Small 2x123 (side-by-side) light for EDC??

Prolepsis

Enlightened
The majority of 2x123 lights have the two batteries "on top" of each other, which results in a "longish" shape light (a la L4, E2e, and so on).

Does anyone know why there aren't any more lights like the SureFire X200, where the 123s are right beside each other? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

I'm wondering because although the X200 isn't the most ergonomically comfortable light (it is meant to be mounted on a weapon, after all), I really like its small size *and* the fact that it uses two 123s. Two 123s result in longer runtimes, and in general, in brighter (harder driven) LEDs or incans. With more and more lights having different brightness settings, I would love a 2x123 that can blast out a lot of light, or run for a looong time. And be in a small and short EDC package.

In terms of perceived volume, the X200 doesn't feel much bigger than an ARC4 or any other standard one-123 light. In fact, check out my picture of the ARC4 and the X200--both are pretty small.

For belt or holster carry, I prefer to carry something like the X200 (wider rather than longer) vs something like an X5, L4, and so on. Mainly, when I am moving about, sitting, and so on, something that is shorter is less noticeable on my hip. This is why I mainly carry my ARC4 on my belt and typically not my L4 or other similar light.

Am I alone in this regard? Of course, in a few years, hopefully with improvements in technology, we'll have small 1x123-sized lights that blast out 5-500 lumens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you on the desire for a side by side battery configuration for EDC. My best guess is that it is less expensive to manufacture from a single straight tube of aluminum, rather than machine something out of a rectangular solid billet. I suspect that a full blown CNC machine would be able to do the job though.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree too. For a long time before I found this site, I EDC'ed a UK 2AAA side by side light. It was much less obtrusive tocarry than the end to end version.

How about a side by side 123 light with two heads side by side too, 1 with a turned down P61, the other with a dimmable 5W LED.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I agree on the form suggested here and I can only hope that such a light is visited by the manufacturers. In the mean time, I think the X200 can be modified acceptably for such an EDC. With the rails removed, that "side" of the light is begging for some type of ergonomic as well as utilitarian "cover" or side plate. WIth the simple modification to the tail switch for 2 level output, this light can be modified to a unit that sets the bar rather high for those who might want to design such a tool from the ground up. JMHO

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...why there aren't any more lights like the SureFire X200, where the 123s are right beside each other?"

Likely because the defacto form has BEEN the round, cylindrical tube for so long. Holster makers have been making their products around this form as well. The public has acclimated to this. Serious users have been training with this form factor as well. Nothing wrong with the shape of the battery tube of the X200. The Streamlight M-Series Weaponlights are similar.

Carrying the X200 IN a pocket might be, comparatively, more challenging when a product such as the tiny Surefire E2 exists. Try carrying the X200 in a lightweight dress shirt pocket. Repeat with the E2.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Stainless: I'm sure you're probably right regarding the increased cost. How about one made out of plastic? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Stingray: I forgot about the UK 2AAA. Waterproof to boot! Too bad it doesn't fit 2x123s or is super bright (IMO) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

McGizmo: With my stock X200, I actually use it with the rails attached--just feels more comfortable that way. Of course, this is because mine is in stock form. I've seen the pictures of your modded X200s though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't get me wrong--I love my X200. But, because it is designed to be mounted on a weapon, the momentary and press up/down on switch isn't the most ergonomic, or in the most comfortable place (for an EDC). And fair enough--this is a weaponlight, not an EDC light. Having said that, if SureFire makes minor modifications to the X200--different optics, different switch positions--and markets it as an EDC or general carry light, the size of the light would be perfect.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kogatana said:
Serious users have been training with this form factor as well.

<snip>

Carrying the X200 IN a pocket might be, comparatively, more challenging when a product such as the tiny Surefire E2 exists. Try carrying the X200 in a lightweight dress shirt pocket. Repeat with the E2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point regarding serious users and their training with traditional form factors.

Even an ARC is too heavy/big for me to carry in a shirt pocket! For me, I prefer to carry my lights on a holster or belt clip, rather than in my pocket. As a result, I prefer short and squat rather than thin and tall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....McGizmo, I think you're one of the few with the knowledge, skills, creativity and equipment to design a double headed one from the ground up. I'll buy the first one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have built 2 prototypes of this already, with a multi Luxeon head. Non trivial and a lot more expensive to make a good seal than a single tube design. So far, mine are too large and heavy to be EDC, but are multi battery long. Not ready for pics yet.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about this form factor for quite some time, but I haven't anything on paper yet... it WILL happen, though.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:
I've been thinking about this form factor for quite some time, but I haven't anything on paper yet... it WILL happen, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woot! 2x123 Firefly! I'm in--how do I preorder? Hehe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

To everyone else: seems like cost/ease of creating is the current stumbling block. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in liking this form factor, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
DSpeck, I would also be extremely interested in a form factor such as the one being discussed. Count my vote in for a two barrel Firefly in HA, beautiful!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DSpeck said:

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you are planning to push the envelope, consider having two switches, one for each battery. (Built in backup power supply.)

DBrier

Enlightened
Here is another idea...
Take your surefire apart, lay the head and tail BESIDE the battery tube while touching each other.
Does that give anyone any ideas?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Yes, that gives me some ideas, but who am I supposed to touch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasabe, thanks, I'll try and get down there to get some. I have some similar stuff coming in from a fellow in the US (see MMM forum re: housing materials) as well.

Stainless, good idea, and I probably will use something like that.

BTW, I am thinking a somewhat bigger light than a 2x123 FF, though. Something a little more elaborate... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Harry, please post pics when you can. We're all interested... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif