SureFire P2X FURY REVIEW! (New version of Old body)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Surefire P2X Fury (Dual Mode)

DSC_4542_zpsporrq9zc.jpg

Manufacturer specs

Output / Runtime -- White Light
High
.0lumens / 1.5 hours*
Low
.0lumens / 46.0 hours*
Tactical Runtime**
.5hours
Length
.40inches
Bezel Diameter
.35inches
Body Diameter
.00inches
Weight w/Batteries
.6ounces
Batteries

123A (included)

• Virtually indestructible LED emitter regulated to maximize light output and runtime
  • Two output levels—high for maximum light, low for extended runtime
  • Precision micro-textured reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
  • Tough polycarbonate window resists impact
  • Anodized aluminum body and bezel
  • Dual-output tailcap click switch—press for momentary-on low, click for constant-on low, return to off then press or click again for high
  • Weatherproof—O-ring and gasket sealed
  • Includes high-energy 123A batteries with 10-year shelf life

MSRP: ~$160

In the box

The P2X comes with several information cards as well as a card going over the No Hassle Lifetime Guarantee warranty that Surefire offers. Also included inside the light are two Surefire CR123A batteries.

DSC_4561_zpsjhkidpmu.jpg

Appearance

The P2X has a matte black, anodized aluminum body and bezel. There is no knurling but there are 6 indentations in the body for your fingers to grip. There are some anti-roll cuts in the head of the light also which work pretty well for the most part. I find that setting the light on it's head is a lot more effective though. The design almost looks "Futuristic" in my opinion!
naughty.gif
It has a very sleek design and the head size, contrary to my initial opinion, is not bad at all. It looks big but in regular use does not get in the way of anything. The lack of knurling can make the grip slightly slippery if you have dry hands but otherwise it is not bad. I really like the finger holds in it.

DSC_4548_zpsw0td7yyu.jpg

DSC_4550_zpscusnalp9.jpg

DSC_4551_zpsp9fej7dj.jpg

There is no "knurling" on the body but there are finger hold indentations on the body tube
There are somewhat of anti-roll groves in the head but they are not too effective.
The finish is almost entirely matte and is not reflective or shiny.
The size of the P2X is just under 5.5 inches.
The bezel is smooth, not crenelated at all.
The reflector is a textured Orange Peel (OP) and the LED is very well centered on my light.

There are also dual springs. One on the front and one on the back of the battery tube so that it can withstand more impact. The old P2X does NOT have dual springs, but the updated version of the P2X-B-BK as well as the newer body do have dual springs.

DSC_4562_zps1m1s4nh9.jpg

DSC_4549_zpsxyf2tjbb.jpg

DSC_4547_zpshf4tyzya.jpg

DSC_4545_zpsdzcr2fkx.jpg

DSC_4546_zpsx2gzbl7t.jpg

Comparison:

From left to right:

Nitecore MH20, Coleman MAX, COAST A22R, Fenix UC35, Surefire G2X Pro, Surefire P2X Fury, Klarus AR10, Nitecore MH27UV, Nitecore TM03, Inova T3R

DSC_4552_zpsk6tcwxfo.jpg

IMG_8100_zpskooxlvo4.jpg

IMG_8101_zps2z0fenxo.jpg

User Interface

The P2X Interface is very simple. The first press of the tail clicky will activate the light in low mode (15 lumens). When the light is turned off, another press within 2 seconds will turn the light on in high mode (600 lumens). The on time plays no part in the mode switching. This also works with momentary, so the clicky does not have to be pressed all the way to switch modes.

Physical Tests

Every bit of this flashlight says "Built like a tank." The aluminum body feels very, very sturdy and it feels very nice in the hand. It is said to be weatherproof, however I have used it underwater with no issues. It has been in heavy rain, underwater, and also dropped many times with no issues whatsoever. The electronics are potted so that adds to the durability. The P2X Feels so much more durable than any of the Chinese brand flashlights I have used (Fenix, Nitecore, etc..) and feels like it could take much more of a beating than them.

DSC_4565_zpsjgioibsc.jpg

Beam pattern

The Orange Peel reflector in the P2X renders a very smooth beam. Unlike smooth reflectors, it does not have a super round hotspot. The transition from hot spot to corona, to spill is very smooth and useful in the real world. There aren't any artifacts or rings either. There is no donut in the hot spot like smooth-reflector flashlights usually suffer from.

The pictures are color graded on AppleRGB to be as close to what my eyes see as possible. It has a cool-white center and spill, but the corona is a neutral/warm tint. I would rather the entire beam be cool white or a perfect white. The warmness will cut through fog and rain better though which is a plus side.
THE DONUT IN THE CENTER IS CREATED BY THE CAMERA, it is NOT there in reality. The center is perfect.

ISO 64, f/3.5, 1/60
DSC_4566_zpsu3v7jc97.jpg

ISO 64, f/3.5, 1/800
DSC_4567_zps357sfngk.jpg

Personal Opinions

The Surefire P2X is a beast of a flashlight. Even just holding it for a second, it feels so much more durable than any light I have ever used. The simple UI is nice. Although I would like to see one more mode added in, the simplicity is great and makes it very hard to get confused. I am very glad that the brightness bounces back to low after 2 seconds of being off so that in normal usage, the light almost always comes on low so that you do not blind yourself. If you need the brightest setting, it is very easy to just double-tap the tail clicky to get that bright setting.

The overall fit and finish is great on it as well. I really like the smooth design of it. Although sometimes it suffers from not having the knurling, it usually is no problem and the finger wedges are a very nice addition to it. The size is just on the border for EDC but it fits in all of my jeans and anything else, so I can still use it for EDC without issue. The durability is amazing and I have no worries at all with bringing this light into the elements with me. I know that it will turn on when I need it to.

The 600 "Surefire lumens" are very, very bright and easily shine over 150 meters. My backyard is around 380 feet from the porch to the woods beyond the yard. The trees are illuminated and visible at that distance. An animal's eyes would be visible far past that.

Overall there really isn't anything bad I can say about this light other than it's lack of ability to use 18650s. I think that an 18650 is far superior to CR123's both for battery life as well as cost and recharge ability.

PROS

Brightness
Throw and flood
Good runtime and great runtime on low
Water resistant
shock resistant
for the most part it is compact
very simple UI
Feels indestructible
Tactical Tailcap clicky

CONS
Can't use 18650
Beam color tint partially

Bottom line, I recommend this light to anyone who needs to rely on their flashlight. Anyone who wants something extremely durable that will work for a lifetime, for a great manufacturer with a great warranty as well.
I definitely would recommend this for military and Law Enforcement Officers. It is a strong powerful light.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
So this means SF has two 600 lumen Fury models now, one smooth and one knurled?

That is correct! They originally made this body in 500 lumens. It didn't have a spring on the front and it had an older emitter. They "Secretly" Updated it, adding dual springs and an emitter upgrade which made it 600 lumens. (The one I reviewed).

But then recently they updated the body to the knurled version. It doesn't even look like SF sells this older body anymore besides the Tactical version.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
But then recently they updated the body to the knurled version. It doesn't even look like SF sells this older body anymore besides the Tactical version.
The older version with 600 Lumens was sold in Q1 and Q2 of this year sometimes for cheap money on ebay. The new knurled version was sometimes 20-30USD more expensive in comparsion to the 600 Lumens old body version.

I assume SF had old bodies still in stock and used this bodies for the updated 600 Lumens version first and than the new knurled bodies came.

Btw. I never liked the old smooth version, but I love the nwew kn urled one. For this reason I now have a P2X and P3X with the new body design.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I'd definitely like to try out the new body. I don't know which I would like better. The new body seems more effective though. The anti-roll looks better as well.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder if the new knurled body will have a combatlight version as well.
The old smooth body combatlight looked and felt great in the hand.

Graylock

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's website contains no reference to this "updated" version of the old body. The only model listed is the old tactical version P2X-A-BK, with the 500-lumen head, being sold at a substantial discount. Their website notes the packaging contains incorrect info about the tailcap, so this is supposedly why they've discounted this model. Seems to me as if they are simply clearing out old inventory!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool review.

Question, are there any newer 600-lumen versions that did *not* have dual springs? Or does 600 lumen variant automatically means it has dual springs?