Olight X7R or Vinh X7vn?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I have the X7 but would like the upgrade to either the X7R at 12,000 lm, or the X7vn at 14,500 lm. I am not really sure that I like the lanyard on the X7R sticking out of the side of the light. I guess that the batteries in the X7R can be removed so they can be switched out for fresh cells or faster charging but I am not sure can anyone confirm this? I also am thinking that it will be running on the same 10 amp HDC Olight batteries or Samsung 30Q's. {which I need since they are so much cheaper and 15 amps)

Anyway all things considered I am only going to buy one and if you are looking at them, which one do you favor and why? The cost is not relevant so judge them like they have the same retail price please. Even if you aren't looing at them to purchase, but have seen them both I would like to know your thoughts as well.

On a side note many thanks to everyone who helped me out on my post about build quality. I have been looing at Malkoff lights.

Last edited:

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
If you're patient, wait for an X7Rvn :p
I thought about that, but do you think that Olight just bumped up the driver some or do you think that this light has the potential for vinh to actually get it beyond 14,500 lm?

ven

Flashaholic
Think the xhp70 is good for around 5000lm, so would guess 15,000 would be around max possible output(+ or - ). Advantages lanyard attachment(yes i dont like it either), built in charging which is useful to have. Not sure if any more mass to help with heat or not................It may simply just take over from the x7vn.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the X9? Would be a much bigger upgrade.

Or mod the one you have. All you need to turn yours into the VN version is a $15 driver from mountain electronics, some elbow grease and solder.

Xerack

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty new to the forums and I understand your dilemma OP. I just recently purchased the X7 as well, and then I stumbled Vinh's page, and see what is coming after shot show 2017. I am very tempted to sell my X7 and purchase a X7vn as well - LoL. I'm not sure I like the upcoming model, at least the lanyard attachment point, but the handle grip might be nice.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I have no idea what I am doing with mods. I would possibly destroy it, I should and want to start modding lights, but should probably start with some maglights or something a little cheaper.

How about the X9? Would be a much bigger upgrade.

Or mod the one you have. All you need to turn yours into the VN version is a $15 driver from mountain electronics, some elbow grease and solder.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I am pretty new to the forums and I understand your dilemma OP. I just recently purchased the X7 as well, and then I stumbled Vinh's page, and see what is coming after shot show 2017. I am very tempted to sell my X7 and purchase a X7vn as well - LoL. I'm not sure I like the upcoming model, at least the lanyard attachment point, but the handle grip might be nice.

I think I may think this one through for a little while. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Thrunite TN42 pretty soon so I have a really powerful thrower, then come back to the flooders.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
X7R for me all day as I can't be bothered with 4th time lucky from Vinh. As a lumens chaser Olight are a godsend to me.

Yikes! I don't think visually the difference between 12,000 lumens and 14,500 lumens will be very perceivable. I was looking at the 25,000 lumen X9, but I don't think I want fans in my flashlight.

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
Think the xhp70 is good for around 5000lm, so would guess 15,000 would be around max possible output(+ or - ). Advantages lanyard attachment(yes i dont like it either), built in charging which is useful to have. Not sure if any more mass to help with heat or not................It may simply just take over from the x7vn.

4022 lm per CREE so 12,000 lm is about the max for three XHP70.

peter bkk

Newly Enlightened
Am I right that the x7r is still not released? I would be very interested to buy, but can't find much about it.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure Vinh isn't going to mod X7R. He mentioned it to me because I asked him already. From what I understand, the stock X7 driver has received very mediocre, at best, feedback. The X7R, in order to install Driver VNx2, will need to sacrifice the built in charging. There's no advantage to taking on this light with the X7VN already in place. Vinh does say he is definitely planning on making an X9VN. So maybe hold on to your hats when X9 comes, because X9VN is coming right behind it. Check out my X7VN YouTube review below. Lots of quality beam shots and discussion on operation of, and best fuel for the X7VN.