AAA thrower

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I adore my little AAA/10440 lights, most of them having quite a floody spillage beam (which works v well) but I just wondered if there existed a designated out and out thrower in such a small form?

Thanks forbyour input. [emoji41]

brighterthanthesun

Enlightened
I have quite a few different models myself and I really like them. I think that the only way to get any significant throw is by sheer output. My best one is the Ultratac K18 with an IMR 10440. The actual winner is probably the Lumintop Toolvn. That light it amazing for its size.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I have quite a few different models myself and I really like them. I think that the only way to get any significant throw is by sheer output. My best one is the Ultratac K18 with an IMR 10440. The actual winner is probably the Lumintop Toolvn. That light it amazing for its size.
I have the ultratac myself and love it (except for the fact you can't stand it up). Lumintop tool is in my amazon basket as we speak. I had seen the surefire titan and wondered about it.
I love the flood on my torches I would just love it if there was one that had a really tight hotspot too.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title of this thread is AAA Throwers, we should break this down to actual throw:

Utratac - 84m (using 10440)
Lumintop Tool - 47m (using AAA)
Thrunite Ti3 - 50m (using AAA)
Olight I3E - 47m (using AAA)
Maglite Solitaire - 57m (using AAA)

feel free to add more to the list ...

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
The title of this thread is AAA Throwers, we should break this down to actual throw:

Utratac - 84m (using 10440)
Lumintop Tool - 47m (using AAA)
Thrunite Ti3 - 50m (using AAA)
Olight I3E - 47m (using AAA)
Maglite Solitaire - 57m (using AAA)

feel free to add more to the list ...
Looks like ultratac wins then. It wasn't so much the manufacturers claims it was more....is there a triple a that doesnt spill and has a tight hotspot?

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
I reckon that the Surefire Titan Plus (run by an Eneloop) gives the others a run for their money. Just tried it in the dark outside my house and it found a fox trotting past around 60 metres away.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I reckon that the Surefire Titan Plus (run by an Eneloop) gives the others a run for their money. Just tried it in the dark outside my house and it found a fox trotting past around 60 metres away.
Is that with a relatively concentrated beam or quite floody? I would ask to see your fox Jim but I don't want you getting the wrong idea [emoji13]

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Led lenser i6 pen light runs on 3aaa and has a focusable head so the Hotspot is quite small. They claim 120m throw. It easily out throws my stylus pro and nitecore mt06

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Led lenser i6 pen light runs on 3aaa and has a focusable head so the Hotspot is quite small. They claim 120m throw. It easily out throws my stylus pro and nitecore mt06
Really been put off led lenser of late after my led lenser headtorch decided it didn't like the dark. Thanks for the suggestion though.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with getting throw out of a single aaa light, is reflector size. Big led in tiny reflector will always be floody. Using a dedomed xp-e and a 10440 would help on the throw. Since the reflector is small, the led needs to be small to focus the beam.
Got this 3xaaa throw king. Solarforce masterpice pro head, and a l2i tube (uses one 18650, or 3xaaa :). Its a little more than 100K lux with a 18650.
IMG_0308_zpslt2lqmn6.jpg

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
The problem with getting throw out of a single aaa light, is reflector size. Big led in tiny reflector will always be floody. Using a dedomed xp-e and a 10440 would help on the throw. Since the reflector is small, the led needs to be small to focus the beam.
Got this 3xaaa throw king. Solarforce masterpice pro head, and a l2i tube (uses one 18650, or 3xaaa :). Its a little more than 100K lux with a 18650.
IMG_0308_zpslt2lqmn6.jpg
Yeah I did think size was the issue (isn't it always...nudge nudge wink wink).

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking this is the fourth time I will have mentioned this light and every time the response has been the distant sound of crickets...

Tinywind has a Trustfire Z-10 last time I looked; about $20 retail. 10440 does it justice, heavy, gold coated brass, significantly tighter hotspot than stock Tool, decent cool tint, tenacious trustworthy clip, recessed tail clicky that has never activated unless intended, did I mention heavy? It is not an issue to me in pocket, helps with the heat build up. Good grip for sure, the finish has started to wear because of much use (favorite clip/pocket single 10440/AAA).

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i remember correlctly the l3 illumination l08, have a bigger head than the standard aaa lights. That should in theory, give a advantage in the throw department. Dont own one, so not sure about how well it throws. But i remember i wanted one because of the slightly bigger head compared to the "standard" aaa's. Might be worth checking out.

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
Is that with a relatively concentrated beam or quite floody? I would ask to see your fox Jim but I don't want you getting the wrong idea [emoji13]

blindedbythenight - sadly, the fox was too quick for my camera. The Surefire Titan Plus is quite floody - but throws quite well due to sheer output. As someone has pointed out in this thread, the issue is that the reflector is quite shallow. It's a great light, though.