Cool Pocket-sized LED light

charliek

Enlightened
I love pocket lights as much or more than I love bigger torches, and LED lights are my overall favorite. I've been wishing for a new light for a while.

I'd like a pocket-sized LED light... 2 or more LEDs... multiple brightness settings would be really cool. I'd like it to run on common cells.. like a single AA or AAA...

All the lights I have have only a few of these qualities:

I have a Photon 3 This is cool, but it's an older unit that is flakey sometimes when I change settings- I heard they have fixed this in newer versions.?? also only 1 LED, and it runs on Coin cells

I have an Arc AAA and a CMG infinity Ultra - 1LED & No brightness settings in either

Got a PT Eclipse... uses coin cells and only has 1 LED

Have an Eternalight Ergo Xray- really cool... but hardly pocket sized.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m sure no one will recommend an Arc 4, I don`t know if their any good...don`t have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe a Derringer?

Maybe an X-5? (no multi power levels though)

What price range...how big is to big?

Ken

L3

Newly Enlightened

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might try the Eternalight Derringer. Same shape as your Ergo, but smaller, lighter, pocket sized. I like its brightness, 3 levels of white, 2 levels red, and button switch. Another possibility is the Shorelite Vx-2. It's got 2 LEDs, has 4 levels, and uses one AA. I've got the Vx-1 with one LED and do like its uniqueness, but the beam is pretty blue and blotchy. You can find Shorelites at GlowBug and that's where I found the Derringer for a good price.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
You might try the Eternalight Derringer. Same shape as your Ergo, but smaller, lighter, pocket sized. I like its brightness, 3 levels of white, 2 levels red, and button switch. Another possibility is the Shorelite Vx-2. It's got 2 LEDs, has 4 levels, and uses one AA. I've got the Vx-1 with one LED and do like its uniqueness, but the beam is pretty blue and blotchy. You can find Shorelites at GlowBug and that's where I found the Derringer for a good price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Shorelight vx2 on order from Glowbug... although it's been a week and I still haven't received my light. I hesitate to order from him again.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
What about the PT attitude?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got one of those.... I was looking for selectable brightness as well..
Selectable brightness, pocket sized, common battery and multiple LEDs

The attitude makes 3 out of four... close, but no cigar....

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
I've read that installing the PAL Light lens upside down will create more of a flood beam. I've not tried that though, since the stock beam is fine with me on the units I have. I'd say it's a bit too well focused for much use in close-up tasks, but it's fine for a walking around light.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I`m sure no one will recommend an Arc 4, I don`t know if their any good...don`t have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe a Derringer?

Maybe an X-5? (no multi power levels though)

What price range...how big is to big?

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

The $185 for the Arc4 is way out of line... let's put the upper cap at $40
Too big to comfortably carry in a front pocket is too big.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here is a little pocket sized light that gets coolness from the fact that it just sits on top of a common 9V battery. It also has switched light levels...lo-off-hi.

9v.jpg

It's made by the PaKlite folks at www.paklite.net

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
How about PAL lights? I hear it has a really poor beam.... is there an easy fix to make it have a more useful output?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you get the PAL light with the SMD LED in it, you can carefully pry out the lens and reinsert it backwards.
The PAL Survival is one such model.

From my website:

If you're reasonably careful, a small screwdriver or even a pocket knife can be used to remove the lens. Sneak the blade in between the edge of the lens and its opening, and just kind of lift it out with the tip of the blade. A wide flange on the lens's edge provides some protection from accidental gouging.
Flip the lens over and simply push it back into its opening.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
My Bad! That's suppposed to be www.paklite.net! I did an edit on the previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... the street light would be cool.... but I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

From my website:
If you're reasonably careful, a small screwdriver or even a pocket knife can be used to remove the lens. Sneak the blade in between the edge of the lens and its opening, and just kind of lift it out with the tip of the blade. A wide flange on the lens's edge provides some protection from accidental gouging.
Flip the lens over and simply push it back into its opening.
[/i]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great- I don't think it could be easier than that...
Just a single LED though... how does it rate in brightness against other single LEDers like a Photon, or the Eclipse?

paulr

Flashaholic
You might try the PT Aurora headlamp. Three leds, headstrap, three AAA's, similar multiple brightnesses etc. to the Eclipse. It sounds like you really want an Arc 4 though.

charliek

Enlightened
OK guys- I just ordered a PAL "Selector" light- this one differs from the "survival" PAL light a bit- it has the "Constant on" mode and 7 brightness settings- starts low and increments UP (a great approach!- most are oposite!)
It has a new lens that make s "softer spot than the survival" that is better for reading or close up work. Well, it still doesn't have multiple LEDs, but they claim it to be brighter than your average single LED light.... I guess I'll know for sure in a few days. $15.75 is a REAL nice price too!