Test/review of Conrad energy LiIon 9V 500mAh (Blue)

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Conrad energy LiIon 9V 500mAh (Blue)[/size]

DSC_9897.jpg

Official specifications:
  • Chemistry: Lithium
  • Rechargeable: Yes
  • Voltage: 7.4V
  • Rated Capacity: 500mAh
  • Minimum Capacity: 450mAh
  • Voltage at end of discharge: 6.0V
  • Charging voltage: 8.4V
  • Internal Impedance: <500mOhm at 1kHz
  • Standard charge: CC/CV 8.4V 0.2C with 0.02C cut-off
  • Fast charge: CC/CV 8.4V 0.5C with 0.02C cut-off
  • Maximum continuous charge: 1C
  • Standard discharge: 0.2C to 6.0V
  • Fast discharge: 0.5C to 6.0V
  • Maximum continuous discharge: 1C
  • Operating temperature range: charge: 0°C ~ 45°C, discharge: -20°C ~ 60°C
  • Storage temperature range: less than 3 months: -20°C ~ 40°C, less than 1 year: -20°C ~ 25°C
  • Cycle life: 500 cycles to 70% using standard charge/discharge
  • Size maximum: 48.5 x 26.5 x 17.5 mm

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-info.png

The German company Conrad have some 9V LiIon cell in their range of batteries, this is the high capacity version.
Overcharge protection on the A cell kicks in at 8,49 volt and over discharge protection at 5,67V
Overcharge protection on the B cell kicks in at 8,51 volt and over discharge protection at 5,56V

DSC_9898.jpg
DSC_9899.jpg

DSC_9900.jpg

DSC_9901.jpg

DSC_9902.jpg

DSC_9903.jpg

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-Capacity.png

There is some difference in capacity between the two cells. Both cells handles load fine, even at 500mA, the capacity is also more than rated.

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTime.png

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTimeHours.png

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-Energy.png

Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)-Charge.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

These batteries have more than double capacity compared to NiMH 9V batteries and are close to a alkaline battery at low load and this battery will maintain high capacity and voltage at high load.

In moderate to high load situations this looks like a good replacement for alkaline.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other 9V batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium/other

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given that these obscure batteries are 6x more expensive than the ubiquitous 600mAh 9V 2S EBLs, and don't appear to offer any advantages, why would anyone consider buying them (and why would anyone consider reviewing them)?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Given that these obscure batteries are 6x more expensive than the ubiquitous 600mAh 9V 2S EBLs, and don't appear to offer any advantages, why would anyone consider buying them (and why would anyone consider reviewing them)?

How would you know that they are the same as EBL without reviews?
And please provide a link to a EBL review*, I would like to see their performance.

And I believe it is important to review both cheap and expensive batteries*, in my opinion it is the only way you are able to compare them.

* With reviews I do not mean opinions of people trying the batteries, but only real tests! And to compare batteries it is best to compare reviews from the same reviewer, there is a huge difference between the equipment used for testing batteries.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you know that they are the same as EBL without reviews?
As you surely know, I've mentioned many times that I've been using the EBLs for over a year, and they perform great in all my devices. So why would I (or anyone of sane mind) pay 6x the price for some obscure battery with no proven advantages?

It is beyond me why you chose to review this very obscure battery instead of the very popular EBL (by far the most widely sold Li-ion 9V on eBay).

Please don't support price-gouging companies by giving them free advertising.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
As you surely know, I've mentioned many times that I've been using the EBLs for over a year, and they perform great in all my devices. So why would I (or anyone of sane mind) pay 6x the price for some obscure battery with no proven advantages?

It is beyond me why you chose to review this very obscure battery instead of the very popular EBL (by far the most widely sold Li-ion 9V on eBay).

Please don't support price-gouging companies by giving them free advertising.

I believe that I can use my money any way I want. If you want me to review a specific battery you can just send it to me and I will put it onto the queue (9V LiIon takes over a month to test).
Conrad may be an obscure company for you, but they are fairly large in German and some other countries. Somebody asked my nicely about looking on some Conrad batteries and living near Germany I believe it was a great idea and they where easy to buy (EBL is not easy to buy).

Greta

Flashaholic
Chill out gentlemen :tsk: - Gauss... if you do not find this review of any value to you, then please stay out of it. You've had your say. Now drop it. Thank you.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
EBL 9V might be OK and good value if you can find a good one, lots of complaints about the quality on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-re...tBy=recent&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=3

John.

EDIT:

What is really needed here is for someone to test the (few?) existing 2S 9V Li-ion chargers that are true CC/CV. Once we know which of them are good then we will know a good solution to recommend to the average consumer who knows little about Li-ion batteries.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
at least you are getting a protected pack with the conrad.
the 1 ebl 9v li-ion i had was junk.
and when i autopsied it it had no protection.
easy to abuse it to an early grave....or worse!

HKJ

Flashaholic
at least you are getting a protected pack with the conrad.
the 1 ebl 9v li-ion i had was junk.
and when i autopsied it it had no protection.
easy to abuse it to an early grave....or worse!

That sounds bad, a 9V LiIon must never be discharged below about 5 volt and it needs a protection circuit to secure that.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you should add a couple of EBL 9V to your test list Henrik so we can have ruling on the quality.

Gauss163 was saying the bad reviews on Amazon could be down to using poor quality included chargers.

John.

Nev

Banned
I have 6 EBL 9v lion batteries & they all cut out at 6 volts , when I charge them they all take between 580-600 mah.
I got them from feebay for £15 for 6.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have got to say guys that the thread title speaks volumes. This thread is not about EBL's. It got off topic topic with Gauss163's postings

Bill

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Another great review, thanks.

I think reviewing whatever products are out there is important, at all price ranges. It's up to the individual to decide whether the money is worth it.

I'm now using Energizer 9V lithiums in these smoke detectors we have, as the alkalines don't last very long. This gives me another option.

Last edited:

angerdan

Enlightened
Conrad may be an obscure company for you, but they are fairly large in German and some other countries.
Somebody asked my nicely about looking on some Conrad batteries and living near Germany I believe it was a great idea and they where easy to buy (EBL is not easy to buy).
Thanks HKJ! Great to see another review of 9V rechargable batteries from you :)
Btw, do you think these batteries are rechargable in the usual NiMh 9V chargers?

Conrad has a very good reputation in germany. And they sell only quality stuff. They have 25 stores in germany and 10 outside germany.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Electronic

Last edited: