Turning Your Favourite EDC light into a headlamp

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics. I've been a lurker on here for over eight years, and apart from an odd comment or two, I've never really felt suitably intelligent enough to contribute much, but I hope to make amends with this thread if it all posts up okay.

I'm a fisherman and a boatman amongst other things (which include Chief of the Chicken House, Master Hole-Digger and Head Chainsaw Operator), all of which means I have lived for years in the company of headlamps. I like headlamps, and I've had some very good ones over the years, a couple of them quite expensive. But, since joining this site a few years ago I haven't bought much to wear on my head beyond the Petzl family, and things may have stayed that way forever except for one thing, which is that I bought a ZebraLight SC52w in 2013. This is mainly thanks to SelfBuilt, who is also to blame for some other lights I now own such as the Sunwayman D-40 and a recently arrived L3 Illuminations L10. I also have a DEFT for signalling Mars and a Photon Freedom I've worn around my neck for the past 20 odd years or so (excellent for boats and other strange places at night). I also have a boxful of rejects - the old, the bad and the ugly. I like flashlights and could easily become really addicted but then my wife would divorce me and the kids would cry, etc etc etc.

But back to the SC52. Damn, that thing was different. For the first time in my life I had an AA light in my hand that could give all of the headlamps I owned a good run for their money. And what fun to stick a spare AA in your pocket and know you had the night covered. I just had to find a way to stick my 52w on my head. I know, I could have bought an H52 of some sort, but why would I do that when I had a decent light in the first place?

So, I set my mind to a solution, and finally figured something out which I have now used for 18 months without any problems whatsoever. It's a cheap, tacky solution, but a highly effective one, and an answer to a riddle that now lets me put almost any 1xAA, 2xAA, 1xCR123 or 2xCR123 on my head in an instant. I don't own a 1x18650 or 2x18650 light but this may work for them too. Anyway, I figured after all the good things I've had out of this site that I might as well put something back in, and hopefully my solution will help someone out there who dislikes standard headlamps and their limitations. So here goes.

To make all of this possible,, you need a couple of things, and chances are you will have them lying about the house. First, you need a baseball cap (or any other hat with a brim), and whether it's new or worn-in and comfortable, it doesn't matter; all you need to know is it's going to become your 'go-to' night-time wear (though you may wear it all day too, like I do). You also need an old inner-tube from a bike (or a new one, they're cheap enough), plus a drill with a 3/8 bit, a pair of scissors, a craft-knife and some superglue (though the glue is optional). You're going to make something now that means you can wear a hat all day and then at night turn it into a headlamp with the small torch you carry in your pocket - most likely your EDC.

Take the inner-tube and cut off a 12" section with the scissors. With the craft-knife then cut out two strips about 12" long, 3/4"" wide. Thin out the two ends and shape the central parts so they look like the picture below. You may have something else just as suitably elastic as an inner-tube, so go-ahead and try that too. In a pinch I guess a #64 rubber-band would work as well, even if the shelf life is not anyway near as good as a piece or two of inner tube. My two pieces of inner-tube are still going strong after 18 months of fairly rough, 24/7 treatment and haven't needed replacing yet.

IMG_0351_zps6xcq3pdr.jpg

Now take your hat and your drill, and make four holes in the brim of your hat. You need the holes to be at least as far apart as the width of the torch you plan to use with your hat, but they can also be wider since this is a very adaptive construction. The photo below shows four positions where I could drill, marked in white. The wider apart the holes the easier it is to insert a flashlight - you'll see what I mean.

IMG_0348%20copy_zpsy1rvytne.png

Take the pieces of inner tube and feed a 'leg' into each hole. Pull each piece tight down flat, and then tie an overhand 'granny' knot underneath the brim as per this photo. You can see instantly where this is going now, right? (obviously if you are putting a fat torch on your head then don't make the elastic too tight, though to be fair the inner tube grips well to almost anything. I have never had a torch fall off the hat, no matter what I was doing and I use this system as an additional light for biking too)

IMG_0353_zpsrdj5igux.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsima6oaya.jpg

Pull the knots really tight (and this is where you may want to add some glue to keep them tight (though I never have) and trim the page ends as close as you want. It's as simple a thing to make as a paper-plane. I've made a couple of these hats and with a dark brim you don't even notice the knots. You see that without a torch the elastics lay unobtrusively flat, as well

Now you have a hat to wear all day, and then wear all night with a torch of your choice attached to it......

IMG_0354_zps2kumr7cq.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsafxqaljx.jpg

I can fit and wear all of my small lights (and a couple of other torches I have) with great glee and ease. If I was a proper flashaholic, like some of you are, then I'd probably be able to fit a whole bunch of other lights too! It should be noted at this point that if you want one-handed operation then the hat is best used with a tail-clicky light or one with a side-clicky, rather than a head-twisty - you know what I mean….:) I do like my hat with the L10 in it, for example, but it's a struggle to go through the modes unless you take it off - which is not a difficult thing to do, for sure. In fact it's very easy, but given a chance I'll stick my SC52w on board, or a much maligned Proton Pro as pictured - both of these torches have a simple side-switch operation and for fishing purposes, the Proton is actually my first choice on the hat as I like to use the red LED for night vision purposes; the SC52 goes in my pocket. As for beam direction, in use you will find you can adjust the hat on your head to get the precise angle of beam you need. In case you were wondering, the SC52 is in the mail, I left it at a friend's house last week, a rather long way away.... sigh

You find at first that your hat may be tight to fit the torch into - this will change as time passes. You may even find yourself leaving your torch of choice in the hat, hung up on a peg as it becomes your full-time headlamp. But whatever you do you should find your torch sticks like glue to your hat and your hat stays comfortably on your head. No matter what though, you should now be able to wear your favourite torch as a headlamp, no matter what, and be able to rip it out of its elastic embrace in an instant should you want your torch in your hand. When necessary I wear my hat with a retainer clip so if it comes off it still stays attached to me; handy when you are by water, for example.

Most of you will no doubt not have read this far, and I would guess that most of those that have will be shaking their head in gloom. Hopefully though a couple of you will like this idea enough to try it and like it. That's all I'm aiming for. I love being able to stick almost any small torch on my hat, to use as a headlamp when no equivalent exists. It's also so much nicer to have something comfortable on your head at night instead of some contraption with straps that needs constant adjustment, or has a battery pack attached somewhere else on your body or at the back of your head. These sort of headlamps take up precious space in your backpack, too, and in some cases it may even mean you need to carry different batteries. Last but not least, a standard headlamp is sometimes a pain to wear on top of a hat if you want to wear one anyway.

Anyhow, whatever and however you look at this post, I hope it's not bored you and I hope it serves someone, somewhere, with a purpose. I have a couple of other ideas I've developed over the years which I may post up another time too. Sometimes it's a curse being a tinkerer, but I love solving problems.

I also know without doubt that the basic idea of my amateur construction will be bettered and improved here by some genius, and I look forward to seeing that. Have at it!

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inner tubes really are a nice idea. Durable, grippy, readily available. I bet with the right kind of knot a person could even make a headband to carry a light (not to take from this hat-based design at all).

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
I bought a small AAA flashlight and needed a way to turn it into a headlamp. After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that I had a "hands free clip" that came with the Photon Freedom keychain light I bought many years ago. It's basically a clip that can be used to attach the Photon to the brim of a baseball cap. The clip is connected to the light by a ball and socket joint that allows the user to swivel the light where you need it. The AAA flashlight had a pocketclip that simply clipped onto the "hands free clip".

MX421

Enlightened
Interesting idea. for under $10 you can get a nitecore headband that the small lights can fit in. Won't center it like your idea, but it holds regular lights on the side, or a headlamp in the middle. I also got a SC52 after reading selfbuilt's review...lol. Lliked it so much that i now i have multiple Zebralights. Great little lights.

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
I had one of those Nightcore bands - to be honest, I thought it would be a great idea but yet again it wa something I couldn't get along with for long periods of time, and if you were wearing a hat it was a pain. IMO I think that actually putting a light on a comfortable hat is simply the nicest way to have some light at night. You really do not know it is there -there's no constricting pressure from any strap of any sort.

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
Is that the clip that comes with the Photon? I've a bunch of those from the Photons I've had over the years. I must admit I am not a fan of them on a hat. They work really well clipped to something else that's stationary, but whenever I have used them (with just the light weight of a micro-light) it's been a bit like having a large spider on the brim of my hat, one holding a small light and with the ability to turn at will with a footstep, or sweep out to one side when knocked :huh: The design and idea is great, but I can't even imagine using one of those for any strenuous activity like biking or running. I certainly wouldn't trust one near water with my SC52W on it..... very happy it works for you though :thumbsup:

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
For something that didn't take me any effort to come up with I've set my expectations very low. I don't expect to have it stay put while riding a bike, or while running because it definitely won't be able to do that. All I expect is something that is better than holding the light with my teeth when I'm working on something.

If I do have more demanding requirements I'd just fork out the cash and buy a headlamp (probably a Zebralight or the Fenix HL10). Thankfully for my bank account I don't have such needs... yet.

MX421

Enlightened
I had one of those Nightcore bands - to be honest, I thought it would be a great idea but yet again it wa something I couldn't get along with for long periods of time, and if you were wearing a hat it was a pain. IMO I think that actually putting a light on a comfortable hat is simply the nicest way to have some light at night. You really do not know it is there -there's no constricting pressure from any strap of any sort.

Ahh, i see, always have a hat around then? If you have a hat, the another thing is to stick one of the silicone headbands and put it on the straps in the back if you have a headlamp. Then you flip the hat around and use when you need it. Still, your idea is pretty cool as well for using regular lights.

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
Or, buy a light with a clip in the correct location. Hugsby P31, clip directly to hat. No need for all this song and dance.

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, i see, always have a hat around then? If you have a hat, the another thing is to stick one of the silicone headbands and put it on the straps in the back if you have a headlamp. Then you flip the hat around and use when you need it. Still, your idea is pretty cool as well for using regular lights.

Yes, I always have a hat on. For not only am I hirsutely challenged, but I work in places where sharp objects nobble me frequently on the noggin. I can't quite picture your set-up with a silicone band? Have you got a photo?

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
Or, buy a light with a clip in the correct location. Hugsby P31, clip directly to hat. No need for all this song and dance.

Ah. You're lucky I did not post a video of me singing and dancing. The mods would have banned me for life. And while your suggestion of a Heffalump P31 might be a good one, it doesn't solve the problem I have of wanting to put my SC52W (or any other light I might own) on my head at night. I assume then that your suggestion also might not help many other people if they do not own a Heffalump P31. :p

But then, your suggestion fails in another way, for if looked at in a cost-effective manner, then stealing your childs' inner-tube from their bike and making four holes in an old hat with a sharp object and fitting your own light is both far quicker and far cheaper than opening the laptop, ordering a P31 from an obscure Chinese website and then waiting 16 months for it to arrive.

(seriously, I hadn't thought of reversing a clip to wear on a hat - that's a fine idea! But then the reason for that is the first thing i do with every light is take off the clip and throw it away. I hate them. I want my torches to stay in the deepest recesses of my pockets, not linger close to the temptation of a little freefall or kleptomania :) )

cclin

Newly Enlightened
:naughty:I've an easier way! This Adjustable Elastic Head Band will convert any 3 your favorite small lights into head lamp & it only cost a few bucks!
1469687250614871.jpg

Last edited:

SaliesDB

Newly Enlightened
That's a lovely looking head-band, cclin, though it looks similar to the NiteCore one which has been discussed already, and which I think for me, at least, has limitations. Especially if I want to wear a hat :p

And again, it's something you have to buy. I like making stuff, I guess. Especially when I have all the bits lying around the house :) And strangely, a boating friend told me this morning how he saved one of 'my' hats with a light last week when it fell off his head out fishing - as the torch didn't sink like a stone he was able to grab the hat, and therefore the torch, as it slowly went down. Now that was something I hadn't thought of - slow sink rates!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for that very well written how to.

Got kids? Then you more than likely have a busted inner tube laying around. And that sweaty old grass cutting hat your wife tries to talk you into throwing away...

What I like about this idea is the smaller and brighter lights become the more this 'universal' idea will be useful.

Now; can you go invent something we can add to our old tennis shoes the wife wants us to toss?

Last edited: