Tec 20 vs Tec 40 for Everled?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that 4 cells are supposed to give a little better performance than 2 with an Everled; but is this really noticeable to the eye in practice? I was considering these lights for hosts for colored Everleds (color of the led to match the flashlight's so I know which I'm picking up). I'm considering the smaller size of the Tec 20, and that it would make a cool light. Not that the 40 is bad, but it's just larger. Runtime isn't the issue here for me. It's Tec 20 size vs Tec 40 output. But, if the output difference is really noticeable, I'll go with the 40's. Opinions, or anyone have both and have tried Everleds in them?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah, got both. Have tried everled in both. Go with the tec 40. The everled starts to drop in brightness right about 3 volts. Soooo, unless you're running new alkalines all the time, get ready for constant dimming. (please no smart alecks talking about lithiums!)

FWIW I have discharge curves for the everled. Someone should graph and post them.

Also, the tec 40 with an everled is one of my favorite lights. Since everleds are the same price, go with the white.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really; so the Everled will pretty much start to dim right away on 2AA? They would fall under 3V fast. No, I do want to use alks, not lithiums. Discharge curves? I have the white, red, amber and blue Everleds.

turbodog

Flashaholic
***caution, nerd alert***

Data I logged by hand once per minute while my 4 aa batteries discharged through an everled. I have several runs.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two EverLEDs that will run at about one volt whereas all the rest will at most flash upon power-up and then go dead unless they have 1.4-1.5V. Mine are the older non-protected type. I use them in two lights that have rather dead batteries in them: a 2D at 1.35V and a 4D at 1.45V. The only other device I have that will make light with that voltage is a 4-cell PR-based single 5mm LED, but it is not bright.

Does anyone know if the new reverse polarity protected ones have a higher (typical) minimum voltage?

14C

Enlightened
I suspect they would have a higher voltage requirement because the cheap way to make them polarity protected would be to install a diode in series..with the voltage drop incurred.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're thinking of putting an everled in a tec40, you may do about as well just buying a UKE 4aa eLED. That light is just $20 from Brightguy and is more compact than the tec40.