What is the best LED on the market??

Luke

Newly Enlightened
Lets say I want to do a project. I want to start with the best components available. So I need a LED that will cut a hole in the dark without needing too much juice. I then need the best batteries to keep it running. Also the best switch. From this I can play.

So fire away with your thoughts!!

Luke

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luke,
You said the best LED without needing too much juice. How much is too much juice? R ranked 1.2 watt Luxeons are the highest output available at this point so if you desire that power consumption, go for that.
What kind of batteries will you be using? Alkaline, lithium, NiCAD, NiMH or Lithium-Ion?
An example of a ultra-long throw LED light would use these components. Mag 2C flashlight with two JS Burley 3.6V Lithium-Ion batteries providing 7.2V. Use a sleeve to keep the batteries centered in the 2C tube. Machine down the reflector so the "Hotlips C" heatsink will fit in the head.
Grab a Luxeon III TWAK (67 to 87 lumens at 700mA) and mate it with one of dat2zip's DownBoy 700mA regulators. The Mag switch works great with these mods so don't worry about that.
The Lithium-Ion batteries with charger are expensive (around $100) but 3 lithium CR123a batteries will work fine also.
If you don't like the beam quality that the Mag reflector provides, it can be "sputtered" (search function for people to do it) Flashlightlens.com can provide you with a much better lens that is more durable, scratch resistant and lets more light through than stock.
Hope my babbling helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Luke

Newly Enlightened
I would like to find the "Holy Grail" !! A torch that can be modded to run a great LED set p . Running good power for as long as possible. Its what we all want!! I dont mind using a Mag as a host unit or maybe even a "Streamlight " twin task unit. Then to find a real easy set up than can last ages. I like the idea of lithium batteries as these will mean it will work when required!!

Thanks for yoyr advice. I need the help.

Cheers

luke