Issue with a Malkoff MD tailcap

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
I have a Malkoff MD tailcap that has ceased to work correctly (purchased blemished or this would be a simple warranty issue) It's lived on the end of a 6P for a year or two with no issues but a few nights ago the light fell off my nightstand and hit the carpet. Now the light will not turn on; it's definitely the tailcap as the light still works perfectly with the original 6P tailcap (modified with a McClicky). What's odd is that there is still continuity between the tailcap and the spring, depending on the state of the switch. Could the switch be broken in a way that continuity to the body is achieved but with an enormous amount of resistance? I'm thinking about just disassembling and reassembling it; any ideas? :thinking:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have a Malkoff MD tailcap that has ceased to work correctly (purchased blemished or this would be a simple warranty issue) It's lived on the end of a 6P for a year or two with no issues but a few nights ago the light fell off my nightstand and hit the carpet. Now the light will not turn on; it's definitely the tailcap as the light still works perfectly with the original 6P tailcap (modified with a McClicky). What's odd is that there is still continuity between the tailcap and the spring, depending on the state of the switch. Could the switch be broken in a way that continuity to the body is achieved but with an enormous amount of resistance? I'm thinking about just disassembling and reassembling it; any ideas? :thinking:

Sure, this might be of interest ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?402358-How-To-McClicky-Switch-disassembly

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuity doesn't necessarily tell you much about how much current it can handle. What kind of current draw does your dropin pull? The switch should be easy to remove if you have something pointy but not too sharp to get the o-ring out.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Unless you bought it from Malkoff with the stipulation that it carried no warranty you should still be covered. I would contact Gene Malkoff or Cathy and ask. The worst they can say is "No" and the best, and most likely, is that they'll simply ask you to send it in for repair or replacement.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
just contact gene, i have got stuff fixed for a blemished item before. Dropped the hound dog on the tile floor, and the lense got a crack. Informed Gene it was a blemished item, still got a new lense for it :)