Looking to replace/upgrade lights

mheemeyer

Newly Enlightened
I have been a loyal NovaTac light user for years, only to find out when it comes time to replace some lights, they are no longer. I recently bought two new lights, but have a few cons with them.

First one is a NiteCore SRT7. Great light, great light options BUT there are just too many. I do not need a flashing red/blue option and two different strobe settings. I am not a police car nor will I be clearing traffic. The other con to this light is the flared head at the end. Great throw, but finding a lens-down open top holster option has not crossed my Google-Fu.

Second light is a NiteCore SRT5. Again, great light, but just too many options on the light. At least this one is easy to find a lens-down holster for.

So my dream light; CR123x2, adjustable or stepped white light AND a built-in red light option. I would also like to find a CR123x1 version as well.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SRT5 does have a red secondary LED. Its pretty weak though. I have found the SRT6 to be the best of the series. No BS police strobe, no BS under powered unfocused secondary LEDs. You get a very good strobe, the variable magnetic ring control over main output and SOS. It is the least complicated SRT. It also does not have the wide reflector of the SRT7 and is easy to find a holster for. The 930 lumen output rating is BS though. On an 18650 you are getting roughly 780 OTF. On 2xCR123/2xRCR123/2x18350 sources you get a 100 lumen increase.

The low voltage LED/sensor on the head of the SRT6 was poorly designed though. Try putting two fresh 3v CR123 cells in the light and the voltage sensor only reads it as 3 volts and the light in the head starts flashing like crazy. Stepping up into the other sources I listed that charge to 4.2v per cell takes care of that.

Unfortunately I do not know of any light currently that has variable ring control and a GOOD secondary red LED. Check out the new Fenix TK32 for what good secondary red(and green)LED's look like they are literally 5 times brighter than the red LED's in the SRT's and are actually focused.

mheemeyer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Celtic for the reply.

I had not seen the Fenix TK32 before. I like how it has the separate mode selector switch on the rear. I am not 100% sold on the NiteCore selector ring and the TK32 has a does not look as cumbersome to manipulate. The only downside I am seeing to the TK32 is the large 2" flaring head on it. Do you know if any manufacturers make a bezel-down holster (preferably kydex) for it?