Father's gift. (Christmas)

honk

Newly Enlightened
Came to this forum to see if I can get some help, Christmas in not far away now, when you think how slow the shipping can be overseas.:wave:
I'm trying to find a flashlight/torch for my father's gift and think it's a jungle out there with all those flashlights.

I did found this and I like the size with the lumens strength.
Ultrafire 5000Lumen CREE T6 LED Rechargeable Flashlight Torch Super Bright Light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrafire-5...hlight-Torch-Super-Bright-Light-/311676809170

Maybe some of you can advice me a little bit and tell what's better out there in that size with maybe more lumens, better quality and higher pricetag .?

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
What will he use it for? Looking at stuff pretty close-up, spotting something several hundred meters away, or just a general purpose flashlight?

Elf15

Newly Enlightened
Are there any mobility issues such as hand strength concerns, weight of the item causing fatigue, grip such as too slippery or too hard to twist on/off?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Please be sure that whoever you're buying for is well-versed in the safety and handling procedures of li-ion batteries if you decide to go that route, as they can explode if improperly charged/used. If your recipient is not a battery hobbyist, better to stick to more common and safer NiMH/Alkaline/123 -powered lights and cells.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Came to this forum to see if I can get some help, Christmas in not far away now, when you think how slow the shipping can be overseas.:wave:
I'm trying to find a flashlight/torch for my father's gift and think it's a jungle out there with all those flashlights.

I did found this and I like the size with the lumens strength.
Ultrafire 5000Lumen CREE T6 LED Rechargeable Flashlight Torch Super Bright Light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrafire-5...hlight-Torch-Super-Bright-Light-/311676809170

Maybe some of you can advice me a little bit and tell what's better out there in that size with maybe more lumens, better quality and higher pricetag .?

5000 lumens from a double a? $2.94?

Ok, here's the deal.... the only flashlight with the word fire in it that is any good is sure fire.
A double a battery sized flashlight cannot even put out 500 lumens, much less 5000.
A $2.94 flashlight is just that.

Not trying to sound harsh at all. Just trying to save you from buying a junky flashlight that may even be dangerous.

Go to the budget light forum and read some of those. A lot of folks like Convoy products.

Koam

Newly Enlightened
5000 lumens from a double a? $2.94?

Ok, here's the deal.... the only flashlight with the word fire in it that is any good is sure fire.
A double a battery sized flashlight cannot even put out 500 lumens, much less 5000.
A $2.94 flashlight is just that.

Not trying to sound harsh at all. Just trying to save you from buying a junky flashlight that may even be dangerous.

Go to the budget light forum and read some of those. A lot of folks like Convoy products.

Doesn't the Zebralight SC5/SC5w put out 500 lumens on one AA?

ven

Flashaholic
You mentioned that word.............Christmas! :rant: ;)Have a look at maybe the lumintop tool, thrunite TiS or Ti for some useful AAA light, AA wise thrunite do a nice T10 . All well priced and all decent lights for the money with genuine LED's(possibly unknown with cheap ****fire cr4p) and will last.:)

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened

I am pretty sure you came to the right place. I imagine the light you quoted would come off worst on all but price and even then not by a lot.

I have also been thinking along these lines for some family members. I recently got the Olight S1 baton which uses CR123 batteries. However for general flashlights for people who only think about them when they need them AA/AAA is a much nicer form factor. Those batteries are more likely to be around in emergencies, people know how to use them, they are cheap.

I am quite interested to see peoples recommendations! I am quite new to this myself, having only researched using amazon the last 2 years where the best tortch is still the LED lenser variety. My S1 is tiny and puts out more light.