH HOLY CRAP! I can't even get my grubby paws on one of these yet and you've already made improvements. Do you sleep?!

Seriously though, you are amazing.

jtice

Flashaholic
K-T,

You could replace it with a Bead Blasted PR reflector.
But just the emitter itself does a pretty good job, very smooth flood.

Awsome work Don. Looks like a really neat useful light.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
K-T,

What jtice said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif With the lambertian LED's the radiation pattern of raw light is ideal for a flood. There is measurable light loss without a reflector to re direct the light hitting the inside of the head but the light that does get out is in a great and even density and is more than ample for in close work. Even on the very low level, the flood is plenty for reading or other work cloe at hand.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Wow! I have a simple/easy/silly question (since very few people seem to have an X200 at the moment).

Can you easily remove the gun mounting hardware so that you can use the light normally? Say for EDC purposes without mounting gear? I did a search on CPF, but came up with nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Many thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don's mods are fantastic!

Prolepsis,

It's easier to hold with the rails and latch in place.
I'm not surprised your search came up blank.

Al

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi Al:

Thanks for the answer. I've put myself on the pre-order list with Tactical Warehouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don,

Will you be doing these mods if we send you our x200's?

Pic of the X200 and L4 that Al posted elsewhere:
x200-04.jpg

Brightnorm

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question, Don: You know about my experience with dunking the first version PR head; this head looks like it has a longer bezel ring, have you changed the seal design?
That far behind i believe the PR head has thick enough wall that you can put an oring groove back there.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
AilSnail,

I actually reduced the bezel overlap on the head so the build now consists of one O-ring behind the lens and no O-ring in front of it. The PR-T head shown above on the X200 was considerably modified from the rear to fit. I would take and show pictures but since the X200 is so new, in defference to SF, I'll let the competition do their own look see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BN,

I don't know what I will do in terms of further mods of the X200. If there were enough interest, the smart answer would be to get some special PR-T heads run and just sell thim for DIY. After heating the X200 to 175F, I was able to take the head off the body without any effort to speak of. At that point, a properly machined PR-T head could just go right back on with no need for further modification. The tail switch mod for dual level output is also pretty straight forward. This was a fun and painless mod. One way or another, I suspect that I will be doing some more of these when I get back from Maui.

ROYALTO

Newly Enlightened
Excellent mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have one question: once modified will it still accept and work like an unmodded X200 with a pressure switch thats designed to fit on a pistol grip for momentary use?

If not then I might have to buy two when they become available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif