Thrunite TN42 Issue

harro

Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Just curious if anyone has the same issue as me, with their TN42. In practice, the led emits the faintest amount of light hours after it is last used. With the naked eye, I can only see it when using my peripheral vision in a dark room. Sort of looking at a feint star at night, and you can only see it when you look a bit to one side. If you look directly at it, it disappears. The pics are a control in a lit room, and the effect. It happens with any cells and when the light is turned off with the cells not locked out. If the cells are locked out, it disappears as soon as connection is broken. No control shot of that, as its just a black screen. The effect shot is at ISO2,500, 30sec exposure and f4.5. Otherwise, the light performs flawlessly. I have left cells in for weeks on end with only a .01 or .02V drop, nothing more than you would expect. In this pic, the light has not been switched on for over 24 hours, and the cells have not been locked out. Its not a problem I would do anything about, just wondering if there are other TN42's out there that do the same thing.

RFAbDNH.jpg

c6Czaz3.jpg

Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited:

ncvarmint2016

Enlightened
One of the 4 leds in my TN40s does that. But i haven't put a second thought into it. I would like to know what causes that myself

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your peripheral vision uses more rods as photoreceptors and are much sensitive to light than cones which are mostly used in the center of your eye. Seems like parasitic voltage is reaching tour LED and causing just oh so slightest amount of energy to give it the glow.