What Are Your Favorite Pet Dog Breeds?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always had dogs, and I really enjoy their companionship. These breeds below stand out as my favorites, based on my personal interaction with them.

My top 5 are:

1. Boxer (a gentle companion dog, yet also NOT a weak pushover--very well balanced temperment, usually great with people, and usually good with other dogs if socialized as a pup IME)
2. Labrador Retriever (very sweet and happy dog--one of the most mellow and easy to train dogs in its size range)
3. Rottweiler (beautiful body and coloring, does requires firm training to reach its potential).
4. German Shepherd (nice looking, and usually with a good temperment when socialized).
5. Old English Mastiff (the ones I've known have all had good temperments)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i prefare muts.my dog is part chow and perhaps germen shepard he is very very protective but sweet as can be to me and freinds .he never barks unless there is a reason to alert me.he just kinda can tell who belongs around my property.he is very smart.he aint to playfull he wont fetch but that the chow in him.he kinda hads one problem he is kinda funny when i leave he will watch to arive home .always makes my neebers behind me laugh when i mow her grass cause he wont take his eyes off me

Flashlight Enthusiast
^I like mutts too. One of my current dogs is a mix.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newfoundlands. The gentle giants. We have had a "Newfie" for over five years now, we got Thor when he was nine months old, and he is almost six now. He is by far the best dog we've ever had. He's great with kids, very affectionate, relatively intelligent, and cute as heck. He's content to just lie around the house all day, but he enjoys the outdoors too. He loves to go hiking and backpacking with us. Our Newfoundland is very small for the breed, only 100 lbs. His father was around 160 lbs and his mother 140 lbs.

Black Labs. We've had two black lab mixes (our first dog was 1/2 black lab, 1/2 dalmation), and both were intelligent dogs, good with kids, and good companions. All of our dogs have been indoor/outdoor dogs, and both of our lab mixes were very adaptable to where we lived, whether it was out in the country or in an apartment in the city.

If you can't tell, my wife and I have a thing for black dogs. All three of the dogs we've had in the 10 years we've been married have been all black. We did a lot of research before we got a Newfie, and it turned out in addition to being available with an all black coat, Newfies are an excellent breed for a family dog. We did have to buy a bigger car for him though (a Volvo station wagon). Our next dog will definitely be another Newfoundland.

-Keith

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,
I had a rat terrier mix for many years. Nipper and I were a team. Had to put her down last April after 18 years. Not the brightest but sweet and fun.

Currently have a small (7lb) JRT female. I like the energy and the playful attiude of the dog. Got her used from a family that couldent' take care of her. Her problem, the dog has a seizure condition, so about once a week she has we we call "auto vibrate mode".

My wife has a little mix who thinks he is the toughest dog in VA. At 13lbs he can't quite pull it off. Brain the size of a walnut. Sweet but dumb.

I miss my dogs over here. Pet's are not alowed. Domestic dogs would have a very rough time here with the heat, ground, and bugs of Iraq. Feral dogs don't have a lot of fun either.

The local dogs we have been warned not to touch. This is a country that treats it's women poorly. Dog's don't stand high on Islam's chart.

What can I say. I miss my dogs and look foward to many a night infront of the tv with them in my lap.

Jack Crow in Iraq

B@rt

Flashaholic
Komondor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif They don't have a very good rep, but I kept mine in the "puppy phase" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Very lazy, she lies down most of the time, preferrably on my lap... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Komondor.gif
(not mine, I keep her trimmed, since she chews on her coat when it gets long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Something that started after an operation.)

Turt

Enlightened
I have an american eskimo mix (dunno what mommy dog was)
and a maltese. Next dog of choice will probably be a Rottweiler... like the size, look, and short hair

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Best dog I ever had was a Mostly Sheperd mix by the name of W Axel Rose (Axel).

SWEET temperment! Tennis ball fetish. Would respond to a strong "no" by stopping whatever he was doing!

Second best, third best have been Labs, Chestnut a full blooded brown Lab had training, was great with people.

Muffin a white Lab mix is an awesome mutt! She loves me so! But she's my Dads dog.

I intend to search for another Sheperd mix! Although Dobes and Rotts are awesome too.

Greta

Flashaholic
I have 5 cocker spaniels... love 'em all to death... will never have another one... not the brightest bulbs in the string... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I had a Rottweiler for 12 years... awesome animal... lovable, protective, SMART!!

And I currently have 3 English Bulldogs... I'd have a housefull of them if I could. VERY smart and laid back... extremely affectionate... VERY funny to watch... we find ourselves just laughing and smiling around them all the time. And who can resist a face like this? This is not a puppy... this is a 2 year old, 70 lb. English Bully...

Picture 089.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
That English Bulldog in the picture is sooooo cute!

DaveT

Enlightened
A collie/German shepherd mix was my childhood dog. Then a weimaraner - very smart, powerful and incredibly energetic when it was time to play/work, incredibly lazy when it was time to relax. Would curl up in as small a ball as he could on a folding lawn chair - legs poking out through the space under the armrests. Could fall asleep in 30 seconds.
Taught himself to turn and open doorknobs.
Would eat ANYTHING - picked blueberries, grapes off the plant, picked and ate green tomatoes...he would even eat watermelon rinds. Only thing I saw him turn his nose up at was lettuce...and he would chew it a few times just to make sure he wasn't missing something in the mix.
I miss that dog.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Staffordshire Terrier

Mastiff

Both incredibly affectionate, loyal, frindly. Both can be intimidating just with their presence, but would usually lick you to death.

Bill

Wylie

Enlightened
I like Chows and I would like to get a Sheba-Inu sometime although a Sheba-Inu Australasian Shepard mix may just be the ticket for me. I like a lot of the characteristics of both breeds.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
German Shepherds,

I've had four over the years and they've all been great, well 3 have and the fourth was just neurotic! Something about GSD's which I've noticed over the years is just how devoted they are. All mine have lived with the family and there wasn't one which was 'suspect' about its temperament with the wife and Kids.

Doug

leng

Newly Enlightened
Ok gotta jump in here too..
Siberian Huskies... here's mine

timber.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
snoop he mostly chow or at least thats how he looks to me and part lol who knows kinda just a mutt
snoop.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a gorgeous Husky, leng.

You got a very nice looking dog too, raggie33.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing those photos, Sasha, leng and raggie.

I've never had a dog, but if I was to get one tomorrow, I'd look for a Golden Retriever. Although the descriptions of some of the others here could change my mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif