anyone buy batteries from Costco?

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I was curious to see if buying batteries is actually alot cheaper than in the stores. Lets say, a 4 pack of C cell duracells would cost $4.50 in walmart, etc. How much would that same amount cost you at Costco?, I am just trying to decide if I should get a membership there for my main battery purchases, and other things. Thanks in advance..

Negeltu

Enlightened
Have you checked the dollar stores? The one up the road from me carries packs of 4 panasonic batteries for $1 a pack.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't directly answer your question, but indirectly....... I shopped them long ago and their prices on batteries are cheaper than most other places. They offer two types of packaging (I don't know what it is currently, but....) . They'll have 3 or 4 sets of 4 in a package that are designed for resale and they'll have bulk packs with singles like 16 or 24 or whatever. Obviously the ones for resale are more expensive than the bulk.

Even though I found them to be cheaper, I found that if I bought cells when they were on sale, I could get them cheaper still. I stock up on them whenever they're on sale and I usually pay 20-25¢ for AAs & AAAs.

If you're not a shopper, then you'll still save a little comparing apples to apples at Costco. They have their own brand of AAs in a bulk pack that everyone seems to like and they are quite a bit less.

I couldn't do without my Costco membership. I trust their products and they have great customer service. They have the best electronics return policy anywhere (one year electronics and six months on computer stuff). I've been a member since the 80's.

The only problem is when I go in to pick up one item, it seems I can't get out of there for less than $50 - $100.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Yes, C's D's AA's and AAA's... I've used them all and they are pretty good. I haven't had any trouble with them.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
sweet, looks like I will be going there tomorrow. Thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The Panasonic batteries you get at 4/$1.00 are zinc-carbon or zinc chloride cells, not alkalines. They're ok for lots of purposes but they have shorter shelf life and around a third to a half of the capacity of alkalines.

Jarndyce

Newly Enlightened
I buy all of my AA, AAA, C and D Duracells at my local Costco

28 pack of Duracell AA's $11-12
16 pack of Duracell AA Ultra's $8-9

Sorry, I can't remember the other prices.

Also, the Ultra AA and AAA 16 packs of Ultras are packaged with 4 batteries in 4 cardboard boxes. It's a great way to carry spares in my camera bag.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a pack of 48 AA batteries for just under $10 a couple months ago before I left the states. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but since they are half the price of Duracells, even at Costco, I figure that if they last just 3/4 as long a the name brands I'm coming out ahead.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use only the Costco AA's... I cannot tell the difference between them and brand "D" (not anything scientific--just normal use). Although, I felt that the Kirkland brand was actually working better under heavy loads...

I searched some earlier CPF Costco battery threads and found this report.

[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
I had a funny experience with Costco batteries. When they became available again recently I bought a box.

Thinking these were not as good as regular brand names I chose these to benchmark all my flashlights using the same batteries and different DC/DC converters. After I ran a bunch of tests I finally decided to run Duracell and Energizers to add to my data collection.

I was shocked. The Costco batteries beat both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco has one of the best deals around on batteries, they are always in stock, and they make great batteries. So yes I buy them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy the large packs of Duracell batteries at Costco. At my Costco, they carry Duracell packs in AAA, AA, C, and D.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont forget walmarts everactive brand.
for an example i bought 12 d cells for $6.59.
btw they are rayovacs
same package and the cells are identical exept the label.