Rofis TR20 (XP-L HI, 1x 18650, Rechargeable) Adjustable-head Flashlight Review

kj2

Flashaholic
In this review, I take a look at the Rofis TR20. Some may have heard from Rofis, but it's a relativity unknown brand in the flashlight market. But unknown doesn't mean that it's bad.
It was my first take on a Rofis light also. Did know the brand but never saw or handled one before. The TR20 looks like a standard flashlight like any other, but it has a adjustable-head which gives
you the option to make it an angled flashlight. Kinda cool if you ask me :)

The TR20 uses a Cree XP-L HI led which has a max of 1100 lumens. Combined with the smooth reflector, it has quite some throw. Besides the adjustable-head, it also features a micro-USB port for charging.
At the back of the light, you'll find a removable magnet for heads-free operation.

34odhqu.jpg

k1wepu.jpg

The packaging:

The Rofis TR20 comes in a colored cardboard box, with specifications and highlight printed on.

Inside the box you'll find; the TR20, included Rofis 3400mAh 18650 battery, Magnet tail, Pocket clip, Holster, Lanyard, 2x o-ring, spare USB-port cover, USB charging cable, manual and warranty card.

24q63w3.jpg
xanxj8.jpg

2cx7wpz.jpg

14wgjds.jpg

A close-up look on the included Rofis 18650 battery. The cell is from an unknown supplier.

jrp2tw.jpg
10zpw5i.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Rofis)

- Adjustable-head for multi-functional useage
- Detachable magnet tail
- Cree XP-L HI V3 led
- Max output of 1100 lumens
- Peak beam intensity of 10850 cd and max throw of 206 meters
- Single button access to six brightness levels and three special modes
- High efficiency constant circuit, provides max runtime of 200 hours
- Integrated power indicator light displays remaining battery power
- Power indicator's secondary function displays battery voltage
- Charging module with micro USB-port to charge li-ion battery
- Direct access to ultra low or ultra high output
- Reverse polarity protection
- Constructed from aero grade aluminum ally with HAIII hard-anodized finish
- Waterproof in accordance to IPX8 (2 meters submersible)
- Impact resistance to 1.5 meters
- Tail stand capability

Price: ~ $80

2z8nltg.jpg

10qmm1d.jpg

2z9azy1.jpg
w2ocnq.jpg

2ld9cih.jpg
2dumam8.jpg

birmn8.jpg
2namvqc.jpg

1zef340.jpg
2quorvn.jpg

The TR20 looks like a 'standard' light, if you're looking in a hurry. The slots at the head aren't just for affect. They also show where the head twist to make it an angled flashlight. Those slots line-up
perfectly when twisted. The clip can only be placed on one place, which allows for head-up carry. At the tail is the removable disc that holds the magnet. The disc uses a screw to be attached to the light.
When the magnet is not placed, there will be a screw-hole visible. This will not interfere with the water-resistance at all.
Just below the head is the micro-USB port to charge the light. It uses a rubber cover to prevent water and dust coming in. Do make sure the cover is pushed all the way in during use.

2zjmlx1.jpg
2z85mv6.jpg

14vsbqb.jpg
257d4ck.jpg

Out of the box it did require to much force to twist the head. It was almost impossible to twist the head back and forward. After applying some Nyogel it became much easier to twist.
Maybe it just need some break-in, but I think Rofis have to look at this closer. The corners, that occur when half-twisted, aren't that sharp as they may look.

2qlhlrr.jpg
24e25nc.jpg

The TR20 has square-cut threads that aren't anodized. The threads aren't anodized because of the charging feature. A single o-ring should keep dust and water out. The was no lube applied on the threads.
Dual springs help with shock absorption.

1z2q49h.jpg
1qkbid.jpg

256ciom.jpg

While charging, a red led will be visible. When charging is finished, a green led will be visible.
The red led will also indicate when battery power is running low and needs to be charged.

npnsqc.jpg
2vsfevn.jpg

2roi3pg.jpg
28ti5g4.jpg

User Interface:

The TR20 has two switches. A On/Off switch and a mode switch.

To turn On or Off, press the On/Off switch. To cycle between the modes, press the mode switch.
This will cycle between: Moon (5 lm) > Eco (10 lm) > Low (80 lm) > Mid (280 lm) > High (500 lm) > Turbo (1100 lm)

The TR20 has brightness mode memory, and will turn On in the last mode used.

While Off, press and hold the mode switch for 2 seconds to enter Moon mode. Press and hold the On/Off switch for 2 seconds to enter Turbo. (memory will not work in this UI part)

When On, press and hold the mode switch for 2 seconds to enter the special modes. Press and hold to cycle between Strobe, Beacon, SOS.

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/25 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall.

ml5i4j.jpg
6s5flw.jpg
i6cs95.jpg
18c2nl.jpg

242eybb.jpg
a2u5x1.jpg

ISO400, f/5.6, 3.2 sec

TR20:
Turbo
2hmj1mp.jpg

Surefire P1R Peacekeeper:
High

25i56cp.jpg

Zebralight SC600w III:
H1

2ywii6w.jpg

Size comparison:

15x77e1.jpg
25pmvev.jpg

(From L to R; Rofis 18650, TR20, ZL SC600w III, Olight R20, SF P1R)

Pros and Cons:

+ Angle option
+ Included battery
+ In-light chargeable
+ Removable magnet

- Head twist require much force
- Twist durability over time.

Conclusion:

The TR20 is somewhat in his own class. That's because it has a feature which you don't see that often. The adjustable head feature is something most manufactures don't do.
It gives the light more user options and together with the removable magnet, it may suit or needs very well. But at the end, is it durable enough? Time will tell.
Modes are well spaced out although I didn't notice much difference between High and Turbo. The micro-USB port is a great bonus as well. Same applies to the included 18650 battery.
With a price of around $80, it isn't that bad at all. You get a all-in-one package and don't have to buy extra's before you can use the light. At the end, I'm satisfied with this light and expect it will get
used in- and around the house.

The Rofis TR20 was supplied by Bensnail for review.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, kj2 :thumbsup:

I don't have the TR20, but I do have the JR40, which is a 2xAA version. The JR40's a nice light, and the twist head works well. Good for freeing up a hand by clipping it to your belt or your backpack, angling the head to suit.

I'm not keen on headlamps, because the straps tend to foul my hearing aids and my hat. If clipping a 1xAAA light to my hat visor isn't enough, a twist-head light can come into play.

I just wish they'd re-release the JR40 as a Nichia 219B version, because I'd buy it on the spot. 90+ CRI at 5000K makes the 219B my favourite emitter. Given the 219B's lower maximum power rating, 2xAA are a good match for it, whereas Cree XML and XPL LEDs really need an 18650 to get the most out of them.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday. Haven't put it down yet. Head was hard to turn but that's my only complaint. Can't find any faults and it's very well built. Magnetic tail, tripod mount, rechargeable, super slim. They thought of everything

ben446

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a 3 of these for my nieces for summer camp from gearbest. I thought it might takes months but they came in 4 days with the free DHL option. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I also used this link and got them for $53 each. I am charging them up right now.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_467334.html?wid=21&lkid=10128386

Just wanted to give a heads up if anyone is looking for one.

Last edited:

ikkentobi

Newly Enlightened
I also like the light very much, the adjustable head makes it stand out from many contenders. Some very minor points:

- I removed the clip, because I don't seem to need it and it can be in the way when twisting the head
- The head ist a bit hard to turn, but managable. Would a tiny amount of oil help here?
- I'd prefer the tail magnet to be a bit stronger
- In the dark, the buttons are a bit hard to find with gloves (well, the clip would help here...)

Nontheless, I really like it. The UI is easy but very functional.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I too just ordered one, although not at the good price ben446 noted (but what I thought is fair).
Like the review kj2, thanks.

Lateck,

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a 3 of these for my nieces for summer camp from gearbest. I thought it might takes months but they came in 4 days with the free DHL option. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I also used this link and got them for $53 each. I am charging them up right now.

Thanks for the heads up buddy :twothumbs getting 3 1 4 me 2 4 some mates.

rojigga

Newly Enlightened

If you're in Canada like myself, the DHL shipping, which I think cost me $4-5CAD for its expedited shipping, ended up adding another 30 bucks in customs and brokerage fees. Literally just shredded the paperwork so my wife didn't see, haha! So the $70~ flashlight cost me the same as what Amazon.ca lists ($99), but I have Amazon Prime so I would have had it shipped sooner for the same price. Now I know to add DHL to the list of shippers who charge crazy fees to cross borders. They literally charged GST on the GST the province charged when it came into the country. Same goes for UPS.