Non-hobbyist's impression of the Arc4+

geek

Newly Enlightened
Non-hobbyist\'s impression of the Arc4+

For several months, I've been lurking about CPF, trying to pick out a new EDC. Just recently, I more-or-less settled on the Arc4+. Through a strange and fortuitous circumstance, I wound up getting to play with one this morning. To my surprise, there are several aspects of the Arc 4 that I disliked enough to start looking at other lights again. I've scarcely seen any less than enthusiastic commentary on the 4, so I thought I'd share my impressions with the few of you who haven't already got one.

The tactile feeling of the tail button is the light's primary detraction. Most momentary switches on consumer electronics provide a postive tactile confirmation when activated. This is a traditional element of electronics user interface design, leading to comforable, intuitive function. The switch in the Arc4's tail button has scarcely any "give," and no click at all. As someone else wrote, it's much like pressing down on a pencil eraser. Not knowing exactly when the switch engages or disengages makes triple-clicking (and *shudder* decuple-clicking) more difficult than it needs to be. For a microcontroller-based light so heavily dependant uupon multi-clicking, this is a big problem.

Peter Gransee's post detailing the Arc4 drop testing left me feeling that the tail button couldn't take much abuse. Looking at the switch internals of a real Arc4 this morning, my concern was reinforced. In my mind, a light this expensive should be nigh-indestructable; I certainly shouldn't have to worry about dropping it. In my experience, MiniMags are much sturdier than the Arc4 is described as being.

The implementation of the tail button user interface also disappointed me. It was fairly easy to turn the light on and off and switch between brightness settings, true... but flashlights have a long history of no-fooling-around analog switches that respond instantaneously and consistently. "Fairly easy" to use is not what I want in a flashlight. Besides, the "menu," where the advanced features are configured and accessed, is incredibly fiddly and annoying. Having read that the Arc 4 acclimates to one's clicking style, I clicked up a storm trying to calibrate the light. I couldn't discern that it ever became any more consistently responsive.

Anyway, I've been lusting over the Arc 4+ for several weeks, and I thought I would inevitably order one. I'm really glad I had the unexpected opportunity to try it out first. If had paid $180 for this light (or, to be fair, $100, as the light I played with today was a second), I would be sending it back to Arc with my regrets. It's a neat light, but it is too flawed to be my EDC, and definitely not worth that amount of money (to me). I have no aversion to spending significantly more money on an item to get what I consider the best... the Arc 4 just isn't it.

With a few refinements, the Arc 4+ would be the perfect light for me. I'd like a longer body with two cells, which I understand is in the works. I'd like a sturdy, clicky tail button. Many OEMs make these; they could be bought whole and integrated with the 4. I'd like to take better advantage of the microcontroller. (For example, why is there no variable rate/intensity strobe function?) Finally, I'd like to see the flashlight connect to a PC for user programming. I would reprogram my light infrequently, and would much prefer to do so using my PC rather than the existing "menu." My ideal would be for the microcontroller source code to be released, allowing geeks like myself to develop it further and provide the improvements to Arc and everyone else.

There's no question in my mind that the Arc 4+ is a visionary reimagining of the flashlight. I hope and believe that many more microcontroller-based, solid state smartlights will follow. Somebody will get it right. Arc is just the sort of small, quality and innovation driven company I feel good about giving my money to, so I hope it's them.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Non-hobbyist\'s impression of the Arc4+

Interesting observations. I have confidence these things will shake themselves out after a while. Although I tend to be an early adopter, I prefer not be be on the "bleeding edge"

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic

Very good review, I agree with pretty much everything in it.

CiTY

Enlightened

It is a nice light, but to me, it's not there yet. I need a switch guard to be EDC, and stand up on it's tail would be nice too... I am on the wait list for the VIP light, to me that is a funtionally better light with the accessories. Perhaps when ARC releases the 5W version with revisions, I will look at it again.

paulr

Flashaholic

I have to add, I think the Arc4 did pretty well in the drop test. Remember that test involved throwing the Arc4 20 feet in the air and letting it slam down on asphalt, repeatedly. We're not talking about dropping the light from pocket level to the carpet. I don't think a Mag could have possibly survived the Arc4's drop test.

rycen

Enlightened

It sounds like the LS series from Arc would be better for you.

paulr

Flashaholic

It seems to me that if you just set the Arc4 to max brightness and never ever use its dimmability settings, just click it on and off, you still have a better light than the Arc LS series. The Arc4 isn't perfect but it improves on the LS series in just about every way. I don't know of any other 1x123 LED light that I could recommend over it. The only other lights I can think of suggesting to Geek are the Surefire L4 and A2, which use 2x123. It's sort of interesting that the A2 is microprocessor controlled (the soft start and regulation circuitry is run by a PIC) since that's not something a user would immediately guess.

avusblue

Enlightened

For me, I think the Arc4 is trying to do too much via one lone button. Either some sort of programming link to a PC (cable or infrared?), or additional switches/buttons would seem appropriate to "dumb it down" to the level where I would find it appealing. This is coming from a diehard fan of the Arc LS series, and generally not one to shy away from technology products.

I am on the VIP list and based on what we've seen so far, it seems like that light will meet my needs and desires better -- simplicity in operation, tailstanding, and switch guard.

Just one person's opinion, and it's worth what you just paid for it.

Dave

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I picked up an Arc 4 last week (a second). As a second this light looks very nice, pure white beam good job with the HA.
Then I had to compare it to my other digital lights. They are:

1. ARC LSHP
2. Surefire L1
3. Surefire L4
4. Surefire A2

Each one has its good and bad points, as I look at these 5 lights I am left wondering why no one manufacture can put the best of each light into one light.

Here would be my wish list, (keeping it simple as possible).

1. Two stage tail like the L1 and A2, high or low beam. Keep it simple.

2. Pure white light like the Arc 4 and L4 but at least the output of a L4.

3. A single 123 and a double 123 model that will interchange with each other, like the L4 does with the E1E.

In closing I think the Arc 4 is a very nice light but is lacking is some areas, its also a bit overpriced at full retail.

I find myself going back to my old ARC LSLS with twist cap as my work EDC and carrying the rest on weekends to show off. But thats just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

TheFire

Enlightened

I'd say you might want to look at the LS series... they're a lot like the Arc4, but not fiddly in the same way...

Drjones

Enlightened

Hello and welcome, geek.

Thanks for the interesting review. Personally, my search for the perfect flashlight basically ended with the SF L4. Sure, there are lots of other lights that I'd love to have, but as far as being a wonderful EDC and even a great nightstand, SHTF type light, the L4 is pretty much tops.

You might want to check it out.

As I read the features of the upcoming (now released) Arc4, I too thought it sounded like waaaaay too many features and controls to be effectively harnessed by one simple button.

But, I've never seen one and probably won't, so who knows.

One last thing is that the idea of a flashlight programmable by PC seems that it would find an incredibly small niche at best and is not something that we're likely to see from a major manufacturer for a VERY long time, if ever.

JMHO and I very well could be wrong...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with the tailswitch in the drop test. I saw the actual unit that was dropped (it was pretty mangled up) and the part that was damaged was the switch in the head. The tailswitch still functions if you put it on another light. The test did involve *multiple* drops so I think the durability of the light is pretty good. I'm surpised by the comment about the Mag's durability. Have you seen Darrell's Uh oh video? You need to see that before passing judgement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

Once you get to know it, the Arc4+ is an awesome light. I, too, think that it has too many bells and whistles, but you don't have to use them. I like to use just three light levels, very low (level 16), medium bright, just below the ArcLSH-P, and high (level 1). The switch does click for me, and although I had some problems with it early on, it is, to me, the best EDC on the market.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

A tactile response from a tool that gives you a visual one? Do you plan on having your eyes closed when you activate the light? I don't think I understand your concern and I've been using all kinds of tools professionally for around 20-21 years now, I think the light coming on and responding visually is all the feedback I need. I think the current switch is great due to the minimum of moving parts. A clickie that often requires "ways" of a certain tolerance, double springs and a detent to engage and disengage can wear out very quickly especially in the plastic styles like the kroll that are popular but less than desireable and known to be troublesome. I'd bet this switch is more durable than any clickie on the market especially since the light requires the switch to access the menu and change the settings and a clickie would wear out very quickly from the multiple clicks it would have to endure. A port or switch or other external orifice allowing access to changing the menu or software would be just one more opening to waterproof as well. I love the compactness and simplicity of the overall design. I like the single cell operation as well simplistic and requiring a minimum of backup cells for emergency use.

I do think that eventually microprocessor controlled lights will have a user interface for accessing the software, but I think that at this time in the infancy of the technology and likely due to warranty concerns and such it is better that Peter's company be responsible for installing or upgrading the software. I find the Arc4+ to be very easy to use, to have a very good selection of options at the time and would easily state that the concern over the options (which were discussed at extreme length, here, even as the light was being designed) are likely just a case of not being able to please all the people all the time.

Tad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Radagast

Enlightened

You guys are being a little hard on it. The Arc4 is not difficult to use. You never have to change settings at all. If you didn't know it had a microprocessor you wouldn't even know. I set my high and low levels once and will probably never do it again. Once I got the hang of it it's pretty simple. What is a good feature is the way the levels step down as the battery loses power. It extends the battery life instead of just turning off or even just going into moon mode. I love my Arc4 second and wish I could get the 4x. I prefer the one button interface to button and switch. Yes, improvements can be made, but I'm already using almost exclusively and finding my old lights a little primitive.

machulu

Newly Enlightened

Geek,

I have to disagree but I appreciate your review from a non-hobbyist perspective. I would also want more feedback from the tail button but it works well with what it's meant to do... atleast for my ARC4. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I actually feel with all the functions of the ARC4, the one button interface is brilliant and couldn't be easier to use. I'm constantly showing co-workers my ARC4 so I change the different brightness and modes quite a bit. It usually takes me literally a minute to get set both the primary and secondary levels and all the modes back to the way I like it. I believe the ARC4 is a very well executed product. It has room for improvement but what doesn't?

~Stephen

N

nick123

I agree 100% with "geek's" studied comments. The biggest failing of the Arc4+ is the tail button. It should provide tactile feedback, and anything that needs to be pressed with the frequency and speed required by the Arc's programming schema should be better suited to the task. I vote for a bluetooth or WiFi enabled Arc4x, that could be programmed from my PDA, or maybe remotely from over the internet (or from other parts of my house). Is that too much to ask??

paulr

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
One last thing is that the idea of a flashlight programmable by PC seems that it would find an incredibly small niche at best and is not something that we're likely to see from a major manufacturer for a VERY long time, if ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
You think that a $180, one watt pocket flashlight isn't already an incredibly small niche? Arc's whole business strategy, as I understand it, revolves around selling lights to niches that are vibrant enough to keep a small company profitable, but limited enough that big companies won't mess with them. If I could use my PC to change the programming of my Arc4, I'd certainly do so. Whether there are enough others who would do the same is a different question, that I don't know the answer to.

Also, I agree about the wish for tactile feedback. Maybe I want to turn the light on inside my jacket pocket, then pull it out. Or I want to be able to tell right away whether the light is at level 1 or level 4, without having to hold down the button to see if the light gets brighter. Finally I find multiple-clicking to be quite difficult. A softer button with more travel would help that a lot. But it would change the design quite a lot, since signals would have to travel through the battery tube, i.e. there would have to be wires running through the tube somehow, rather than the current scheme where the batteries push against a switch mounted on the back of the head assembly.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened

The feel of the switch is unusual, no doubt. Took me at least five minutes to get used to it.

If Arc does add a click of some sort, I hope it will be a tactile response only. Silence is golden.