Streamlight Microstream switches break repeatedly

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum and so let me first say a big "HELLO!" to everybody.

In recent years I have been using 2nd and 3rd generation Streamlight Microstream lights in my EDC. I like the Streamlight Microstream a lot as it's small, runs on AAA batteries and is quite bright for its size.

However, I keep having problems with repeatedly broken switches of this particular Streamlight model. I have had my first switch replaced about two years ago on warranty by Streamlight but yesterday realized that that exact same switch again died on me. First thought it was just a dead battery but after switching batts realized it's not. After I interchanged the switches with a different Microstream I realized it's that switch again.

I do not use the light heavily and thus do not switch it on or off a million times, still it seems that the switches for the Streamlight Microstream are the least reliable part of this model.

While I rely on the functionality of all parts of my EDC quite a bit, I also rely on the functionality of the Microstream as my source of light whenever I need it. So after two dead switches (that still click and look good) I now wonder if the Streamlight Microstream still is reliable enough to count on it ever day?

Question to you: Has anybody of you guys had problems with the switches of the Streamlight Microstream as well?

Thanks guys!
Irish.

Last edited:

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
I am certain that my Microstreams are originals for sure. Turns out that if you read 1-star product reviews on Amazon.com problems with the tail switches are a major critizism for the Microstream:

Quotes starting from 2012 already:
"...I cannot get the light to click "on". I have to keep pressing the button for light"
"Died after 3 months of minimal use."
" It never worked properly, and I can tell it's the switch since the light will briefly come on...I ended up with another switch issue."
"Great for about a month then it's like the the switch doesn't make good contact..."
"The light was great for the first 2 months. The switch became touchy the light wouldn't stay on if jiggled."

Seems that the switch makes this great little light rather unreliable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've never had an issue with a Streamlight switch and not trying to imply you are not.

What I've had trouble with on a few Streamlights including the microstream is contact issues. See they have a lockout feature that is less than ideal in many cases.

IMG_20171102_190126.jpg

The attached photo shows lockout vs non lockout.
The light closest you'll note has no coating on the threads of the tailcap, both inside and out. You can twist and twist the tailcap loose and the circuit is not broken.

The one in the rear has coated threads both inside and out, with a ring that makes the contact occur.

IMG_20171102_190212.jpg

Not a microstream but uses the same method.
The contact between the end of the lights barrel is easily interupted.

Streamlight has changed the design on newer models and added thicker o-rings to updates of previous models. So how does that help you keep a faithful friend going? Well it doesn't.

Ah, but don't fret. Instead get out your roll of alluminum foil and tear off a very small piece.

IMG_20171102_194118.jpg

A small amount will de-activate that pesky lockout feature.
Note in the photo a chunk about 1/4 around the threads was plenty. Also note I had only rotated the tailcap a couple of turns.

If that doesn't work then it's likely the switch.

Hope this helps.

Note, the stylus pro (shown) uses the same switch, tailcap and pocket clip as the microstream.

Last edited:

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
GREAT! Thank you for your efforts.

So far, I have sent my Streamight Microstream in for service and hope that the product will be permanently fixed afterwards. Still, I start to lose trust in a faithful friend (like the Microstream was for years) after you take it out of the pocket and are never certain that it can be switched on or not...

Thinking about switching to a Fenix LD02.

Cheers!

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I hear of people in real life having these issues too. When I take a look at the micro stream and the ten tap version of the same light I notice a few things. Many people hamfist it when they tighten the switch, over time it does a number on the connection. Another user I know had issues with the modes not working right and all I did was put a fresh battery in and poof! All the modes work like new again. Most are people who never clean and relube threads with proper grease. That fixes it most the time. The ones with the screw off end cap on the switch to remove the rubber switch cover will have it loose and sweat and water gets in and corrodes it. I keep some grease around mine on the inside and keep it tight to block out sweat and water. Nothing gets in to corrode. I clean and redo it when I clean and relube the threads.

Some lights need more maintenance than others and the micro stream is one, and everyone should be maintaining any light anyway at least twice a year.

I run a microstream on a safariland Rogers Rail On a Glock in 45. Never a problem and I guarantee it takes much more abuse with recoil and residue and shock of firing unknown numbers of rounds with it. No switch failure, emitter failure, battery failure, bad switch. Lots of times people don't push it hard enough to turn it on. It is a stiff switch for such a small light but is easy to turn on with the off hand mounted on the Glock.

Things made on a smaller scale will always be more delicate or finicky. From my experience with it mounted on my pistol is it takes extreme use and asks for more. Only difference between mine and the ones I've seen with issues in real life is I maintain mine and understand it's not a use it abuse it tool and get mad when I ​fail to make sure it will keep running with no problems.

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty sure that many people are quite happy with their Streamlight Microstream lights, just like I have been for years now. Yet, as I only carry a small, very small EDC I rely on every part of it and thus am quite picky on what I carry with me all day every day.

Still, as the Microstream has now let me down twice with the same problem it is out of my EDC and will be exchanged for a different product. This product served me well for many years and I loved it but now it's just time for a change.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ I hear ya bro. Don't blame you, and I'm a Streamlight fanboy.
I had a (different brand) 1x AA I really liked but the lack of confidence caused me to use something different. It's now a mechanic light for use when working on my car. No biggy if it fails.

It was doing same as your microstream.